SafeAutoSave (by axonis)

axonis

While I've only registered today, I've been reading STEP resources for several months in order to improve my game's stability so I'd like to suggest my mod for STEP evaluation & analysis.

SafeAutoSave (afkmods.com/index.php?/files/file/2099-safeautosave)

I've made this mod because I needed a reliable interval-based autosaver. It's using a configurable interval but it combines 20+ conditions under the hood to prevent saves from being issued when it's risky or annoying, such as drawing a bow. It also avoids saving during combat or when the player character is moving in high speed, but these conditions relax over time. Finally it does not reset its timer when a save can't be created (such as while talking or crafting).

The mod by default can serve as a direct improvement to vanilla autosaves which are really badly implemented. A player can quickly overwrite all her slots simply because she moved in and out of her home several times. The configuration panel detects vanilla save options and warns the user accordingly.

There's also an option for improved filenames which allows different characters to use autosaves without overwriting each others. These look normal in the game save list but the option is still not enabled by default because it may confuse users.

The number of slots is also configurable and controls both normal autosaves as well as those with improved filenames.

I've used the mod for almost a year and I now only create a single manual save when I close the game. I no longer think about saves mid-game which allows me to focus on role playing instead. I use 7 slots which cover about an hour and a half of gaming, which is perfectly sufficient for me.

• +1 1

• 3 years later...