How do I add an item to a FormList with a script

IWantMyMod

Question

Lets say I have this:

pluginFile := FileByIndex('My Plugin');
weapon := RecordByEditorID(pluginFile, 'MyWeapon');
formList := RecordByEditorID(pluginFile, 'MyFormList');

So I have an IInterface for a weapon and an IInterface for a FormList.  How do I add the weapon to the formList?

3 answers to this question

Thank you. I would have never figured that out on my own.  I wish I could find more well annotated examples of how to do various common tasks.

I discovered that RecordByEditorID() will not return an ARMO or FLST so I have to use MainRecordByEditorID(GroupBySignature(skyrim, 'ARMO'), 'ArmorDaedricShield') for example.

Also I discovered that if the FormList has no item then formids := ElementByName(formList, 'FormIDs') will return null and SetEditValue( ElementAssign(formids, HighInteger, nil, False), Name(weapon) ) fails.

I tried using formids := Add(formList, 'FormIDs', true). It worked but I end up with a null item in the list. Is there a way to add an empty FormIDs to the FormList?

No, you can't add empty arrays in xEdit, it always creates an empty entry in them automatically. You can use that empty element with proper checks

formids := ElementByName(formList, 'FormIDs');
if not Assigned(formids) then
  SetEditValue( ElementByIndex(Add(formList, 'FormIDs', True), 0), Name(weapon) )
else
  SetEditValue( ElementAssign(formids, HighInteger, nil, False), Name(weapon) );