ENBoost crash on startup

thisisbleep

Question

I have followed the ENBoost guide, but the "Wrapper" version crashes on startup and the "Injector" does not appear to work. I can run the game with the "Injector" version but there is no ENB message in the top left corner and when I enabled the windowed setting, to see if that would change it, nothing happened. I assume that there is a process blocking it from running correctly, but I have no clue what it is. I searched the forum and this came up, but I do not have any monitoring processes running (to my knowledge).

I was active here before, but recently got a new PC which is more powerful and can handle the modding, so I intend to install the STEP Extended.

PC specs

CPU: Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5GHz
GPU: Nvidia Gigabyte GTX 970 G1, 4GB
MoBo: Gigabyte G1 Sniper H6
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3
PSU: Corsair CS750M
HDD: Plextor 256GB SSD & Seagate 2TB HDD
Display: LG 42" TV
Audio: Logitech Z906

GPU Driver: 347.09

Processes running on the PC
See attached.

EDIT: I just saw that there is an ENB specific sub-forum, could a mod move my post to there? I was not able to find any solutions there though. :(

tasklist.xlsx

Edited by thisisbleep

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The enblocal.ini looks fine to me, and although reducing VideoMemorySizeMb would be a good idea, that value of 18432 won't cause Skyrim to crash.

If running through the vanilla Skyrim launcher, without SKSE, then that rules out any influence of the Sheson Memory patch fix (because it's provided as part of SKSE if using the skse.ini settings), and you don't need Memory Blocks Log because it's only necessary to check on how the memory patch is working out in game.

Just to double-check though - are you using SSME (the other implementation of the Sheson Memory patch fix) by chance?

If not, then I only have one other suggestion at the moment -

I do remember reading on the ENB forums an issue for one user with Skyrim crashing at startup and they resolved it by re-installing DirectX 9.

ENB does hook into DX9, even if only using ENBoost, so that's something to try.

There have been many ENB issues crop up lately and many are using GTX 9xx cards. Noticed a few over on ENB Dev forums too. I'm just curious if it's the latest ENBSeries release that is causing the issues. If v0.262 runs okay with v0.265 doesn't, then I'll hit up Boris. But it needs to be tested.

Same issue with v0.262. If I run the default Skyrim .exe with the wrapper version it has the ENB information in the top left corner during the Bethesda splash screen animation, but as soon as that ends it crashes. Running the game through MO also has the same issue, but it crashes instantly, because I have disabled the Bethesda splash screen animation in the INI file. The injector version is the same, nothing happens (no ENB information in the top left and when I set ENB to windowed it does not change the game).

Is there anything in "enbseries.ini" which I should modify? I do not copy it when installing the wrapper version (guide does not ask to add that file during installation), but it gets generated when I run the game.

Edited by thisisbleep

There have been many ENB issues crop up lately and many are using GTX 9xx cards. Noticed a few over on ENB Dev forums too. I'm just curious if it's the latest ENBSeries release that is causing the issues. If v0.262 runs okay with v0.265 doesn't, then I'll hit up Boris. But it needs to be tested.

*scratches head* What about they try rolling back to the nV drivers that worked?

I have only installed the STEP Extended mods and it runs with no issues through the intro scene up until you get off of the cart (I have not started the play though yet). I can provide the MO output later if needed.

When running the vanilla game with ENBoost it crashes in the same way, so it cannot be the installed mods.

Is there a debug or log that is kept to record the crash for ENB? Should I try to use the files from someone else who has confirmed that it is working?

Should I downgrade my GPU drivers? If yes, what version?

Before doing anything drastic, can I suggest sharing the contents of your enblocal.ini file, and also if you're using the SKSE implementation of the Sheson memory patch, what your skse.ini settings are and whether you have confirmed the skse.ini settings are being applied (by either using Sheson's Memory Block Log mod or checking the skse_steam_loader.log file in YOUR_BOOTDRIVE:\Users\**YOUR_USERNAME**\Documents\my games\skyrim\SKSE )

Are you sure it's crashing without the ENBoost files?

The game runs well without it, I could probably play without it to be honest, but that would leave the risk of crashes from maxing out the process memory.

Before doing anything drastic, can I suggest sharing the contents of your enblocal.ini file, and also if you're using the SKSE implementation of the Sheson memory patch, what your skse.ini settings are and whether you have confirmed the skse.ini settings are being applied (by either using Sheson's Memory Block Log mod or checking the skse_steam_loader.log file in YOUR_BOOTDRIVE:\Users\**YOUR_USERNAME**\Documents\my games\skyrim\SKSE )

It still crashes even when I run vanilla Skyrim without the mods and SKSE. I also checked it after installing just SKSE and Stable uGridsToLoad and that is when I found that it would not work on my PC.

I am not using "Memory Blocks Log" currently, do you recommend to use it? It is not in the current STEP guide and it is new to me, it had not been released when I was last modding Skyrim.

----------------

I have attached the MO modlist and enblocal.ini files.

EDIT:

I have just tried running Skyrim with ENBoost after closing all of the non-Windows processes, but it makes no difference, so it cannot be another process which is interfering with it. I am downloading the older GPU drivers and will try them tomorrow, but I do not have much hope.

modlist.txt

enblocal.ini

Edited by thisisbleep