CTD on Fallout New Vegas main menu (Fear and loathing)

DRattman

Question

Hello there!

I'm kinda new to modding at this scale, so bear with me if you would!

I was installing mods for Fallout New Vegas following exclusively the "Fear and Loathing" (https://wiki.step-project.com/User:EssArrBee/FalloutNewVegas) guide, and only installing mods from it and doing whatever the guide requested of me (I HAVEN'T INSTALLED ANYTHING REGARDING ENBoost OR ENBs IN ANYWAY). I'm not 100% sure that I did everything exactly as was supposed, like clicking [Replace] instead of [Merge] whenever the guide didn't specify what to do. Anyways, my problem is the following:

I started following the guide, and occasionally launching the game to see if it worked for a couple of days now, and everything was cheeky. But one day, I went on to install the mods starting from the category "Plants & Stuff", right after the "Weather & Lighting" category, up until the end of the "Clothing is not optional" category. All in one go, unfortunately, so I couldn't check exactly where things went wrong. When I tried launching the game then, it would load normally, but then ctd as the main menu options were about to appear.

I feel I followed the guide as well as I could? What should I do? Any advice? Should I try disabling all the mods installed in that session and activate them one by one until the game ctds again? My problem with that is if I have to disable a mod that has been merged, or that is needed by another mod, or that required some other tweaking besides just activating it.

Thank you so much in advance.

LOOT Load Order:

0  0 FalloutNV.esm
 1  1 DeadMoney.esm
 2  2 HonestHearts.esm
 3  3 OldWorldBlues.esm
 4  4 LonesomeRoad.esm
 5  5 GunRunnersArsenal.esm
 6  6 ClassicPack.esm
 7  7 MercenaryPack.esm
 8  8 TribalPack.esm
 9  9 CaravanPack.esm
10  a YUP - Base Game + All DLC.esm
11  b Sortomatic.esm
12  c Interior Lighting Overhaul - Core.esm
13  d ELECTRO-CITY - CompletedWorkorders.esm
14  e NVInteriors_Core.esm
15  f NVInteriors_ComboEdition.esm
16 10 Tales from the Burning Sands.esm
17 11 ELECTRO-CITY - Highways and Byways.esm
18 12 domecity.esm
19 13 The New Bison Steve Hotel.esm
20 14 NVWillow.esp
21 15 NVInt_ARoomWithAView.esm
22 16 Afterschool Special.esm
23 17 Project Nevada - Core.esm
24 18 FCOMaster.esm
25 19 Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
26 1a Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
27 1b Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
28 1c D.E.I.M.O.S..esm
29 1d SomeguySeries.esm
30 1e Ambient Temperature.esm
31 1f JIP Selective-Fire.esm
32 20 Inventory Access.esm
33 21 Project Nevada - Extra Options.esm
34 22 oHUD.esm
35 23 Detect Traps.esm
36 24 Advanced Recon Tech.esm
37 25 Interior Lighting Overhaul - L38PS.esm
38 26 YUP - NPC Fixes (Base Game + All DLC).esp
39 27 Armor Replacer Child NPC Fix.esp
40 28 Game Tweaks..esp
41 29 Vurt's WFO.esp
42 2a Cut Content Merge.esp
43 2b DarNifiedUINV.esp
44 2c FPSWeaponWheel.esp
45 2d JIP Realistic Weapon Overheating.esp
46 2e JIP Companions Command & Control.esp
47 2f JIP Improved Recipe Menu.esp
48 30 Jump Fall Fixer.esp
49 31 Project Nevada - Rebalance Complete.esp
50 32 Project Nevada - All DLC.esp
51 33 Project Nevada - Cyberware Additions.esp
52 34 The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
53 35 The Weapon Mod Menu.esp
54 36 Pip-Boy Light - Vanilla.esp
55 37 FlashlightNVSE.esp
56 38 CASM with MCM.esp
57 39 Centered 3rd Person Camera - Unraised.esp
58 3a Sortomatic_for_House_of_the_Chef.esp
59 3b vault22FloralOverhaul.esp
60 3c NVWillow - Project Nevada Rebalance.esp
61 3d Roberts_NewVegas.esp
62 3e Better Burned Man.esp
63 3f FCO - Afterschool Special.esp
64 40 FCO - Beyond Boulder Dome.esp
65 41 FCO - NPC Changes.esp
66 42 Unofficial Patch Plus.esp
67 43 MiscItemIconsNV.esp
68 44 FCO - Roberts Patch.esp
69 45 FCO - The New Bison Steve.esp
70 46 FCO - Willow.esp
71 47 DeadMoneyFemaleTuxedo.esp
72 48 TrooperOverhaul-Dragbody.esp
73 49 RaestlozFactionArmorEnhancement.esp
74 4a Book of Steel.esp
75 4b Distributed Necklaces and Chains.esp
76 4c EMR-StealthSuitMkII.esp
77 4d NewVegasBounties.esp
78 4e NewVegasBountiesII.esp
79 4f ILO Merged.esp
80 50 1nivVSLArmors.esp
81 51 FNV Realistic Wasteland Lighting - All DLC.esp
82 52 OWB-Path Lights.esp
83 53 Laurens_Bathroom_poetry.esp
84 54 Mojave Nights.esp
85 55 ADAM Complete.esp
86 56 ADAM - MERGE.esp
87 57 Powered Power Armor.esp
88 58 Ambient Temperature - PPA.esp
89 59 YUP-PPA Patch.esp
90 5a Advanced Recon Merge.esp
91 5b DragonskinTacticalOutfit.esp
92 5c DTO-ProjectNevada.esp
93 5d Holster.esp
94 5e 1nivPNSLPatch.esp
95 5f YUP-Spice of Life Patch.esp
96 60 ILO - NVInteriors Project.esp
      Bashed Patch, 0.esp

8 answers to this question

Actually looking at the latest LOOT reports it says this about Vault 22:

Do not clean, otherwise, the game will crash on startup.

Clearly the guide needs an update. I'll make those changes now. That message is for Vault 22, as I mentioned earlier I use the non-plugin version of Wasteland Flora. You might want to run LOOT and see what messages it has about that one, it too may need an change to the guide.

I think the easiest way to uncover the issue is to do exactly as you propose... uncheck all the mods installed in this session, ensure the game works correctly. If the game is working, check a few mods at a time while continually checking that the game works as expected.

Okay, so I've just gotten around to working on this again, and exactly the first mod I installed from that session, which was Wasteland Flora Overhaul (with the Wasteland Flora Overhaul POCO Bueno LOD), gave me the CTD in the main menu as the options are about to load.

I deactivated it again, and tried to activate the rest of the mods. I successfully activated the following mods:

- Hectrol FX DUSTSTORM Deluxe HighRes Retex
- Hectrol Tumbleweed Deluxe HighRes Retex
- HiRes Raider Graffiti

- Improved LOD Noise Texture

- Laurens Bathroom Poetry

- Mojave Nights - a moon and stars replacer

When I tried to activate the next mod, Vault 22 Flora Overhaul, it caused the exact same kind of CTD. I deactivated it as well and tried the next mod in the list, Willow - A Better Companion Experience, and the game loaded without problems. Seems to be an issue specifically with flora overhauls?

Any help would be very appreciated, though if only these two mods offer problems, I can play witout them. But right now I'm pretty curious.

Edited by DRattman

Are you 100% sure you cleaned it with a version xEdit that doesn't break the plugin? Note the instructions to NOT use version 3.1.1 or earlier.

Yes, I followed those carefully. I'm using version 3.2, the main file in the nexus page.

EDIT: In fact, I'm not even sure if I cleaned Wasteland and Vault 22 Flora Overhauls, since I tried reactivating them, and opened LOOT to check on if they had any things to be cleaned. LOOT says not to clean both mods, because if you do, the game will crash on startup.

EDIT 2.0: Okay, so that should only be a problem for xEdit 3.1.1 or earlier as you've mentioned already. So I dunno. Now I'm certain I did clean them (upon rechecking the guide) and my version of xEdit should be fine for this, but those two mods crash my game on startup, or more precisely, as the main menu's options are about to show up.

Edited by DRattman

Restore the original plugins to those 2 mods from either the backups or re-install the mods and see if they still CTD. I see no issue with these mods that would cause a CTD, though I use the non-plugin version of Wasteland Flora.

I re-installed both mods, and that got rid of the CTD. I then proceeded to try and clean them, starting by cleaning only the ITMs from Wasteland Flora. The game still booted up without issues. It CTD'd again after I then cleaned the UDRs. I'm assuming the same would have happened if I tried to clean Vault 22 Flora, specially considering it only has UDRs to clean.

Is the fact that I can't seem to clean the UDRs gonna be a problem, or not worth worrying about at this point? If it isn't, I think my problem is solved (until another one inevitably appears :P ).

Actually looking at the latest LOOT reports it says this about Vault 22:

Clearly the guide needs an update. I'll make those changes now. That message is for Vault 22, as I mentioned earlier I use the non-plugin version of Wasteland Flora. You might want to run LOOT and see what messages it has about that one, it too may need an change to the guide.

Upon checking, LOOT says the same exact thing about Wasteland Flora. I guess I mixed up the things LOOT actually said with the LOOT info written in the guide, because I was sure LOOT also said not to clean UDRs IF using the wrong version.