MO and multiple profiles

Vodu2040

Question

I run several profiles in MO, S.T.E.P, SRLE, SRLE with test mods, and a few others that use SRLE as a base.

My question is, and maybe I didn't see the answer elsewhere, is it possible to save the Bashed Patch, RSPatch, Vivid Snow patch, FNIS and any other patch that has to be rebuilt every time I change profiles so I don't have to run Wrye Bash and rebuild those patches every time?

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

Save them with different names based on the profiles. Then only tick the ones you are using in the left pane for each profile.

Example: "Bashed Patch profile 1", "Bashed Patch profile 2", etc.

Do the same with any mods you need to install with different options for the different profiles.

Save them with different names based on the profiles. Then only tick the ones you are using in the left pane for each profile.

Example: "Bashed Patch profile 1", "Bashed Patch profile 2", etc.

Do the same with any mods you need to install with different options for the different profiles.

I thought that's what I was doing, but when I try to run RSPatcher for example, it tells me it is already patched and ends. And FNIS seems to mess up as well...I will check again, thanks!

Hmm, in theory it should work, but I have to say I've never actually tried it. I stick with my one profile and play. :-P

Make sure you run your patchers in the same order you usually do, with later ones unticked until you get to them. Basically, just make sure you are doing the procedure the same as you usually would.

Beyond that, I'm personally not sure. Please reply back with your results...now I'm curious. If it still doesn't work, maybe someone with more experience, like GrantSP, may know.

In the profile that you need to run FNIS or RSPatcher, look carefully down the left pane to make sure any generated patches for other profiles are unchecked. For example, you may have Profile 1 with "FNIS Output 1" so you need to make sure "FNIS Output 1" in Profile 2 is unchecked so GenerateFNISForUsers can't find it. The same goes for the patches generated by RSPatcher and any other patcher.

One of the confusing factors with Mod Organizer's profile system (and one that drives me bonkers) is that every mod in Profile 1 appears in Profile 2 and vice versa, so it can be a bit too confusing to keep things straight.

EDIT: One last thing... any files created as a result of running GenerateFNISForUsers or a patcher must be created into a new mod with a unique name (say FNIS Output). If you drag the files from Overwrite into the FNIS mod instead of creating a new mod, it may cause issues when you try to run the patches in another profile.

What I have that seems to be causing the problems are SRLE profile and  SRLE Extended profile which uses a copy of SRLE profile as a base.

When I installed SRLE and ran all the patches everything was fine. Enter SRLE Extended, same mods with added mods as well. Ran patches, all seemed well, HOWEVER, when I went back to SRLE it was telling me I had missing masters on RSPatch.esp and Vivid Snow.esp. Those mods were unchecked in the SRLE profile, and trying to run RSPatch and Real Snow Patch causes TES5Edit to complain and not finish.

EDIT: One last thing... any files created as a result of running GenerateFNISForUsers or a patcher must be created into a new mod with a unique name (say FNIS Output). If you drag the files from Overwrite into the FNIS mod instead of creating a new mod, it may cause issues when you try to run the patches in another profile.

Maybe I am not sure I am doing this right...say I have Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS as a folder, and MO points to that folder for the .exe after running the output is always in overwrite? so I copy those files to a new folder say FNIS SRLE Output? 

Does MO write the output to the Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS folder or the overwrite folder and I copy those files to a new folder/mod?

Same with the RSPatch...even before I run these, there seems to be files in the overwrite folder...

The more I think about this, the more I am confusing myself I think...it's not rocket science...

It sounds like you have fallen into the trap that @Greg was highlighting to you.

Let's say you have two profiles: Profile1 & Profile2.

You organise the first profile and run the various patchers and the results from these are found in the 'Overwrite' folder. Most likely you have FNIS output and you should create a mod from the folder and name it FNIS--Output--Profile1"". Then you might run a 'proccer' patcher and likewise the resultant files that are in 'Overwrite' should be created into a mod named according to that profile. Repeat for all the patches you make.

Now with Profile2 you add in the extra mods and order them correctly and again run all the needed tools to patch this set of mods. Each time naming the created mod from 'Overwrite' specifically to match the profile name.

The thing to remember with MO is this: any file that DID NOT EXIST when any of the tools were run, is saved into the 'Overwrite' folder. This is because MO's VFS only works for file that exist at runtime, any new ones it doesn't know where to place them, hence ALL new files are dumped into this 'Overwrite' folder. What this means is, if you have already ran a patcher and it is still active in the left-hand pane, those files now DO EXIST in the VFS and the tools will see them and assume they need updating, which they happily do. Remember none of these tools were made with the knowledge that at some point another tool, MO, will trick the file-system into thinking there is more than one set files in the Data directory.

So to avoid this you must always uncheck all mods that contain patched files in any new profile you are working with.

It sounds confusing but makes perfect sense when you stop and think about what MO is doing. Profiles are a collection of files with the same names and structures that are switched around by MO so our games see them.

The files they contain are exactly the same when they are from a mod downloaded from Nexus. SkyUI contains an ESM and a BSA and in every profile you have the EXACT same files are used.

However when YOU patch a game with FNIS or RSPatch or whatever, the files created are not the same in each profile, they are dependent on the mods YOU HAVE ACTIVE. That's what these patchers are designed for, custom sets of mods active together. As soon as you switch profiles, that set of mods is completely different, the patches you just made are for another set.

Imagine you and your friend have differing tastes in mods and he patches his game and then says: "Hey do want my patches, I just made them?" Basically the same thing happens when you switch profiles, they won't work.

It sounds like you have fallen into the trap that @Greg was highlighting to you.

I stepped away from the computer and went to bed.  After reading these posts again, it suddenly clicked, I think my eyes and brain must have been fried because it really is easy.

Thanks for everyone's assistance in helping me see the light!