Installing Skyrim on new drive

Suncho

Question

Hello, 

Recently i got my first SSD, so i reinstalled windows on it. With that I wanted to install Skyrim to it as well, so it can load faster.

So I installed it there, did the fist couple of steps and then copied over a backed up version of my mod organizer.

But now i have a problem, a big one. When i launch SKSE it loads, flashes black screen and then "crashes" - just nothing happens, return to windows (btw, this is probably the time to say i now use win 10, while previously i used win7... although i don't see why this could be a problem), and Mod Organizer "unlocks".

So how do i fix this? is there something i can do to fix it or i should start from scratch?

it's quite a lot of work to install all the mods from STEP.

If you need more information to help me i could give it to you. 

P.S. Sorry if this was asked before (how to back up your STEP for new installs) or if i have written this post in the wrong place. if so, please point me to the place

Edited by Suncho

5 answers to this question

hmmm... ok, i tried several times before writing this, with no success, so i posted the topic.

but then tried more, and it launched... very strange.

whatever. still the topic stands, what is the easiest way to install Skyrim with STEP after you have done reinstall of the windows?

well i have done that. i made the first couple of steps when i was doing the setup, so i started the launcher, it detected my settings, then i dropped the AA setting down and so on, then installed loot, WB, FNIS, SKSE (not necessary in that order, but as they were in the guide)

i think it fixed itself when i launched SKSE outside from MO. when it launched once without the MO, then i was able to launch it with MO as well. not sure if that fixed it, but something did.

but is this the easiest way to "store" the STEP setup for future fresh installs?

Should i do the LOOT/TES5Edit things again? or they are fine since i copied the MO directory over?

Those should be fine. When I move to a new computer, I install Steam and Skyrim, run the launcher, and copy everything (Mod Organizer, LOOT, Wrye Bash, TES5Edit, etc.) over using the same drive letter and folder structure so I don't have to tweak the executable configurations in Mod Organizer. All of the tools are portable applications, so you can just copy them pretty much anywhere you want (provided they are not stored in a protected folder like Program Files). The only catch is that you may need to go into executable configurations and change the paths to these tools if you move them to another drive or folder structure.