How to troubleshoot texture problems?

Troubleshooting these problems usually requires using FO3Edit to see what is happening with the bodies and faces. For example, see if anything overwrites objects from the FCO (Project Beauty) mod. 

I made a feeble attempt at this, but I don't know what I'm looking at.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know of any videos or web pages that show using xEdit to examine a problem like this.

Pick an NPC that is having problems with the head. Activate FO3Edit. Click the plus sign next to Project Beauty.esm and then click the plus sign next to Non-Player Character. Find the row with the NPC you want to check. The right hand window will show all the mods that change plugin records for this NPC. See if there are any records that are changed by mods other than Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch.esm, Project Beauty or a Blackened patch that includes Project Beauty content.

OK, I have tried many things but I cannot find a solution for all the texture related problems I have.

To be more specific I have 3 kind of problems which I think aren't connected:

• The black rectangles on some NPC's bodies and clothes, which is the only one that I've managed to fix, by using the "Breezes" body mod (I haven't installed it correctly the first time).
  • The different tone color between the neck/face and body.
  • The weird body texture with some male outfits.

I use Lone Wanderer's ENB, but the problems remain with or without it.

However, I managed to narrow down the problems and I think there are not plugin related. For example I checked Nova in xEdit and the relevant records are replaced only by Project Beauty. I did the same for Confessor Cromwell etc.

I think the different tone color, is caused by the "Type3 Armor Replacers" mod and/or other clothing mods which replace texture/meshes but I don't know which exactly.

The weird body texture problem, I think is caused by the Armor Fixes that both male body mods install but I also don't know which is the exact file (texture/mesh) that is causing the problem.

I would appreciate if anyone know how to fix any of the above problems or can point me to the right direction.

Edit: deleted the attached images in order to free space for new ones in a later post

Edited by nameerf

It would help if you provide the name of the NPCs whose images you are showing so we can find them in the game and check them. It always possible that there may be differences between the face and body since they are provided by two separate mods, but others can check and see if the same issue happens with their game. There are other clothing mods than the Exeter ones for females; the Exeter ones are the only ones included in the guide since they they are the only comprehensive set of clothing and armor mods that use an underwear version of the body. The other female clothing mods typically don't add underwear to the body.

Like mcshame said (where from his picture appears he is having the same problem), in the first picture is Nova and in the second one is Confessor Cromwell, both in Megaton. I could give many more examples but you get the point.

There are some other NPCs (e.g. Moira, Jenny Stahl), where in vanilla they wear a t-shirt under their overalls but in the guide there is no t-shirt (their skin is being shown instead).

It always possible that there may be differences between the face and body since they are provided by two separate mods,

Yeah, I get that but firstly in some other NPCs (some random ones, punks etc.) the difference is way more noticeable and secondly I think that the guide must provide a more integrated solution/package between all the face/body/clothing mods.

Anyway, it would be nice if someone has the time and/or the knowledge to find a solution and share it with us. I stick to my opinion that the problems aren't plugin related but texture/mesh related.

Was just reading the Fallout 3 Redesigned - Formerly Project Beauty HD.  There is a post that seems to relate to this problem by Sarcarsis posted on Jan 30, 2016.  He says the Type3 Armor Replacers are causing it and gave a before and after shot.

This is what he wrote:

The thing is that vanilla armor meshes do include vanilla body. Armor is not just the mesh applied to your body mesh, it is a combined model. Go to 
[Data\Meshes\Armor\WastelandClothing06] and try removing/deleting [outfitF.nif] if it exists..

Another person thank him and said it fixed it.  We should verify, seems a little to easy...

Another person refered to these 2 videos that fixed his problem.  At work and haven't opened them, not sure of the content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbaluk9aQCE
Edited by Greg

I assumed you already did the standard fixes of making sure that Archive Invalidation is set in MO, and that bLoadFaceGenHeadEGTFiles=1 is set in Fallout.ini (as per the guide). These fixes account for the majority of Internet posts about this problem.

Yes, both of those are set up correctly.  I did some troubleshooting...turning mods on and off, hiding meshes and textures, likely lot's of stuff that doesn't make sense but in the end, basically the body and head are different colours. Some of the results of my troubleshooting created creatures worthy of the wasteland!

And when the clothing is removed, there is no issue.  It almost like the skin is part of the clothing and it is the wrong colour.

Edited by mcshame

Hiding this mesh "\Meshes\Armor\WastelandClothing06\outfit.nif" like it was suggested didn't solve the problem for me. I also tried to hide/unhide some of the other meshes in "Armor\WastelandClothing*" which also didn't solve the problem.

Yes, both of those are set up correctly.  I did some troubleshooting...turning mods on and off, hiding meshes and textures, likely lot's of stuff that doesn't make sense but in the end, basically the body and head are different colours. Some of the results of my troubleshooting created creatures worthy of the wasteland!

And when the clothing is removed, there is no issue.  It almost like the skin is part of the clothing and it is the wrong colour.

Same here. About the problem with male NPCs like Confessor Cromwell, I think it's caused by the '\Meshes\Armor\wastelandsettler03\outfit.nif' which comes with the armor fixes in both body mods.

@mcshame

Apart from the different color in females do you also have the problem with the males like Confessor Cromwell?