Merge? When?

Aster92

Question

I have just a little question, and with that i'll probably be able to understand why I CTD at launch lol

I have to merge only when Step say so?

In other case i shouldn't? Even if MO ask me?

(And, this stupid merging of mine, could be the reason i CTD when i see Skyrim Menu logo?)

Sorry for poor grammar, i'm italian >.<

2 answers to this question

No, that is incorrect. STEP mentions merging for some specific mods, but not others. I think it's mostly just to give you an idea of when merging is appropriate.

Basically, if it is a hotfix or an addon, (this includes most optional files) it should be merged.

If it is another full release of a mod (if it includes all the files from the old version), then you should replace.

If it is a totally different mod on the same Nexus page, for example the STEP Compilation vs. STEP Optimized Vanilla Textures, then rename it to make a brand new mod listing in MO.

Regarding your crashing...have you tried Memory Blocks Log to see if your SKSE is set up correctly? That would be my first step if I were you. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50471/?

Edit: Well, that was a lie. Not my first step. First step is to check if there are any flags listed for the plug-ins in the right pane. Pay particular attention to any with a yield sign. That means the mod is missing a "master" it is dependant on.

Mmh...

I was already aware of those "rules", but i thought i should have been a little more precise in following the STEP guide. Merging only when told and whatnot.

Thank you nonetheless ::D:

Regard your REAL first step, i have no missing master. Already been really thorough with checking.

in regard to SKSE, i installed it following the rule on this link  --> https://wiki.step-project.com/Skyrim_Script_Extender#Recommendations

(i hadn't ever installed it like this, always used to just paste everything in skse.7z in skyrim folder)

---------------------------------------------------------------

i have just used Memory Blocks Log, and all block say 85. no more, no less.

a whole lot under the 256 basic heapspace.

I think i'll reinstall skyrim because Wrye Bash says that there is a missing string localization line from Update.esm

The localization line is 'Update_ITALIAN.DLSTRINGS' .

Probably a leftover error from first download (was in italian). When i noticed it, i changed language on Steam settings.

Thank you for helping me.

I'm gonna delete all mods and STEP customization, delete skyrim, reinstall it directly in English, and restart the STEP.

EDIT: And then, probably, i'll return here with many new problems ahah

Edited by Aster92