Ruins Clutter Improved (by raiserfx)

parasyte79

... in your opinion. :)

I would also not say a lot... just some. I use the vast majority of RCI.

Do you happen to have a screenshot comparison? The SRO clutter textures (urns, pots, etc) looked extremely low res to me, unless those are not the textures that you overwrote from SRO.

Perhaps I did something wrong with my installation. I trust your judgement. It would be cool if you had a screenshot so I could make sure I'm not mistaken.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid I do not. Keeping screens of every texture choice is a sentence I wouldn't impose on Satan himself... lol.

That being said, resolution isn't as important as a few other factors such as does it fit in the scene? is there enough variety in said scene (alternatively, does everything look the same)? How does it react to light? What do you commonly find near said object, etc.

The list goes on for considerations :) As a side note, All of my selections are based upon looking in game, not using texture compare software as well.

I'm afraid I do not. Keeping screens of every texture choice is a sentence I wouldn't impose on Satan himself... lol.

That being said, resolution isn't as important as a few other factors such as does it fit in the scene? is there enough variety in said scene (alternatively, does everything look the same)? How does it react to light? What do you commonly find near said object, etc.

The list goes on for considerations :) As a side note, All of my selections are based upon looking in game, not using texture compare software as well.

I guess I'm a sucker for texture res and detail. I'm definitely going to give your guide a go once I get this whole enb boost thing figured out. 

• 2 weeks later...

An update! Wow!...it's been forever since author updated!

• Added new textures to spider eggs (2048x2048) and ruins linen (1024x1024)
  • Reworked several textures, like the ruins pots, gate lever and puzzle pillar (see new screenshots)
  • Improved UV mapping of the spider eggs and ruinsconce meshes
  • Removed some items from the mod like the ruins chest and cave lamp to restore compatibility with SMIM
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Based on the shots above, this mod is still so-so for me. I adamantly dislike the retexed egg sacks. Higher res, but the open one looks like a computer graphic ... way too clean and angular. The pot on botom left of third graphic looks like it was colored with a marker. The vanilla original is much better, IMO.

The rest of the RCI compares look better (but what about the stuff not shown here?).

I just linked to the new images the author uploaded on Nexus for the new release. Since this is high up in the Conflicting Graphics section, a good portion of this mod is overwritten (64 files and mainly by SRO) and since it's not a Core mod it's not that big a deal. Eggs sacks will be overwritten by ISW in Extended. I did notice that 4 meshes from USKP are being overwritten so helpfully those changes are as good as the USKP's.

I was looking at this as well because of the update... I was looking in MO at what it overwrites and saw it overwrites HD Linens (in my particular setup). As I compared the two I wondered what actual old linen might look like. Google Image away, and I found something amusing, figured I'd share:

HD Linens

Posted Image

RCI

Posted Image

Wikipedia entry on Linen

Posted Image

I was looking at this as well because of the update... I was looking in MO at what it overwrites and saw it overwrites HD Linens (in my particular setup). As I compared the two I wondered what actual old linen might look like. Google Image away, and I found something amusing, figured I'd share:

HD Linens

Posted Image

RCI

Posted Image

Wikipedia entry on Linen

Posted Image

HD Linens looks a bit better. If you follow the STEP Order, HD Linens should be installed in the section after Ruins Clutter Improved so it should overwrite it. Not the other way around. 

HD Linens

Posted Image

RCI

Posted Image

Wikipedia entry on Linen

Posted Image

:lol: Nice find (I prefer the wiki version ;) )

• 2 weeks later...

I go for Ruin Clutter Improvement concerning ruin linens as I have always found that HD-Linen textures break the old feeling of such items.

Also there is "Langleys Wood Metal and Stone Textures Workshop" (mentioned in Texture Pack Combiner page) which have his own replacement of HD-Linens and Whiterun Trellis Redesigned. Don't know if anyone has tested this.

• 2 months later...

I'm really surprised this isn't core, it looks to me like the author went to a great deal of trouble to stay true to the vanilla look. And how can anyone prefer the default spider egg look, which just looks like a total mess of low resolution blockiness?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have version 2.6 somewhere? I found some claims there is a missing texture in the last two versions that was present in v2.6.

I don't have an older version of this mod but I found the missing ruinslargedoor files. The are included in Gamwich's Rustic Word Walls.

edit: now that I think about it, Gamwich probably made those by himself lol. But it's still an improvement over vanilla imo

Edited by TirigonX