TES5Edit: Cleaned DLC files corrupted?

bardakista

Question

Hi,

I cleaned the DLC files according to STEP (Update, DG, HF & DB) and I notice 3 things :

1. File size is ridiculously small: Update.esm 1,302 KB, HearthFires.esm 3,376 KB etc.

2. Files are saved with .esm extension instead of the original .bsa

3. In Wrye Bash I get a "Warning: Corrupt/Unrecognized Files" and it lists the three DLCs (excluding Update.esm for some reason).

Are the files indeed corrupted (by the file size I assume very much so)? And should I have cleaned the files differently?

I followed Gophers instructions.

Edited by bardakista

10 answers to this question

My recommendation is to delete local content and reinstall Skyrim.  Once done, backup by the .esm's by copying them to another location before editing with xEdit so you don't have to reinstall skyrim again incase something breaks again.

Edit: Backup any mods or prepare to redownload them as well.

Edited by Vashi

Hi,

I cleaned the DLC files according to STEP (Update, DG, HF & DB) and I notice 3 things :

1. File size is ridiculously small: Update.esm 1,302 KB, HearthFires.esm 3,376 KB etc.

2. Files are saved with .esm extension instead of the original .bsa

3. In Wrye Bash I get a "Warning: Corrupt/Unrecognized Files" and it lists the three DLCs (excluding Update.esm for some reason).

Are the files indeed corrupted (by the file size I assume very much so)? And should I have cleaned the files differently?

I followed Gophers instructions.

You may have to re-evaluate what you are doing as this description of your process shows you have a misunderstanding of what is taking place.

The files you clean are *.esm files, not *.bsa as you contend.

ESM stands for Elderscolls Master files and BSA is Bethesda Softworks Archive, two very different types of files.

The file sizes you posted here are in fact accurate.

So the question here is: what are the files that WryeBash is complaining about? Perhaps the cleaned *.esm files are now in MO's 'Overwrite' and the backups are what WB is now confused about?

You may have to re-evaluate what you are doing as this description of your process shows you have a misunderstanding of what is taking place.

The files you clean are *.esm files, not *.bsa as you contend.

ESM stands for Elderscolls Master files and BSA is Bethesda Softworks Archive, two very different types of files.

The file sizes you posted here are in fact accurate.

So the question here is: what are the files that WryeBash is complaining about? Perhaps the cleaned *.esm files are now in MO's 'Overwrite' and the backups are what WB is now confused about?

You're being subtle albeit very accurate. I'm learning though...

I don't know where I went wrong the first time., but now I've purged the .esm files from both /data and /overwrite (just to be sure), reacquired the .esm files afresh, cleaned those and now the results seem right.

Here's another embarrassing question - do I need to reinstall all of the mods now?

I've never quite understood whether MO works like Picasa in the sense that the original files remain untouched (/data in this case), so that you can always revert back sans any editing you might have done, or conversely once you've installed a mod the original content is changed.