ESM files order

Octopuss

Question

Does it matter in what order are these files loaded? I think I read somewhere it doesn't (as opposed to ESPs), but for example Skyrim Project Optimization's description specifically says to load it before anything else (minus the game files of course).

5 answers to this question

Please be more polite to the rest of the community here, Octopuss. While it is true DoubleYou's answer wasn't what you were looking for, it doesn't excuse impolite posting towards him. There are real people behind the name and avatars, treat the users like how you would treat people: respectfully. Frankly, Octopuss, you are becoming a fuss'n'bother to the community here - do not continue your discourteous behavior.

Additionally, before asking a question, please make sure you search your question beforehand. Likely, it will either be answered here or on another related site. This includes the one you asked - ESM files are the same as ESP files, but always loaded earlier than ESP files. This means all the same rules for ESP files apply to ESMs. This explanation will help you find your answer.

Thread also moved to General Support from the general Skyrim forum (please place support questions in the actual support forums).

Octo:

Unless specifically instructed, ESM order isn't important or pertinent due to the very nature of ESM's. Yes, ESM  ordering can, every now and then matter depending on the mod, but generally it doesn't at all. The Mod Author is the expected "expert" in regards to their own ESM's, so if they don't specify any special treatment than that will have to suffice.

Take Skyrim Project Optimization by rgabriel15 as an example:

As my mod add objects (occlusion planes) to Cells, it could revert other mods changes (like lighting, fog, etc) back to vanilla. Aware of that, i made the plugin as a master (.esm).
All you need to do is load my mod just after the game and DLCs .esm files and before any mod .esm or .esp. That way you will ensure other mods overwrite my mod and have no conflicts.
EXAMPLE:

CORRECT LOAD ORDER:

A correct load order with my mod being loaded after main .esm files and before Climates of Tamriel.esm and other mods.

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
Hearthfire.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Skyrim Project Optimization.esm
Skyrim Project Optimization - Dawnguard.esm
Skyrim Project Optimization - Dragonborn.esm
Climates of Tamriel.esm
other .esp plugins

INCORRECT LOAD ORDER:

A incorrect load order with my mod being loaded after main .esm but after Climates of Tamriel.esm.

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
Hearthfire.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Climates of Tamriel.esm
Skyrim Project Optimization.esm
Skyrim Project Optimization - Dawnguard.esm
Skyrim Project Optimization - Dragonborn.esm
other .esp plugins

Octo, some people think straight talk is rude. :)

Edited by Kuldebar