Which xEdit version for lodgen to use

Gazda

Question

Hey

I'm a bit confused about the FO3Edit and FO3LODGen parts of the guide. Two different program versions are recommended for use: 3.1.3 dev for FO3Edit and 3.1.2 for FO3LODGen but in FO3Edit part it is said that most recent version of the xEdit, which is 3.1.3., should be used, because "The development version includes the latest versions of additional capabilities such as LODGen for generating static LOD for Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Oblivion, and Skyrim." Are there any possible unwanted side effects in output files when using the newest v3.1.3 over the v3.1.2. or is it fine to use this newest version for FO3LODGen?

Thanks

5 answers to this question

The FO3Edit part of the guide points to the most recent version of xEdit. Until recently this was the version on AFK Mods, but currently this is in the Fallout 4 Nexus page.

The official page for FO3LODGen is still the page referenced in the guide, and the guide does use files from this page. Version 3.1.2a is listed as "People having crashes with 3.1.2 please try this version and report results in comments" so it is not shown as the latest official version. The FO3LODGen instructions already recommended using the existing xEdit (which would be the one already installed as part of the FO3Edit installation), but to make this clearer some additional text has been added. I haven't seen any reports of testing FO3 LOD Generation using the latest version of xEdit built for use with FO4, but I don't expect there are any problems.

The FO3 guide links to the latest official release setup by the mod authors, which for FO3Edit is the FO3Edit page and not the FO4Edit page. There is no guarantee that the latest version of xEdit on the FO4Edit page is stable. The guide notes for FO3Edit include a reference to the most recent version of xEdit (currently the FO4Edit version) which, as stated on the Nexus page, isn't an official release.

EssArrBee, thanks for answering!

It's all the same program. You just rename the EXE. v3.1.3 is the version number for all the current programs that xEdit can be.

Just make a copy of v3.1.3 and rename it what you want... FO3Edit, FO3LODGen, TES5Edit, TES5LODGen....

I know that it's the same program and yes I too have just one copy of TESxEdit .exe which I rename to FO3Edit, FO3View and FO3LODGen, but if you read my previous question closely the problem is I can't decide which version of xEdit to use for generating LOD files.

The FO3Edit part of the guide instructs us to use the most recent version of xEdit, which atm is 3.1.3., found here, and then it says:

The development version includes the latest versions of additional capabilities such as LODGen for generating static LOD for Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Oblivion, and Skyrim

The FO3LODGen part of the guide instructs us to use the 3.1.2. version of xEdit.

If v3.1.3. xEdit offers additional capabilities when generating LOD, then why use the previous v3.1.2.? If you check the FO3LODGen Nexus page, you'll see that there has been an update fix 3.1.2a, meaning that there's been some problems with v3.1.2. when generating LOD... Under the download link I see it says "fixes crashes" but I wonder if that's all?

Thanks

EDIT: Clicking on the FO3Edit link, in the Guide, should lead to the Fallout 4 Nexus, where the new xEdit build are being uploaded.

Edited by Gazda