Mod Manager not launching FNV, SCSE, or FNV4GB

ElderDrake

Question

Hi, I am new to the site but not new to modding and have followed followed S.T.E.P. before with Skyrim and Fallout games but I have hit a snag that I hope the community can help me with. I recently decided to dive back into FNV and after some research I found decided that since I had experience with Wyre Flash, LOOT, and other apps I would go from NMM to MO. From a fresh clean install I followed every step of this guide:

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:EssArrBee/FalloutNewVegas

I double checked every link, path, and argument but MO will not launch the FNV executable nor SKSE and FNV4GB (with and without the arguments for the later). I am running windows 8.1 x64 and have not installed a single mod beyond the dlc. I also tried disabling all of the dlc but no joy. I can launch all of the above executables from the directory but I am not able to get MO to launch them. When I attempt to it goes to a black screen then crashes without sight of the game. I should note that LOOT, Wyre Flash, and the other applications launch without a problem from MO but not the main files.

To troubleshoot this issue I have gone over file paths with a fine tooth comb, reinstalled everything twice over, made sure to launch the game first from the launcher to generate the proper files but still no joy. I see a file created named FalloutMO.exe that I am assuming MO uses to launch the game in some fashion and I can't help but think that is the culprit somehow. I have also manually copied .ini files in one fresh install attempt into MO to make sure everything matched from my personal My Documents\My Games\FalloutNV folder but still no luck. Again I can launch the game without MO absolutely fine but despite attempting reinstalls of the game and MO (even different versions on clean installs and reboots) I am running into a brick wall. MO is also installed within it's own folder within FNV's root folder exactly as shown in the installation video and is being ran with administrative rights.

I will attach my last log for perusal and I thank anyone that can shed light on this in advance for their help.

Addendum: Reviewing the file I see a Debug line mentioning RivaTuner Statistics Server but I saw that earlier and disabled that application to try and rule out a conflict.

I am running MO v1.3.8

Edit: If I uncheck the box "Automatic Archive Invalidation" under profile MO launches all the executables listed above, if I check it again it crashes every attempt. Any workarounds for this so I can turn this on?

Edit 2: Now launching the game a 2nd time but ticking that checkbox for "Automatic Archive Invalidation" and it launched. So it appears I had to launch it once initially without it checked, then check it after. Will this impact me as I install mods or cause issues down the road? I see the sticky mentioning moving Archive Invalidation up in the Archives Tab, was this simply the issue here? If so I apologize for missing that posting but I did not realize until late that that checkbox was the culprit.

ModOrganizer_15_07_19_10_21.txt

Edited by ElderDrake

3 answers to this question

Welcome to STEP.

The file FalloutMO.exe is generated by the FNV4GB tool as the 'patched' exe that provides the 4GB functionality, it isn't created by MO.

It would seem you have come across the thread already about the AI problem. There are two things that you will need to check to ensure all the assets are correctly loaded and the game can function

The Fallout - Invalidation.bsa needs to be at the top of the list in the 'Archives' tab AND every other BSA listed needs to have a checkmark next to it. If they are not then those assets are not provided for the game.

Your steps to get the game running aren't generally needed, there is no need to launch it first then exit and enable AI, this is an error in MO and will be rectified in 1.3.9. As for any mods you install from now, just ensure their BSAs are checked in the 'Archives' tab.

Welcome to STEP.

The file FalloutMO.exe is generated by the FNV4GB tool as the 'patched' exe that provides the 4GB functionality, it isn't created by MO.

It would seem you have come across the thread already about the AI problem. There are two things that you will need to check to ensure all the assets are correctly loaded and the game can function

The Fallout - Invalidation.bsa needs to be at the top of the list in the 'Archives' tab AND every other BSA listed needs to have a checkmark next to it. If they are not then those assets are not provided for the game.

Your steps to get the game running aren't generally needed, there is no need to launch it first then exit and enable AI, this is an error in MO and will be rectified in 1.3.9. As for any mods you install from now, just ensure their BSAs are checked in the 'Archives' tab.

Thank you for the welcome and for the informed reply GrantSP, it is most appreciated. I must say that I am very taken by MO and I see a little learning curve but I am starting to wonder how I got along without it before. Quick question that is unrelated, I am following the guide I listed in the OP:

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:EssArrBee/FalloutNewVegas

If I decide to include any story mods (i.e. Boom to the Moon) or a few others minor mods is there anything I should really be aware of while following the guide besides the usual watching for conflicts? The guide is simply amazing but some choice of mods I do not like and some I would love to include. Again thank you to the entire STEP team for the time and effort put into your project because you all really make the game(s) you support tenfold better and overall more enjoyable!

Edited by ElderDrake

My advice would be to install the F&L guide as it is described and then make a copy of it as a new profile, name it whatever you like and then remove/add mods as you see fit. MO's 'Profile Manager' allows you to easily copy an existing profile.

That way you know you will have a balanced, working, modded game that you can fall back to if your 'tweaking' doesn't work.