Crash at start-up

Yggdrasilion

Question

I have absolutely no idea what I did wrong.

It worked yesterday evening, but now when i start SKSE, skyrim immediately crashes to the desktop. That happened about 6 weeks ago when 2.2 first came out and I was so frustrated I stopped playing altogether.

I'm very close to crying out of frustration.

5 answers to this question

Did you remove any mod since you last played?

Check your Windows sound settings. Change it to 24-bit, 48000Hz or 96000Hz but not higher.

Windows 7 instructions:

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > (right-click on sound output device (e.g. speakers), Properties > Advanced

No need to cry o.0

A crash at startup usually means there's an ESP conflict somewhere. I'd suggest you go through and uncheck a few at a time until it works and boil down the problem child from there. As rpsgc suggested, start with any mods you may have added or updated first; these things don't (often) happen for no reason.

I am currently having the same problem. I have narrowed it down to being a problem with enb.

With all mods completely removed, and only having enb, this happens.

Remove enb and no problems.

Install all mods again and still no problems as long as I don't put the d3d9.dll back in the skyrim directory.

I have found that if i have the mod that removes fog from the main menu, it will launch the game. However, when I try loading or creating a new game it is an instant crash after the loading screen. Then same as before, if I remove the enb .dll it loads fine.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the enb files multiple times to no avail. I even tried going back and forth between .119 and .122, but nothing works.

I want enb to work, but no idea what to try next.

do you use msi afterburner or a similar utility together with skyrim? If so, you have to exit those applications and try again. To be sure: Kill all the background programs which are not windows tasks or required to run skyrim (steam). then launch skyrim. Should the problem persist, try to read up on the ENB documentation, find out what the incompatibilities are and eliminate them.

That was it, Torminater, thanks.

I had MSI afterburner. I thought just disabling the overlay for it would be good enough, but apparently I had to have the entire program closed.

My only problem now is everything is teal and glitchy. I already have an idea that it is due to my video driver from doing research on the above issue. If I roll it back I have a feeling it will fix it.