Shadows and Texture Lines - How to resolve?

TechAngel85

Question

Okay, I installed STEP 100% and discovered there was lines EVERYWHERE! I was very disappointed because I had spent a day and a half setting this up. Wanting to track down the issue I uninstalled everything and started with a fresh installation of Skyrim. I continued to follow STEP and checked every install one-by-one until I found the what caused the issue. Turns out...it was my ENB. I am using the first choice on the STEP, Project ENB. After I installed and started my saves this is what I see:

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see, this lines are any where the shadows are and on the wood textures. What is this? Striping? Because I haven't seen any images of striping that look like this. Also, any suggests on fixing it? Prior to Project ENB I was using RCRN without issue until I found out STEP doesn't support it when I decided to use STEP.

BTW: I'm using ENBseries 0.113 with Project ENB 1.1 because STEP doesn't recommend ENBseries 0.119 yet.

10 answers to this question

I got the issue fixed from the Nexxus site.

@ TechAngel85Simple, go into your SkyrimPrefs.ini located in your Documents folder, and set iBlurDeferredShadowMask=5, and save. Enjoy.

And don't entirely trust STEP when it comes to ENBs, the technical information isn't sound (a lot of details are outdated at this point). If an ENB is slated to be designed with a certain dll build (Project ENB is designed now with 0.119 build), then use that. Read the front page of the ENB of your choice and see what build is required for that particular ENB.

I also tested this theory of v0.119 not being optimized:

So far there's not an issue with the older builds. I just tested and there is an average 7 FPS drop using ENBseries v0.119 and Project ENB 1.4 over the older v0.113 and v1.1, respectively. These are with the STEP INI tweaks, a few custom INI tweaks to up FPS, custom launcher graphic settings and custom nVidia settings.

My (mobile) Rig:

ASUS G7

Intel i7 @ 2GHz

GeForce GTX 460M, 1GB vram

8 GB RAM

Right now my FPS is averaging 27-32. This is before the texture overhaul in STEP.

Thanks, ZeroKing for your help!

Thanks for sharing your fix. Perhaps the section on ENB needs an update.

I would suggest a good run through of STEP. There were a few places that I see that could use an update. For example, after my first install I discovered in my BOSS log a few things that needed correcting. One was a different version of a mod and the other was a mod conflict; however, thinking back that was a mod outside of STEP that I added. The instructions could use updating and more detail in some areas and with what do to with some mods too. I found myself confused at several different points and had to go in to do some research on proper install and which options to install as well.

I'm using STEP and just not installing any mods that are incompatible with RCRN, and using RCRN 3.6 with TheCompiler's RCReN. RCReN is TheCompiler's custom ENB for RCRN and works really well. Just remember that STEP is more a starting guide than a YOU MUST HAVE THIS kinda set. Plus after like 3 months, with all the updates from Bethesda and mod creators, STEP kinda becomes obsolete and needs to be updated relatively fast. Just kinda gotta adapt, lol. Just remember to read some of the changes in the OP post of this thread https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=1134, as it is being updated as a preview for some of the changes for the next version.

The current STEP is out-of-date because it was made with the previous Skyrim version as well as a lot of mods have been updated and so on and so forth. While you wouldn't run into too many problems going through STEP and installing latest versions, a few are bound to pop up. They're currently working on a 2.2.0b and 2.3.

Thanks for sharing your fix. Perhaps the section on ENB needs an update.

I would suggest a good run through of STEP. There were a few places that I see that could use an update. For example, after my first install I discovered in my BOSS log a few things that needed correcting. One was a different version of a mod and the other was a mod conflict; however, thinking back that was a mod outside of STEP that I added. The instructions could use updating and more detail in some areas and with what do to with some mods too. I found myself confused at several different points and had to go in to do some research on proper install and which options to install as well.
Yeah, the ENB guide was rather hastily put together as a quick fix.  If anyone's knowledgable on the subject go ahead and toss me a PM with your corrections or whatever and I'll see about changing the Wiki.  If the instructions aren't clear somewhere please explain, we're always looking to make this already bothersome process as easy as it can be.  Point us to any place(s) you were confused and we'll try to fix it in v2.2.0b.  As Pioneer and thalastwon said, there are a couple hiccups with the current release, although we haven't spotted anything major.  Unless we find more errors I'm tempted to say v2.2.0b will be out within a week, but don't quote me.

I'm using STEP and just not installing any mods that are incompatible with RCRN and using RCRN 3.6 with TheCompiler's RCReN. RCReN is TheCompiler's custom ENB for RCRN and works really well. Just remember that STEP is more a starting guide than a YOU MUST HAVE THIS kinda set. Plus after like 3 months, with all the updates from Bethesda and mod creators, STEP kinda becomes obsolete and needs to be updated relatively fast. Just kinda gotta adapt, lol. Just remember to read some of the changes in the OP post of this thread https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=1134, as it is being updated as a preview for some of the changes for the next version.

I would like to try that to see if I can get better FPS, though I just got this put together and working and I really like CoT.