When to uncheck/turn off mods in Wrye Flash?

Snarkyfork

Question

I am using Wrye Flash for the first time and got this message below:

The following mods are tagged 'Deactivate'. These should be deactivated before building the patch, and then imported into the patch during build.
*Project Beauty- Broken Steel.esp
* Project Beauty- Point Lookout.esp

The following mods are mergeable. While it is not important to Wrye Flash functionality or the end contents of the bashed patch, it is suggest that they be deactivated and merged into the patch; this (helps) avoid the  Fallout maximum esp/m limit.
*Ez0n3_Fallout3_MyMansion_SkipAcquireQuest.esp
* FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Point Lookout.esp
* FO3 Wanderers Edition - Optional Restore Tracers (automatics only).esp
* Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Point Lookout.esp
* Mart's Mutant Mod - Master Menu Module.esp
* Mart's Mutant Mod - DC Interiors.esp
* pip60.esp

The following mods are tagged 'NoMerge'. These should be deactivated before building the patch and imported according to tag(s), and preferences.
*Project Beauty- Broken Steel.esp
* Project Beauty- Point Lookout.esp
* Merged Patch.esp

Automatically deactivate those mods now?

Should I deactivate my Merged Patch? What does this message mean?

Edit: When I click "yes" and deactivate the mods suggested, several mods seem to be broken when in game, such as the MMM menu not showing up in the pipboy menu.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I asked around in the Nexus forums and was reading this guide here: https://oblivionworks.sourceforge.net/readme/Wrye%20Bash%20General%20Readme.html#patch but despite it being fairly thorough... it doesn't answer any of my questions.

Also, the only box that is checked in the "build patch" menu on the left panel is the top box that reads "alias mod names". Do I suppose to know which boxes to check or uncheck? In oblivion Wrye Bash basically builds the patch itself.

Edited by Snarkyfork

4 answers to this question

FNV is usually my cup of tea, but I'll see if I can shed some light on this.

NoMerge mods should be deactivated, imported according to the proper bashed tags and then reactivated after having made the bashed patch. I can only assume the same applies for those tagged deactivate, though I've never encountered that tag myself, in any case as long as you don't go over the .esp limit reactivating them shouldn't present a problem that keeping them unticked would have avoided. Mergeable mods should be deactivated and imported just like WB suggests, and left unticked afterwards.

Kelmych's guide recommends you check all boxes except:

• Alias Mod Names
  • Replace Form IDs
  • Import Actors: Animations
  • Import Script Contents
  • Globals
  • Tweak Assorted
  • Tweak Names
For the right pane options I quote:

Now go through all the sections that are checked and make sure to tick every check box in the right pane that you see except for:

For Import Names leave Fallout3.esm unticked.

Hope this made some things clearer.

~Mono

Edited by MonoAccipiter
  • +1 1

Mods listed by Wrye Bash/Flash as mergeable are automatically handled by the bashed patch process. The records are merged into the bashed patch and the mods are deactivated. There will be a plus sign instead of a check for these mods to indicate they have been merged into the bashed patch. This is the desired behavior. Don't change the plus sign by manually deactivating the plugins; let WB handle them.

The previous post describes what to do with NoMerge plugins

The boxes that are unchecked in the bashed patch selection are generally ones with no content (e.g., alias mod names), that don't actually work in WB (e.g., script contents), or that are not usually used (e.g. tweak names). Of course, f you like the WB approach to item sorting you can certainly check the Tweak Names box.

Since you are using FO3 you might find the material in the Clear and Present Danger guide here on the STEP site useful (see my signature for a pointer).

Yeah, I have been following the guide you mention or referencing it regularly. With Oblivion and Skyrim a bashed patch was fairly simple and Wrye Bash handled it well with little extra effort on the modders part. When I see 14 pages of instructions for any application I have to ask myself if I really want to use this application. I am sure all of the information for making a bashed patch is in the wrye flash guide but sometimes technical guides are not so user friendly or they don't put the information into a tangible/digestible format. I think with just the information I received above I have it working properly now, and I am very appreciative.

• +1 1