S.T.E.P. instructions state "merge" files when asked? Nope.

aba42

Question

Detailed Instructions Available for Improved Closefaced Helmets state:  "Download and install the "Improved Closefaced Helmets (Legendary Edition)" and the "Update - Male corundum Dragon Priest mask texture fix" update file. Merge when asked for installing the update file."

I installed the Main File, I then installed the Update.  I was not asked about Merging the two files.  The installed files show separately in the left pane of MO, but only the Main File shows on the right pan of MO.  So, does Mod Orgnizer "merge" an Update into the main file upon installation?  Or did i install it incorrectly?  Or am I supposed to merge pre-Install?  Or is there a drop-down menu piece that's supposed to merge these two files?  What'd I miss, as I'm sure this will come up again later.  Thanks!

12 answers to this question

MO will ask to merge the files if the filenames are the same. Usually, MO will make the filename the same for an update if it knows the Nexus ID (which it usually does if you download with manager), but maybe in this case it didn't. You can re-name the update to match whatever name you gave Improved Closefaced Helmets and you will see this screen.

Ah, perfect.  I had been downloading them manually, then having MO install them.  But, you're correct, when I had MO download them, then had MO install them, this time it asked what I wanted to do with the second file, and I was able to merge them.  Thank you!

I downloaded and installed the Staff of Magnus Hotfix.  I did not see any option to install it into another Mod.  But the Addon, Hotfix and Path Fix Instructions (under aMidianBornBookofSilence) states that I need to:  "Download and install the Staff of Magnus Hotfix (into aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Unique Items)".  I cannot find any available button or switch or right-click option to do this.   What I did was load "Staff of Magnus Hotfix" immediately after "aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Unique Items" in the left pane of Mod Organizer.  Or is that what the instructions mean?  Help, please.

P.S.  I have another question, related to this aMidianBookofSIlence Mod(s).  There's a STEP Warning that states:  Warning: The Bashed Patch must be used (instructions later in the Guide) when installing the Content Addon! Failing to do so will cause issues (e.g., naked NPCs).

Does this mean that, even though there are instructions for installing the Content Addon at the bottom of the page, I should hold off doing so, and install it later with WryeBash?  Or does that mean, go ahead and install the Content Addon now (which I did), and then just make sure to run WryeBash later?  I'd appreciate clarification on this.  Thanks!

When you install the Staff of Magnus hotfix, Mod Organizer pops up a dialog with the name of the mod at the top. Change the mod name to be the same as aMidianborn Book of Silence - Unique Items and click Install. It will then popup a dialog asking if you want to merge the hotfix into the main mod.

Install Content Addon now and then create the bashed patch when you reach that part of the guide.

AHHH, I'd not thought of doing that.  The problem I had was, if I'd been able to download it with MO, it would have presented me with that option when I installed it.  But this Hotfix didn't have a MO Download option.  Thank you.  And, thank you, as well, concerning timing of WryeBash!  Back at it.

Well, I tried it, and when I selected "merge", it APPEARED to install the MOD, but then I got an error message stating "aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Unique Items not found".  I clicked OK, but have no idea whether the Staff of Magnus Hotfix was merged with the file, or not.??

aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Unique Items is still sitting right where it had been.  Is there some easy way to find out (through MO...like with the FileTree) whether the "Hotfix" actually was made?  And, do I need to worry about that error message?

Okay, I've narrowed my question down. I manually unzipped the hotfix file, checked out the creation date and time and compared it to the creation date and time in the meshes-weapons-staffofmagnus folder and they were identical.  So, my remaining question is, may I safely ignore the error I got after the merge was completed?  Or does that mean I need to check out something else?

That worked just fine.  I didn't receive an error this time....now, if I could just figure out why nothing happens when I run LOOT or TES5Edit or anything, despite the fact that they all appear to be set up correctly.  But, that's my other, currently-pending question.  This one's done.  And THANK YOU!!