xlive.dll lets Fallout 3 crash

compleCCity

Question

Hello.

I'm trying Mod Organizer the first time, just followed the steps in the guide and set up my installation.

A short time into Fallout 3 it crashes with the message, that xlive.dll was the faulty module.

Yes, I know, who does need that…?

I! Still don't have all achievements and… why not?

The crash does not happen when I launch the game without Mod Organizer.

The crash does always happen when launched via MO, independent of having or not signed in to Windows Live.

So, what's the catch?

7 answers to this question

MO 'hooks' the executables it manages so that they can be 'tricked' into seeing the so-called VFS. Fallout calls xlive.dll to manage the interaction with Windows Live but it can't find it because MO has 'hooked' it (Fallout3.exe) and the code is looking in the wrong location.

I doubt you can still get any interaction with Fallout 3 on Windows Live, if you can I find that remarkable.

The end result though is you can not get MO to manage Fallout 3 AND have Games for Windows Live active.

Thanks!

At least the log in is functionally. I would have to look which achievements I am missing and could try to work directly into that direction, to see if that still works.

All guides I've found don't tell that. Of course the GFWL disabler is mentioned, along with the note that FOSE requires it, too.

So if that's the only way I'd have to let MO manage my mods, but launch the game otherwise. Or switch back to NMM. (After one day setting MO up I surely can say, I like it more. ::): )

Or would there be a parameter, an argument I could give to the executable call?

(Why is this text smaller than the others?)

Edited by compleCCity

There is no correlation with MO managing your mods and MO not using xLive.

The first is to do with how mods are seen by the game and the latter is to do with the code in the executable not finding the correct location to load the DLL.

I know of no way to get xLive to function with MO, nor do I see a need, but that's just a personal choice. The game functions perfectly well without the achievements.

You can't add a DLL to the list of executables that MO can load so that's one method ruled out. If you do find a method I can only imagine it involves some messy hacking of files to make them appear to something they're not. Not something I would encourage users to do.

I would be very interested to know why you want to have this "feature". What is it about these Windows Live achievements that is appealing, above and beyond the game itself?

Why do developpers and game portal providers introduce achievements? Because they are a motivation factor for gamers. :;):

Okay, I'm beyond this. I could enjoy games without them. But if they are a feature, why not use it? (And they would give me xBox live points, however I don't have use for them. :;): )

'kay… Perhaps I should re-evaluate my approach to the game. Would make it much more easy to use mods requiring FOSE. And there're a lot of those…

Thanks again! If I find a way (or at least can confirm, the achievement system still works) I'll let you know.

Steam also supports achievements with many games including Bethesda games, but this doesn't seem to work with Fallout 3. Fallout 3 worked with either Steam or CD installations, and is the last Bethesda game that didn't require Steam. It is possible  to link Steam with Fallout 3 (see the Clear and Present Danger guide for details) but even this doesn't support achievements with Steam.