Crash at Start-up

FightCat

Question

It took me 4 days completing all this STEP stuff. I followed the instructions sentence by sentence.

Unless the mod was highlighted other than blue, I did not use it however I downloaded and activated them all (in particular order) via NMM.

With Project ENB and d39d_smaa.dll (I could grab this from https://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html as the one indicated in the guide is non-existent) installed, I run the game to see the infamous STEP's results...yet to no avail.

As soon as I see the Skyrim Dragon, it crashes. The "crash at startup" recommendations in the guide yielded no results. I don't have Afterburner, GPU-Z, FRAPS running. I have DX updated and the TESV.exe to run in admin mode.

Any suggestions please after all this hard work ?

15 answers to this question

It is probably to do with your load order and the way you installed your mods. It looks as though you installed everything through NMM (could be wrong). NMM does make for messy plugin lists and data folders. It's best to install section A and B manually at least that way you have exactly what you need in the data folder. That said load order is best resolved by BOSS. If you download install and then run BOSS it will tell you the order for your plugins - if you then open NMM, your mods will be placed in that order. You will also get info about your mods e.g. using TES5 Edit to clean your main ESM files.

Lots to do... I have been there so many times. If you only have STEP installed it definitely works very well and the subsequent education in mod use is very useful - but for each machine and preference there will be variations. Load order though and or conflicting files are the usual culprits.

Hope this helps.

:D

The other problem could be ENB. Endlessly troublesome - though they can be worth it. You would be better off using RCRN 3.6 along side The Complier's RCReN with ENB - this looks great and works a treat with no noticeable FPS loss. You would need to remove CoT though.

Having started to check the mods recommended one by one in STEP's particular order, the culprit is spotted:

Trainer Gold Fix is disabled and I'm in. Weird.

Edit: Deactivated TGF. Re-downloaded via NMM, overwrote it, re-activated TGF. I'm able to run it again.

That's weird, Does TGF have any files besides the ESP?  If so, you might have overwritten those files with another mod thus breaking TGF.

Not sure if you want to go through the installation again, but I can't recommend not using NMM enough.  Using MO can take a bit of effort to get used to, but it's much more powerful and keeps your mods separate and organized so you'll never have to worry about overwrites or updating a mod and breaking something else.  

I was able to load a previous save that was at the beginning of a cave which is definitely not far from my end point. So no worries there.

Now I'm supposed to get in interiors (e.g. Breezehome) and rest for a total of 31 days before saving for one last time to ensure that our STEP installation has been completed succesfully, right ?

I was able to load a previous save that was at the beginning of a cave which is definitely not far from my end point. So no worries there.

Now I'm supposed to get in interiors (e.g. Breezehome) and rest for a total of 31 days before saving for one last time to ensure that our STEP installation has been completed succesfully, right ?

Yeah, pretty much.  That ensures everything respawns properly and all the cells are repopulated.  I'd suggest using this mod so you can rest more than a day at a time.