STEP Vanilla Optimized Installs fine (bsa), not in Archive.

aba42

Question

Having started S.T.E.P. 2.2.9.2. from scratch, I've gotten up to STEP Optimized Vanilla Textures.  The specific instructions state:  "Simply download and install one of the Optional Files and then check the archive in the Archives tab."  I downloaded the Standard Definition (2.8gb) file with MO, installed it with MO, moved it directly beneath Unofficial High Resolution Patch in the Load  Order on the left pane, checked it, then selected the Archive Tab on the right pane...and the last item on the list is the Unofficial High Resolution Patches, which I'd checked when I installed it.  Is there supposed to also be an entry below that for STEP Vanilla Optimized Textures = Standard Version?  I've waited overnight for it to show up (due to the size of the MOD), but so far, no change.

6 answers to this question

Well,okay.  So, I uninstalled STEP Optimized Vanilla Textures from my new profile, re-installed it, got asked if I wanted to merge or overwrite the existing one (as I did not uninstall my previous attempt, I only created a new Vanilla Profile to commence again, as instructed), as the files are being written into the same MOD directory.  So, I chose Replace, it installed (at least MO stated it was in the bottom pane.  But, now I can not find it in either left or right pane.  Am I supposed to go manually delete all MOD's installed by the previous installation simply because they occupy the same physical space?  Or is it ok to overwrite them as I install them in a new profile?  The Cleaned Update ESM files, Unofficial Skyrim legendary Edition Patch, and Unofficial High Resolution Patch all seemed to replace and be installed just fine, and they're all marked, as appropriate, in either or both the left pane and the right pane.  So, where am I going wrong now?  Thanks!  Allen

Sorry I took your time.  I unzipped them manually, wrote them over the identical-sized files, they popped right up in MO and, as soon as I check it, they also popped right up in the right pane, and are now checked.  Never mind.

see, this is what I was coming here to look for. Thank you for posting your solution at least, so now i can use it! :)

Be careful with following this advice as looks to be based on an error on the user's part. The page that hosts these STEP downloads contains different files for different purposes but MO pulls the recommended name for the mod from the same page so you may, as @aba42 did, install the STEP Optimized Vanilla Textures and then when you install the STEP Compilation Installer or vice versa, and MO will use the name chosen on the first install.

So perhaps the OP and you are experiencing the same issue where the BSA you are looking for is gone because the containing mod was replaced with the later install? If that was not the issue you were looking to solve just check that everything you expect to see is in fact there.

I was careful, I have two mods for these files, "Step Compilation Patch" and "Step - Skyrim Total Enhancement Project". :)

From the latter I have two .esps marked with brooms, so I *should* be able to make sure the BSAs are being handled by MO, but when I go to the Archives tab, they aren't there.

And this conversation just caused me to open STEP in explorer, I have the ESPs, and a lot of loose files in the textures folder, but no BSAs. So I should be able to go and disable these anyway, the loose files will load properly, correct? And if I was supposed to get BSAs, perhaps I made a different mistake.