Issues with installing mods

Tomack13

Question

Many of the mods I try to install, MO 2.2.0 will not allow me to select a game data folder to put on the top level.  All I get is the Red “No game data on the top levelâ€. This does not seem normal.

As we know this is the typical dropdown that appears if I choose yes.  â€œThis mod was probably NOT set up correctly, most likely it will NOT work.  You should first correct the directory layout using the content-tree).  How and where does one access the content-tree?  How do I proceed from here?

2 answers to this question

I have started using MO v2.2.0 for fallout 4.  After using MO for Skyrim, for about two years and thought it was the greatest. I still feel that way. So, when NMM was dumped I went to Vortex and found it to be a piece of s*** (no other way to say it). So, I started with MO2 and found many improvements from the time it started. So, I am somewhat familiar with its workings.

Let me say in advance I do not seem to have a problem with FOMODS.

The problem I am having is when installing mods. Once the mod is downloaded, I double click the mod to install it. The quick install window opens and I select Manual. The next window opens on most of the mods that states "No game data on top level". Then I go down the list of files and try to choose the data file and select it. I then choose the data file so it will be placed on the top. Now it is supposed to turn green and say "it looks good". But when I try to select the data file nothing happens. Next I have tried to select OK but as you know it tells me "This mod was probably NOT set up correctly, most likely it will NOT work. You should first correct the directory using the content-tree". How do I do this?  Probably, half of my mods have this same issue and I am not sure how to proceed from there. In the left column I have 166 mods. In the right Plugins column, I have 200.

My question is, what do I have to do to fix this problem or am I not understanding something?