Ultra settings gpu

eperdos

For a step 2292 extended, what card would run the game at ultra settings constand 60fps or above? My rig:

I5 4690

8gb ram

Gtx560ti 1gbvram - this will be upgraded

So what would be best gpu for this?

Also will a gtx 940m with 4gb will run above setup and at what settings?

A GTX 980 would be more than enough. A GTX 960 probably will be fine, or a R9 380. You can get those on sale for around $160 range. Or you can look at similar cards in the link I posted above.

As for a GTX 940m at 1366x768, Ultra STEP would kill it (source). It'd be playable, I'd reckon, at around Medium. What's the price range you're looking at?

Well, I don`t buy yet. Maybe if I get a super offer for 970 or 980. Maybe fall is the time for upgrade. But I wanted to know what is best card so I am aware what to look in the gpu market. I know new architecture is around the corner, but if I know better hoe present generation handle games, I know better what to understand from new generation...

My father buys me a new laptop and I would like to have skyrim on it and want to install similar step as in pc. Laptop will be around 500$.

Well, I don`t buy yet. Maybe if I get a super offer for 970 or 980. Maybe fall is the time for upgrade. But I wanted to know what is best card so I am aware what to look in the gpu market. I know new architecture is around the corner, but if I know better hoe present generation handle games, I know better what to understand from new generation...

My father buys me a new laptop and I would like to have skyrim on it and want to install similar step as in pc. Laptop will be around 500$.

Unfortunately, for a $500 laptop, it will be near impossible to get the performance you're looking for.

I have a near $1500 laptop (see specs in signature) that I run STEP on, and the performance is not spectacular. I have a 970M, which is approximately equivalent to a GTX 770. Laptops and gaming are not the best combo.

But I wanted to know what is best card so I am aware what to look in the gpu market.

That is quite the complex question. I would say buy the cheapest card that does fp16 double performance and has the best shader architecture.

My 2 cents on the GPU teams:

NVidia:

+ power efficiency (Gaming only!)

+ fast rasterizing (Gaming only)

+ gameworks/hairworks if you play games that use it

+/- drivers are highly optimized for many games, this is good now but your card will fall off once the generation rotates out and doesn't get new updates

- more $ for performance

- some openCL compute shader features are crippled

- async compute may be broken on hardware level (afaik only fixed on case by case basis), probably bad with DX12/Vulcan games that really use multi threading (not future proof)

AMD:

+ faster shaders

+ very nice openCL compute shader features

+ better performance per dollar

- needs more power to run games

- some chips get really hot because they are smaller, you need to choose the right cooler

- higher failure rate (currently, changes every generation!)

As a rule of thumb over the past 10 years of game development: The newer the game, the more important are pixel shader features and the less important is polygon throughput and texture fill. So AMDs architecture is currently more 'future proof'. Two years ago, when the 290 got on the marked it was compared to a 770 in benchmarks. Today it is compared with a 970/780ti.

NVidia makes more sense if you really want the card for gaming only and are willing to buy new cards regularly, or if you are willing to pay a lot of money and want the uber expensive uber card.

The next generation is going to be very interesting as NVidia is heading in the right direction in architecture and is closing on AMD (who are actually ahead in architecture features atm). A very important feature in new videocards is fp16 double performance. It is coming with Pascal (NVidia). AMD already has fp16 power saving features, the question is whether they will have fp16 double performance. If they do, AMD will be very attractive because their shader performance on the new process will probably allow for real time path tracing. If they don't NVidia will be ahead.

Fp 16 double performance means you get double performance with 16 bit (half precision) float point numbers. For many use cases you do not need single precision. This is on top of the usual performance increases of new architectures and smaller processes (so more transistors will fit on the die).

Depending on how well the implementation is, and how big the new high-end chips are, we could be looking at half a magnitude in performance gain for certain tasks. That is just huge.

Edited by Spock

Not really. But out of experience, pricing is not radically different over the generations. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a high end option with the new architecture but not the best/full chips in the 980 price range. There usually is a highest end (fury x/980 ti) and a high end (fury/980) option. Those usually have the new architecture. Whether there will be a new higher midrange card (970/390 segment) has to be determined. For news on GPUs I'd advise to read Videocardz.com.

Ok. I got it. I knew some about this. Just i haven t remembered the tech jargon. Definetly i will wait. Usually i buy gpu 6 month after release. This time will be different. If released around march i will buy july august. If released fall i will buy fall after i see how prices behave

Edited by eperdos