Problem with the sky

bitdman

Question

I'm getting what appears to be vector lines eminating out from a random point in the sky flashing on and off. Is this texture popping or a form of Z-fighting? Or is it a crossfire problem? I have tried un-installing all "sky ,moon and thunder sounds" mods but no differance. I have the latest ATI beta driver 12.11

Zfighting occurs with overlapping meshes, and,to my knowledge, the entire sky in skyrim in one big mesh. I want to say texture popping and z fighting refer to the same thing, but clarify if it doesn't. A lot of people have reported seeing lines flickering in and out in the sky, but it sounds like its a somewhat universal problem and you have to look exceptionally hard to see it. Does this describe what you are seeing at all?

If the effect is very noticeable,as in not subtle, my first guess for a problem like this would be graphics artifacting. This can be caused by a variety of things.

"If the effect is very noticeable,as in not subtle, my first guess for a problem like this would be graphics artifacting. This can be caused by a variety of things. "

I think you're right. It is probably a graphics artifacting problem. What do I need to do to correct it? If I don't look up at the sky I don't notice anything wrong,but look up and it's terrible,unplayable. It kinda looks like somthing is overlapping and tring to copy over another layer. Very annoying and I haven't had this problem ever before. See my signature for changes to my PC.

Ah ok. I would advise disabling crossfire as a first step when playing skyrim. The ATI drivers for crossfire in skyrim are abyssmal, and they always have been for bethesda titles. That might clear up the problem right there.

If it doesn't clear up the problem, then you main display card (the one running skyrim) would have the graphics artifacting issues. If you are overclocking your GPUs return them to stock. If that doesn't help or if they are already at stock, return the card for an RMA. There is a very old tool that can test for artifacting. It was meant for cards made several years ago, but you can try it on your setup:

https://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

If you notice any yellow dots, that indicates GPU artifacting.

Your situation is a little more complicated also, because you have two gpus. Ideally you should test both individually to make sure both are working correctly.

Also, just in case, I would reinstall your graphics drivers. Download this program here:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/358947/geforce-drivers/how-to-correctly-remove-graphics-card-drivers-/1

It will make sure any and all graphics driver files are deleted and your system is completely clearn of GPU drivers. From there re install 12.11 (or whatever the most up to date version is).

Thanks for the replies guys! I was mistaken about the problem being only the sky. It is happening everywhere except the map. Somtimes it's horizonal but mostly verticle and vshaped when I get a ggod look at it I can see trees and mountains trying to display but the backgroun is already there. Kinda like two backgrounds and one is not able to fully materialize. Ill play around a bit to see if I can fix it.

Thanks again and any other ideas woul sure be appreciated. I spent a lot on the CPU,GPU and motherboard to improve on my last build,and know more trouble. I won't give up!

Also. Z-fighting is severe and the verticle flashes look like white lightening.

That sounds to me like GPU artifacting at its finest. Reinstall drivers from scratch and disable crossfire. There is a very good chance one of your cards might need an RMA.

I put in a different graphics card and diabled crossfire and no change. I uninstalled all mods with wrye and no change. Could my original game files have become corrupt? Will that cause  artifacting?

I'm not sure this goes off topic. But, When validating skyrim files steam indicated that 5 files were missing, and it installed 4 of them, it would not install or say what the 5th file was. Do I need to enable updates in skyrim unplugged in order to get all files required from steam?

I'm not sure this goes off topic. But When validating skyrim files steam indicated that 5 files were missing, and it installed 4 of them, it would not install or say what the 5th file was. Do I need to enable updates in skyrim unplugged in order to get all files required from steam?

Yes, you need to have updates enabled.

At this point, I would suggest uninstalling skyrim through steam, deleting your skyrim folder from steam, and then reinstalling skyrim through a steam download. Until you can be certain your game folder is up to date and uncorrupted you can't do anything else to troubleshoot your problem.

There's really no need for that.

I believe SIG or Wrye Bash guide have instructions for restoring a clean install of Skyrim. Not hard at all and will save you a lot of time by avoiding downloads of large files.

I'm not sure this goes off topic. But When validating skyrim files steam indicated that 5 files were missing, and it installed 4 of them, it would not install or say what the 5th file was. Do I need to enable updates in skyrim unplugged in order to get all files required from steam?

Yes, you need to have updates enabled.

A brief follow-up, but it appears that Steam has changed the way that the Automatic Updates setting is handled. It is no longer reading the value from the registry for Skyrim, but it still works for the Creation Kit. All of this seems to be very closely related...

Steam Client Update - Oct. 23

Skyrim 1.8 beta - Oct. 24

Skyrim 1.8 - Nov. 1

Somewhere in the time frame above and beyond, users report getting a message from Steam that it must optimize game files when attempting to launch Skyrim.

Needless to say, it's back to the drawing board for Skyrim Unplugged.

I have been trying different things for two days now and nothing seems to make a differance I have noticed though It doesn't happen indoors or if I don't look up at the horizon. When I look at the sky in some spots it gets really bad, almost like a light show with flashing triangle like shapes mostly white but somtimes I can see colored shapes and distant trees flashing in and out. Like a very serious case of Z-fighting.