MO does not hook the CS Extender properly

Melamkish

Question

I am trying to determine whether this is a system issue, a conflict between the two, or, a bug that should be reported.

Trying to get CSExtender v6.2 to work with MO. Using MO version 1.2.14 with Windows 7 x64.

I have done several tests of launching the CSE through MO, both with and without setting "Run as admin" on the two recommended files in the CSE documentation. The docs require the obse loader executable as well as the CS editor to be "Run as admin". When I set the compatibility to do so, and launch the CS Extender thru MO this is what happens:

The CS opens, with all the Extended features, however, MO fails to hook the CSE with the MO virtual mod directory. In other words, all I can see is the default game directory. This happens on a different machine, as well.

Besides this issue, MO is performing very well. Reviewing the MO log reveals that everything above the following entries are loading properly. Same error each time. At the end of the logs is this error:

DEBUG (18:44:34.0506): findfirstfileex C:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\*.*: . (10)
DEBUG (18:44:34.0569): process failed to start (740)
INFO (18:44:34.0569): Windows Exception (c00000fd). Origin: "C:\Windows\syswow64\ole32.dll" (7573a1f0). Last hooked call: struct HINSTANCE__ *__stdcall LoadLibraryExW_rep(const unsigned short *,void *,unsigned long)

I have been using MO since before version 1 with Skyrim, so fairly familiar with it. All other tools launch properly.

Thanks for any insight into this.

7 answers to this question

Credit for the answer goes to both hishutup and GrantSP :cool:

Summary to clarify the actual fix:

From GrantSp:

1. Ensure OBSE is installed (obviously)
  2. Manually install the CSE by copying all the files inside the archive to the Oblivion directory
  3. Open the 'Launch CSE.bat' and copy the arguments:
  4. -editor -notimeout
  5. In MO create a new, or modify the existing Construction Kit exe link, and in the 'Binary' field point it to your 'obse_loader.exe'
  6. In the 'Arguments' field, paste the arguments you previously copied
  7. Ensure the exe link is either modified or created anew and close the 'Modify executables' dialog

From hishutup:

Open the Configuration and settings window using the tool icon

Select the Workaround tab.

Click on the load mechanism bar and select Script Extender

Close the Configuration and settings window

My suggestion:

After running the CSE through MO in the above manor, don't forget to remove administrative rights on the obse loader executable or you will get UAC warnings about elevated privledges. (a minor issue to change permissions back and forth). If the game doesn't launch you may need to change the load mechanism back to Mod Organizer (I am using the non-Steam, retail version of the game).

Well, since I have noticed in various forums that more people are using MO with Oblivion, hoped someone may have gotten the latest CSE and MO working together, or at least had some insight into this problem .

After researching the exception code, Stack Heap Error/Overflow, on the MSDN, and going thru every single log in the Administrative Tools Event Viewer, I can't find anything that seems to indicate a system setting problem, so after I check a few more things, I will head over and post a bug report.

Edited by Melamkish

I couldn't respond because Im holding a grudge with MO and Oblivion specifically.

Apparently, the issues with MO/Oblivion/OBSE have a work around

I doubt it would work with the CS.

If you are going to be creating stuff then it may be best to do it the normal way.

So far, MO/Oblivion/OBSE seem to be working for me. It is only the current CSE I'm having issues with. If there is some sort of potential fix or work around, I'm willing to give it a try. I would prefer NOT to go back to a different way of managing mods, as I like the philosophy of the way MO works. I may try to run the older CSE 5.1 on the other platform and see what happens. The CSE log is not as fullly detailed but does do some of it's own hooks. Didn't look real close last night.

I did move all of the plugins out of the OBSE plugin folder except, OBSE and the CSE, still no luck.

I was intrigued by this thread and although I no longer mod Oblivion I thought I would investigate.

I have CSE working perfectly inside MO using this method.

1. Ensure OBSE is installed (obviously)
  2. Manually install the CSE by copying all the files inside the archive to the Oblivion directory
  3. Open the 'Launch CSE.bat' and copy the arguments:
  4. -editor -notimeout
  5. In MO create a new, or modify the existing Construction Kit exe link, and in the 'Binary' field point it to your 'obse_loader.exe'
  6. In the 'Arguments' field, paste the arguments you previously copied
  7. Ensure the exe link is either modified or created anew and close the 'Modify executables' dialog
  8. From the drop-down run box choose the new tool and hit 'Run'

The modified Construction Kit should run with a dialog to say it was provide by the 'Wise one' (Fry from Futurama) or it may just go straight to the editor. Checking the 'About' dialog will show it is running as that has been modified.

From what I can see the CSE functions perfectly and there are no issues.

As an aside to this. If you have an ENB installed it is impossible to run the CK, either vanilla or CSE. The 'd3d9.dll' from the ENB throws a curveball at the editor and it refuses to display correctly.

• +1 1

Now it works!! ::D:

Big thanks to both of you.

Hishutpu, at first I was't sure what you meant by obse workaround, until I was trying out GrantSP's suggestion.

Then it suddenly dawned on me. Earlier, someone on another forum was trying to get Oblivion/Steam to launch from MO and mentioned he had tried with the script extender workaround. When I just looked at that tab, I didn't see one. But, I remember that with Skyrim, the load mechanism bar said "Steam", and with Oblivion it said "Mod Organizer".  Clicked on the load mechanism bar and then saw the "Script Extender". Selected that, added GrantSP's suggestion to the argument section of the tool and

Just goes to show that even after using something for so long, one can overlook the simplest things :teehee:

Edited by Melamkish