Script to install Mod Organizer and other tools to fresh Skyrim + mod install automation

Pulec

Question

I wanted to have automated process to install 'Skyrim Moding Base' to fresh Steam installation, so I wrote this simple unpacking python script - github.com/Pulecz/SkyrimModding

During sorting all the mods I came up with mod_name_validator.py also on the github. With its help I have made this table, with custom description and comments.

There are perhaps too much unnecessary and big mods like Skyrim Immersive Creatures, Immersive Weapons, Static Mesh Improvement Mod and Apophysis Dragon Priest Masks. But I added them because other mods or their installers had compability patches for them and I did not want to reinstall the mods later figuring out the compability patches.

I tried to follow Skyrim Revisited - Legendary Edition and latest STEP guide a bit + mods I have used some year before (those recommended by USLEEP) and mods from skyrimgems.

Of course I wanted to continue the automation to install at least the USLEEP and most important bug fixes + SkyUI and some mods that every sane person uses.

The easiest way was to just install those mods then make an archive of mods and profile, then run the install script and unpack the archive.

But as the mods dependencies gets more complex and compability patches or installers show up, things get more complicated.

So what are the ways to automate mod installing?

There was SASTEP but it seems to be dead for some time.

There is YAMM.

Tannin wrote Mod Organizer Plugin to install mods from csv file. But it wanted to download mods from Nexus and there could be issues...

So we could have some kind of mirror where the mods would be synchronized to latest version with Nexus, provided that certain mod authors agreed to it. Then some supersmart database with all the mods dependencies, conflicts, load orders and other stuff would have to exist and some Mod Organizer plugin to handle the installation. Perhaps some mods can be merged as one and the installers could be installed with preselected options, for example in cases we are sure that mod A is not going to be installed so the installer would uncheck combality patches for mod A.

My goal is not make the script usable by everyone and especially the whole modding process should not be a one click thing, but it could be somehow simplified, right?

4 answers to this question

Hi,

I have a question. Its along the similar lines but has a different objective. You seem to have some Python skill judging by reading your post.  I just made a feature request for a small feature on ModOrganizer2's GitHub and Tannin says its a great plugin idea. Problem is my programming is in other very different languages, and a long time ago. :| If you would do it I will be happy to test it and help any way I can.  Here is the link.

https://github.com/TanninOne/modorganizer/issues/467

I have watched for some time hoping an automation would evolve for STEP. I too have a lengthy list of must have mods for Skyrim and STEP is the foundation of it but WOW it takes a while for a clean setup done right. :)

I don't have enough current knowledge of any useful languages to help build a solution, but will offer my aid in testing of any solutions you develop on this line. 

Robert

Edited by rdunlap

Hi,

I have a question. Its along the similar lines but has a different objective. You seem to have some Python skill judging by reading your post.  I just made a feature request for a small feature on ModOrganizer2's GitHub and Tannin says its a great plugin idea. Problem is my programming is in other very different languages, and a long time ago. :| If you would do it I will be happy to test it and help any way I can.  Here is the link.

https://github.com/TanninOne/modorganizer/issues/467

I have watched for some time hoping an automation would evolve for STEP. I too have a lengthy list of must have mods for Skyrim and STEP is the foundation of it but WOW it takes a while for a clean setup done right. :)

I don't have enough current knowledge of any useful languages to help build a solution, but will offer my aid in testing of any solutions you develop on this line. 

Robert

My python scripts are very simple compared to plugins with Qt for Mod Organizer. :-)

I failed even to get HelloWorld working, details on reddit.com/r/ModOrganizer.

However If I understand your request correctly I think it would be easiest to just make class_Fighter, class_Mage and etc folders in ModOrganizer/mods, copy all esp and other files required and I just activate these "mod packs". I can't really imagine how to do same thing just by ModOrganizer.

But maybe I just misunderstood.

Tannin says its just +3 lines to HelloWorld example, it must be easy then. :-)

At least for Tannin right? I have most of my experience in COBOL with some occasional forays into FORTRAN 77 where needed. As you can imagine Qt wouldn't be an intuitive jump. I am sorely tempted to start reading it to see, but wouldn't dream of trying to inflict something I did on anyone else since I know just enough to make me understand my ignorance.

In essence I do that now I take the first in a set of mods I plan to group together and install it then I Rename it to the appropriate overall group and begin using explorer at that point to drag and drop esp/esm and resources. Its just several steps and having a button in MO or a context menu item to just trigger a popup *(the one used by MO for Mod name is perfect) and if it don't return empty string then make the folder with the name. Single step workflow. May even be possible to get a handle to the MO popup and pre-populate the drop down with suggestions like it does during a mod installation (Fighter, Mage, Thief, and BugFixes are my most used). 

Robert

RESOLVED:
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/3tmzn7/expanding_on_we_need_a_pcpartpicker_for_skyrim/

rdunlap, go to reddit.com/r/skyrimmods and then SkyrimMods IRC and lets talk about your needs there. :-)

Btw python is really quite easy, if you understand COBOL and FORTRAN you should be able to write some good stuff in few days, google and stackoverflow can always help. :-)
Start here: reddit.com/r/learnpython or just learnpythonthehardway.org (its not that hard, you just need to start with something doable)