MO reduces size everytime I launch it

amourfou

Question

After I launch MO, I expand the program and size it to expand all the columns.  Before, when I closed and then relaunched MO it would return to the same size it was when I last used the program.  Now, after I close MO, when I launch it again it shrinks in size to the smallest size possible. All columns have collapsed and are not visible. I have to re-size it now, every time I close and relaunch the program.

This only recently started happening. I edited the categories.dat file inside the Mod Organizer folder to customize the categories. The re-sizing problem started after I recently edited the categories.dat file by changing the spelling of a category I added earlier.

Can anyone help me with this. What should I do to get MO to open when I re-launch it to the same size it was when I last used it. Thanks for any help.

7 answers to this question

The window geometry is stored in ModOrganizer.ini in the same folder as the MO executable. You may have a corrupt ModOrganizer.ini or Windows UAC may be preventing the ini from updating.

Close MO and try renaming ModOrganizer.ini and restart MO, MO will create a new file. You will have to re-do executables and some settings in the configuration area.

Thanks GSDFan for the very quick response, much appreciated.

I deleted the ModOrganizer.ini per your recommendation. I read more of the STEP MO guide re: customizing categories. I deleted the categories.dat and made new category changes within MO and not by opening my categories.dat file that I had done before which seems to have started my problem.

I launched MO and with the new ModOrganizer.ini file it acted like I was using it for the first time. I changed the size of MO and then closed the program.  When I relaunched the program it launched to the way it was after I had made some changes to the size, like I am used to and it seemed your suggestions had fixed my problem.

But after I re-did the executables and settings, and before I attempted any changes to customize categories, I closed MO.

When I re-launched MO it shrunk in size and my problem is back.

I noticed a window opening for just a moment just before MO launches, this window didn't appear before my problems started. Since my problems started this window always opens, just after the MO logs appears, and just before the MO program launches. It is a tiny window and says: Activating Network Proxy.

Perhaps this new info will help you with solving my shrinking window problems. 

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. 

Welcome to STEP @amourfou

A very odd situation you have. Could you open the MO.ini in a text editor such as Notepad and find a line that looks like this:

window_geometry=@ByteArray(\x1\xd9\xd0\xcb\0\x2\0\0\0\0\0R\0\0\0~\0\0\x6\x8c\0\0\x3j\0\0\0Z\0\0\0\x9d\0\0\x6\x84\0\0\x3\x62\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\a\x80)

Copy that line and paste it into a new text file called anything you like and save it.

Now open MO and resize it to something you want and then close it. Reopen the MO.ini and copy that same line into the text file you made and compare the two. If they are different then MO is saving the needed window geometry correctly and all is fine on MO's side. If they are the same then there is a problem we need to solve. Either your INI's are read-only, not likely as you can save the executables you set. Or something is making changes to your MO window in the background.

If you have any anti-virus software make sure to set an exemption for MO in the settings. Likewise for firewalls or similar.

On start up there is a brief check made by MO for an active network connection so that the status of your Nexus account can be made. If there is any issue with that connection there might (very slender) be a chance this is related, and that "Activating Network Proxy" message might be significant.

At any rate your INI and the logs from the logs folder will assist us.

Thanks for the reply to my post GrantSP.

I finally found out what the problem was. It seems it had nothing to do with the categories.dat or ModOrganizer.ini files.

I went back to the settings window and checked everything one step at a time and closed and relaunched MO with each step.

It turns out that when i go to the Nexus panel in Settings and check the box for "Use HTTP Proxy (Uses System Settings), I get my problem which is; I size MO the way I like it, close the program, relaunch MO and it has collapsed to min size on my desktop forcing me to re-size MO and adjust all the columns every time i re-launch MO (very annoying).

When i un-check that box in Settings-Nexus, the problem goes away and when I close and re-launch MO it stays at the size and column widths that I has left it at my last session with MO.

Perhaps I have set up something wrong that is causing checking that box to create this problem. For the moment i have left the box unchecked and I browse to the Nexus website outside of MO

Let me know if you know what the settings should be so that I could use Nexus within MO properly.

Thanks for any help.

To GrantSP:

The only reason I checked that box in Settings-Nexus was because I read something somewhere that advised me to do so.

To be honest I have no Idea what that was now, sorry.  I"m just glad it seems I really don't need to check that box and that I definitively found the cause of my problem with sizing MO at shut-down and re-launch.

I hope this info helps others who have experienced the same problem and couldn't figure out what was causing it.

Thanks you all for responding to my posts so quickly and offering a lot of useful advice, much appreciated.