HQ Quality option/ Mod installation

MetalVez

Question

Hello,

I'm nearly done with the installation of Step Core and was wondering if it's possible to remplace some mods that have baseline quality with HQ quality. For exemple, I have installed AMidianborn Farmhouse 1k, I download the 2k version and replace it in my modlist? Do I have to uninstall all the previous mods?

Some mods, like Dawnguard Crossbow Bolt Visualized have two files to install (the main file and the optional Explosive bolts Visualized HD Textures) when I add the second file, what should I do? Replace the first one? Merge them? Install both files with a different name?

Other quick questions for adding the following mods to the list, after completing the STEP Core guide :

- Versant: A Skyrim grass plugin

- Natural Grass texture floor

- A matter if time

Is there any issues regarding these? Compatibility troubles?

Thank for your help!!

9 answers to this question

The beauty of Mod Organizer is that it keeps each installed mod separate in its own folder. Just download the 2k version, install it, and when it recognizes the same filename, choose "replace".

When STEP asks you to install the main file and an optional file for the same mod, install the main file first, then the optional file, and choose merge.

The only exception would be if there are two totally separate mods on the same Nexus page, for example the STEP Optimized Vanilla Textures and the STEP Compilation. Then you would install the two mods separately, and re-name.

See this: https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer#Installing

Besides reading the linked to section in the MO guide, it may be worth your time to browse the whole MO guide. A lot of useful info in there.

Regarding the particular mods you mention...I haven't used them, so I cannot say. However, if you download and install them, see if MO says whether they conflict with any other mods. If not, it's likely that they will be fine.

Just make sure you install any extra mods before you do the Patches section, or re-do the patches section afterword.

Hi there!

Nice to know that I don't have to reinstall ALL the mods to modify the quality of the mods. I'll fix this later tonight!

Is there any instructions somewhere in the STEP Core guide that said that the optional mods should be merged with the main file? Maybe it's just me :)

After the STEP Core guide, my intension was to add one or two packs listed in the forum. One of them is the Skyrim Rejuvenated (mostly made of textures mods). Should I install the mods listed in this pack before the patches (section 2.N)? It said that many mods needs to be rewritten...what should I do now?

Thank  [again] :)

For adding any packs: Just re-do the patches section afterward, Bashed Patch through DynDOLOD. Not all of the patches need to be re-done depending on what mods you installed, but if you don't know, better safe than sorry.

And yeah, the instruction is there, you must have just missed it. Easy to do with such a verbose guide, for sure. :-)

See the fourth bullet point here: https://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.2.9.2#STEP_2

I'll finish the Core guide first and then install the other mods from Skyrim Rejuvenated. As long as re-doing the patch does not take me three hours :-)

Another newbie question, I saw that the three extenders (section 2.c) were placed after Dawnguard, Hearthfires and Dragonborn in my order. If I drag them before the expansions (where they are supposed to be) is it still gonna be fine?

I have not started a new game yet, just hope everything will work. (High expectations here!)

Edited by MetalheadVez

Yeah, it just depends if you want to test Core first, or only play at the end of adding all your mods. The rule I use is if I add a mod or change things in any way in my MO profile, I make sure I run all patchers before I play.

If you're not going to play the game at all before adding your other mods, no sense doing it twice. DynDOLOD will probably take you 1-1.5 hours. The others are just minutes, though.

Regarding the three extenders...ENBoost is not installed via MO, so it is irrelevant. The part of SKSE installed via MO can go after the base game and DLCs or before, it doesn't matter. Same with PapyrusUtil, as long as it is after SKSE.

Personally, mine is placed after. I have 0-6 being the Cleaned ESMs, the base game and DLCs (interleaved), 7 is USLEEP, 8-11 is the High Resolution Texture packs and the Unofficial Patch for them, 12 is the STEP Optimized Vanilla Textures, and 13-14 is SKSE and PapyrusUtil.

But like I said, it really doesn't matter for the placement of those two. Just make sure they come before other mods that use SKSE.

Hello!

EDIT: You were right, ENB was not installed with MO, so my point was obsolete, sorry. Papyrus was my only concern at that time.

1- I've double-checked everything and I found that the STEP Compilation is not giving me any options when I'm at the "Step core Patch eligibility". Both choices; Step Core eligiblity and Extended patch elibility are blank.

Usually, should I can choose between one of them?

I have more mods installed than the Core version, only missing a few to be the "extended" version. I should be able to choose the first one... :S

2- Is it possible to install Falskaar and Wyrmstooth before the patch (or section 2.N) ?

3- Should I tick the Step combined plugins for Hearthfire or not? I have installed the mod "Hearthfire extended".

4- For the Ruffled feather mod, there's an optionnal file to install "Ruffled Feather - Enhanced terrain", do I merge both files together or leave them as two seperate mods?

Edited by MetalheadVez

1. Check the OP of the STEP Compilation thread, as the instructions state. You are missing a mod.

2. No idea, I don't use them. I think I confused you more than anything, and I was just trying to help. :-( Basically I was trying to say that anything that runs a patcher should be done last. I don't mean "patches" I mean "patchers". Mods that do more than sit in your load order, they run a program based on your other mods to create a patch. Because this process is based on your other mods, the output will obviously change when you change your mods. Bashed patch, DSR, FNIS, DynDOLOD, ASIS, etc., etc.

Where you put your extra mods depends on what you want overwriting other things. Learning the basics of xEdit helps enormously. Google FNVEdit Training Manual, look at the conflict resolution section.

3. See #1. You want the Core patch if you are running Core, Extended Patch if you run Extended. That option is a last resort.

4. See this part of the MO Guide. Try browsing through the guide, and playing around with MO a bit. It definitely helps to know the basics of MO. Not as tough as people make it out to be if you put 30-60 minutes into playing around and learning the various features. For your example, merge would be fine, as would re-name.

Hi there,

Sorry for the short period of time before answering you back, a lot of work this week and I didn't have the time to play around with Mod manager.

It is now really easier to understand the mods and the patcher synergy. I'll re-run the last section of the STEP Core guide in the near-future when I install a new mod in my list.

I'm looking forward to install two new packs listed in the forums; Skyrim Rejuvenated and Skyrim Gameplay Rebalance. Do I have to do something in particular for that?

Do I simply add the new mods after the last one from the Step Core guide (the Section 2.M Gameplay)? Or do I create a new profile?

I also experienced some small installation problems, with:

- ELE Lite: It seems there's a new version of the file...Is the file for the STEP Guide is still the one I should use?

- Realistic Baskets HD: The is an update to do, which can be found in the optional files section, but MO does not seems to change the version after installing it.

- Come together N out of the Way: same thing as above...

Perhaps these three updates could be added in the installation guide of STEP Core, but I do not know if this is relevant ... You decide :)

Edited by MetalheadVez

ELE - I'm not sure what you mean about an update. STEP and the ELE Lite Nexus description page mention only installing the v0_95c file. You shouldn't install anything else from that page.

Realistic HD Baskets - The main files are version 1.1. STEP recommends you install the Quality file. In the Old files section, v1.0 of the files is available, along with the update to v1.1. You should only download the one main file STEP recommends.

Come Together - the v1.2a update is recommended by the mod author only to be installed if the follower or NPC list lock up. It will disable the sorting feature.

Edit: Regarding the packs...I'm not sure, as I don't use either one. Read the packs carefully, as they may say right in them. Otherwise, feel free to post questions in the appropriate threads on the Packs section of the forum. You might get more response from people who actually use the packs (or the authors themselves) over there, as many people don't tend to read this section of the forum. There are threads for both of those packs on the first page.