Should I STEP now, or wait?

ElricOfGrans

Question

I have not been playing Skyrim for a while and was thinking about starting another new game.  I needed to reset to vanilla and update my mods anyway, but when I did a little reading here I discovered you are in the process of transitioning to a better format in 3.0.0.  Should I go ahead with STEP 2.2.8 (or even 2.2.9, as it presently stands?), or would it be better for me to just wait for 3.0.0?

PS The captcha on this forum was painful.  It took me a few minutes to get the images to line up properly.  Why not the good old random gibberish?

• +1 1

4 answers to this question

Seconding this. I came here to ask exactly the same question on the same day.

Is there an ETA on 3.0.0? (Actually I think it's called 2.3.0)

How different will it really be? Will there [ever] be a tool to automate the installation of the STEP core?

I've installed STEP before in the past, almost a year ago now. The changes are magnificent, but it's such a big time investment to set up, with more than a couple of headaches. Or at least, it was the last time I did this.

I'm not part of the dev team, but I don't will be major changes to it. Going from 2.2.8 to 2.2.9 should not take more than 30minutes if you already have 2.2.8. Probably the same going from 2.2.9 to 2.3 in the future. 90% of the mods for STEP Core have been pretyt much set in stone for a long time now.

Also don't forget that each step release (from 2.2.5 or 2.2.6 onwards) is meant to be closer to 2.3.0. So yeah, better install the STEP asap astart playing a proper Skyrim game!