Lights flicker when changing directional view

jonnrev

Question

I know this is a known issue at the start with the mara statue. On the guide it says "This is a bug only when initially starting a new game. Simply use the Mara statue to continue with the game error free or save and reload to get rid of the problem". Ive had this happen to 3 different places now in the game. In the dungeon entrance where that blind guy is stationed in, Silver hand hideout, and companion hallway between two rooms. The light doesn't flicker completely off, but instead it changes lighting shade. Really hoping this is all there is and hopefully i don't find anymore during my playthrough. I tried reloaded and it still happens.

ok it looks like ive fixed the problem. Before starting a new game I ran spINI and used the enb configuration in that mod. I reverted back to a backup ini I had and it fixed the problem. I checked the locations I had problems with and the lightbulb flickers were gone. spINI changed something in the ini files that caused the issue but I don't know what. I assumed spINI tool would help make my ini files more stable. I may just stick with the backup ini I had before using spINI and try not to change anything drastic in the files.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've read the section. Do you think maybe removing the Relighting Skyrim mod will fix the issue since it adds lightbulbs aswell? Since ive already have ELFX maybe that is all I need. Im at work right now so cant test at the moment but will do when I get home.

I wouldnt think RS would cause any issue.

ELFX is one of the worst offenders. The author fixes this by editing the meshes.

The only problem with this is if one is using a mod that replaces those meshes, such as parallax mods.

I really think Neo should remove the parallax mod from the guide because the issue you are observing is likely because of that mod.

It seems like every dungeon Ive explored now has atleast one lightbulb flicker. the last one i explored had 3. Its kind of annoying now.. lol. Is it safe to remove the Project Parallax Remastered mod in my load order? Do I have to rerun dyndolod, bash patch after? also will removing parallax remastered screw up the SR Conflict Resolution Patch that neovalen made. Im just scared of breaking things even more if i do decide to uninstall the mod. Thanks

This will be caused more by ELFX than RS. ELFX adds more lights than it should in order to adjust brightness in some locations rather than simply adjusting the bulb settings. Only 6 lights can hit a single mesh before they "flicker". ELFX can add up to 3 bulbs for a single source and that is the reason they're having to edit meshes. They are simply "splitting" meshes into different parts to overcome this, but that should only be necessary on very large meshes.

For what I read, this look more like the number of shadow caster than the number of lightbulb lighting a same nitrishape.

Potentially caused by incompatibilities between the new ELFX 3.0 and the "RS tailored for ELFX" version from SRLE if this one haven't been updated. Or installation error if you installed the full version of RS instead of just the stripped-down version provided in the guide.

For what I read, this look more like the number of shadow caster than the number of lightbulb lighting a same nitrishape.

Potentially caused by incompatibilities between the new ELFX 3.0 and the "RS tailored for ELFX" version from SRLE if this one haven't been updated. Or installation error if you installed the full version of RS instead of just the stripped-down version provided in the guide.

No, it's 6 lights total and a max of 3 shadow casters per mesh. Some instruction from JawZ:

6 Light bulbs, both none-shadow and shadow light bulbs, can hit one mesh surface at any given time, 7 or more will introduce the light flickering bug. Bare in mind that you should leave at least one space for players who run around with torches as that is 1 light bulb as well. Modders should walk around in their modded interior cells in game with a torch equipped to see if any light flickering bugs occur anywhere in the interior, and if it does fix it in the CK.

3 shadow light bulbs can be used within a certain proximity before they turn on and off, 4 or more can be added if enough distance is placed between the first 3 and the 4th, 5th etc light bulb. If memory serves from my last attempt to get a length number out of this, somewhere [around] ~4096 clicks is the minimum length needed for a new set of light bulbs to be available, if there are objects able to hide the light bulb from the player view.

No, it's 6 lights total and a max of 3 shadow casters per mesh. Some instruction from JawZ:

No, the shadow caster issue (2nd issue described by Jawz) is unrelated to the mesh-lighting thing (first pragraph) , those are two completely different things. It's 3 shadow caster in the same area, no matter the meshes.

Edit : Btw, fixing the mesh-lighting description in the wikipage linked by hishy, I wrote 4 light per meshpartition instead of 6 in there, my mistake.

Edited by Kesta

No, the shadow caster issue (2nd issue described by Jawz) is unrelated to the mesh-lighting thing (first pragraph) , those are two completely different things. It's 3 shadow caster in the same area, no matter the meshes.

Edit : Btw, fixing the mesh-lighting description in the wikipage linked by hishy, I wrote 4 light per meshpartition instead of 6 in there, my mistake.

You are correct and that is what I meant. It's still early for me. :) 6 total. 3 shadow casts per area, unless there is significant distance between them. :coffee:

I have a Asus GTX 980 Ti on windows 10. Also ive already downloaded the strip version from the link provided in the RS mod section Version: 3.6a (Download Here) . Also tried unchecking it; relighting skyrim and project parallax both and its still flickers in areas. it may just be the ELFX thats causing it, its sucha a big mod it would make sense.  Or maybe what DoubleYou said about his new card flickering in vanilla.. mine is fairly new aswell.