After running fINIp3 in game settings not saving

Snarkyfork

Question

I followed the fallout guide (https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Kelmych/Fallout3_INIs) and ran the fINIp3 application and after getting in game the control settings would not save anymore. I checked the ini's to make sure they were not set to read only, they weren't. To get them to save I had to use a "saveini" console command. It worked but upon exiting the game I found that the ini's had been filled with all the spam that fINIp3 was suppose to remove.

So I restored my backups but now I have to ask... how do I get my game to save my custom control settings without breaking the changes fINIp3 made?

8 answers to this question

I don't understand what you mean by saving the INI files in the game. fINIp 3 changes Fallout.ini and FalloutPrefs.ini in <yourname>\Documents\My Games\Fallout3, and after this is done copy these INI files to the Mod Organizer profiles you use (as described in the guide). Any further editing of these files needs to be done in Mod Organizer with the INI editor or the Configurator; this changes only the versions of the INI files in the folder for the active profile. Mod Organizer uses the INI files in the profile folder(s), not the ones in <yourname>\Documents\My Games\Fallout3.

I moved the ini files from documents to the MO profiles folder.

I guess what I am trying to ask is (and maybe you answered it above)... Does using MO or fINIp3 prevent me from making in game changes to the default control scheme? You know... for example: set "move forward" to the E key rather than the default W key. When I make a change in game to the default controls then exit it does not save.

When I use the console command "saveini" it does indeed make changes to the MO ini but "something" seems to disable the ability to change the default control scheme while in game. I assume it is something that fINIp3 removed from the ini perhaps. Maybe the reasoning for this was to protect the changes fINIp3 makes by prevent fallout from saving to the ini?

I mean, all fINIp3 does is remove a bunch of garbage to make the ini's more manageable or readable, correct? By removing all that stuff it doesn't actually improve the performance of the game in any way, right? But the sacrifice you make for using fINIp3 is not being able to configure your control settings in game, which is a bit of an annoyance. I am not trying to be a booger here, just questioning the reasoning behind using fINIp3.

Edited by Snarkyfork

No, in addition to removing some settings that don't do anything fINIp 3 also sets the game parameters at reasonable values; some of the defaults are not always reasonable. It doesn't disable anything I'm aware of.

I'm not aware of any changes in key bindings done through the INI files. The ones I am aware of are done in the various xml files for the user interface.

I was under the impression that the controls were saved somewhere else (xml) also but just come to find out that when you change the default control settings the changes go into the falloutprefs.ini under [Controls]. I imagine there is (was) an ini setting that allowed/disallowed the changing of controls in game. I had to use the "saveini" command to save my settings (which caused my ini's to get spammed out) then copy the controls section into my backup's and restore them to the profiles folder. Unless there is something crazy going on I bet the author of fINIp3 intended it this way to prevent the changes from being undone on accident. I was just worried that if this was an error... that there were most likely other things wrong also. If you're curious just try changing a control setting for your keyboard then exit the game and re-enter to see if it sticks. I'm actually going back over a great deal of the STEP guides now and trying to follow them more closely. There are lots of little tips I never knew about.

This is what my controls section looks like (falloutprefs):

[Controls]

Forward=0012FF13

Back=0020FF14

Slide Left=001FFF17

Slide Right=0021FF16

Use=00FF0011

Activate=0013FF0A

Block=002A0110

Ready Item=001EFF0C

Crouch/Sneak=000FFF08

Run=0038FFFF

Always Run=003AFFFF

Auto Move=0010FFFF

Jump=0039FF0D

Toggle POV=0011020F

Menu Mode=0030FF0B

Rest=0015FF07

Vats=0014FF0E

Hotkey1=0002FFFF

Hotkey2=0003FFFF

Hotkey3=0004FFFF

Hotkey4=0005FFFF

Hotkey5=0006FFFF

Hotkey6=0007FFFF

Hotkey7=0008FFFF

Hotkey8=0009FFFF

QuickSave=003FFFFF

QuickLoad=0044FFFF

Grab=002FFF09

fXenonVertLookSpeed=1200.0000

fXenonHorizLookSpeed=1500.0000

bGamePadRumble=1

bInvertYValues=0

fMouseSensitivity=0.0020

Edited by Snarkyfork

Perhaps there are several mechanisms for setting key bindings. I know that at least some of the key bindings can be done in the xml files for the UI mods; you can find some of this in the DarN UI xml files. When using Mod Organizer it's a lot better to avoid dynamic editing of the INI files.

fINIp 3 is used to setup the initial base set of INI files, comparable to the default INI files created by Bethesda. Once that is done it isn't used any further.