Looking at Follower mod, I was intrigued by the use of hot keys, particularly the ability to hot key a wait command.   get followers to wait, move and scout (lay traps, etc), then pull enemy and retreat to followers.  Or, have a mule follower, and just get them to wait a little way back.  

I also used a previous version some time back, and was quite impressed with the class system, healer followers would actually heal you (super powerful for melee fighters), rangers (i.e. non melee fighters) would actually keep range and run away from charging enemies, and mages would actually mage (i.e. shoot magic, and NOT run forward and punch the saber cat and getting mauled).  

Also opening multiple followers bags at once when you are looting so that you don't have to walk around redistributing stuff. 

Currently starting the rebuild process.  

(yay, que fireworks) 

First step will be wiping and reinstalling Skyrim and the STEP pack from scratch.  There are too many things changed that I can't really support an upgrade of any kind from the previous pack build to the new one.  

SAVES ARE NOT SUPPORTED FOR THE NEW VERSION.  

Please finish your current game first, then rebuild for the new version.  

--- sorry 'bout that ---

Reviewing Past posts, looking for people's suggestions. 

Kabepo:

The Pack includes Harvest Overhaul by Omeletter and Xubarku.

Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul (CACO) by kryptopyr - is a popular mod from a well known mod developer.

CACO fully integrates the Harvest Overhaul mod.

The problem has been that there was no Requiem patch for CACO.

But just this week a new patch was released.

Requiem - Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul Compatibility Patch by schofida

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/81899/?

It is still very immature and untested. But it may be worth considering for the future.

The Pack uses SM Drop Lit Torches, and has the comments:

"Had a CTD related to this. Still confirming. For now, I would suggest uninstalling this mod, and relying on Wearable Lanterns for your dungeon lighting needs

• These two may also conflict. Investigation ongoing."

There is a newer mod

Simple Drop Lit Torches by Snotgurg

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/56566/?

which may be worth investigating.

Better Fast Travel - Carriages and Ships - Overhauled by Dj20 and Sp0rk

is on the "Dangerous, Outdated and Superseded Mods" list

https://steamcommuni...90681422555089/

The recommended replacement mod is Complete Fast Travel Overhaul
https://www.nexusmods...im/mods/68221/?

The Civil War Overhaul mod is no longer available, the mod author has withdrawn the mod.

So you may want to remove it from the Pack.

Need replacements for Apollowsdown's mods.  

• Important Information Overhaul (IIO) 
  • Civil War Overhaul (CWO)
  • Dragon Combat Overhaul (DCO)

These mods can be assumed to be gone for good (Along with their author).  Which means I need to find replacements for them.  Please post your thoughts about this on another forum or I'm liable to reply, and that conversation won't be good for anyone....  (and I'll start spewing all kinds of language and probably get banned off of STEP...  sigh). 

Currently investigating Ultimate Skyrim pack (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/82846/?) Ultimate Skyrim.  So far, the majority of mods in this pack are already present in Skyrim STEP Extended.  This pack is similar to this pack, but different enough (from my preference) that I've decided not to drop this set up and convert over (no open cities for instance).  On the other hand Belmont Boy's pack is probably more stable than my pack set up, and he seems like a more experienced modder (with many people helping him too) so his patches will probably do their job better compared to mine.  If you don't care for Open Cities like I do (or want a "lighter" mod pack) please check his setup out.  

And the name for his mod pack rocks too.  

Edit:  on closer inspection, this is not quite true.  He takes a different approach on a number of things, between textures, lighting, etc.  I don't think his pack is bad, it looks quite awesome, but its not what I'm trying to build.  It really comes down to flavour, so pick what you like really. 

Edited by Mr_Moal

Rebuild in progress.  Just wanted to point out that some mods have not been added yet, and in its current condition this pack has not yet been actually tried out yet, and will probably be a week before its in a BETA stage that is ready for testing.  

wow, I might need to pair things down a little, got nearly 100 mods listed as part of this pack.  Darn esp limit, you are my bane.  

Edit: Merge Plugins mod to the rescue (I hope). 

Edit 2017 07 11 Alpha 2.0.1 instructions are listed.  

to do list: 

• play test each function from each mod
  • custom compatibility patch, going through (ugg) nearly every mod that conflicts, and patching stuff.  
  • More testing. 
Edited by Mr_Moal
  • 2 weeks later...

I've looked at that before, and it sounded truly interesting.  I know the other mod, Spell crafting should work with my setup, as immersive collage of Winterhold actually has an open room set aside exactly for the spell crafting mod.   

The main problem I have is I've already bitten off more than I can chew at the moment.  Work decided to act up just as I have a mid term coming up for a summer course I'm taking in collage, so this week will be, er, interesting.    Once I get this mod pack hammered down (got to fix the sky lighting bug and Follower Mod's "are you skilled" dialogue bug to start with) I have time to look into it.  If you are feeling adventurous to brave the harsh rapids of the vast Google river ;-), could you research for possible conflicts between Spell Research, Requiem (latest 1.9.4 version), and Requiem Minor arcana?  Minor arcana is the wild card here, I have not played with it before so I don't fully know how it will effect the game, and since it touches spells, then the chances of some conflicts between it and Spell Research are likely.  

(2017 07 20) Since these STEP Packs will be formally discontinued come STEP 3.0, I will be moving this pack to "Mod Picker", and continuing work on it there.

REF: https://forum.step-project.com/topic/2979-building-packs-on-the-wiki/

Edit:  I've spent a few hours looking into Mod picker, and I'm stumped right out of the gate.  

Primary issue is no custom instructions.  Many many mods can be installed in a wide range of ways, giving you all kinds of choices and compatibility patches.  I cant' find a way to include this information.   On the pack page right now, you get a Nexus link on the left panel, and an area to list install notes.   With out these install notes, I don't know how I"m going to set up this list.  

- I also need to un install several mods from STEP, because they conflict with stuff from Requiem.  so how to list that?  

Next This tool assumes you have every single mod selected, which means I'll need to essentially build STEP myself (its built as a "test" version right now) along with my mods.  the work load this looks like is, well, "lots".  

Edited by Mr_Moal
  • 4 weeks later...

2017 08 11

I have had a great work opportunity arise that will require lots of overtime, so I will be unable to give any time to work on this pack. This pack is on hold at least for the next month (August), and whenever I get time hobbies (or games of any kind) this will be the first thing I return to. I do not intend to abandon this project, but it will remain on hold until work stabilizes somewhat.

• 4 months later...

I've finally had some time to re-visit this project again.  I've basically updated a few mods that have new builds since I last was on the Nexus, and disabled a pile of stuff to avoid the need to make merged mods. Needless to say, this has avoided a whole tone of headakes.  will see if this helps stabilize stuff. Hope to get back to playing Skyrim over the Christmas season.  

Main Mod page has been updated (mostly) and should be usable again.  All Merged patches have been removed, and I instead opted to disable mods to get under the 255 .esp limit.  So far the game is working great.   

The only gripe I have is that I think the interriors of buildings are too bright to be "realistic".  that said, those of you who like to be able to see inside buidlings rather than having a black screen with some candles flickering here and there will be happy.  Guess function over realism in this case isn't so bad an idea.  

The Follower Mod's "Are you skilled" bug is slightly annoying, but I remember someone had a patch for that, so I'll add a link when I find it.  in the mean time, its not game breaking or anything.   

So far, playin... ahem, testing, has been progressing reasonably smoothly. I’ve had the usual crash every 2-5 hours of game play, but I’ve been unable to isolate any repeatable crashes. And as soon as I’ve turned on papyrus logging, I haven’t gotten any crashes over the last few hours, which makes no sense.

In terms of game play, there is simply too much content to test out in a single play through. Bugs seem to be intermittent and non repeatable, which is (I guess?) a good sign? I’ve had a few fun encounters, such as finally defeating a bear with my new low leveled char, and thinking ha finally can kick some ass. Less than a minute later, I hear the sound effect of invisibility, and think ah, one of those darn invisible khjitt thieves. Well, nope, that was no khjitt, but a warrior in full steel plate with some kick ass sword that dropped my heavily armorred warrior in one hit. Sigh, requiem has this way of bringing me back down to earth again just as soon as I think I got this. "In unrelated news", Death Alternative Your Money or Your Life Mod seems to work just fine...

• 1 year later...

I am aware that there have been many changes to how xEdit works, and have not had a chance to change my mod pack for that.   I will probably have to re-build the mod back from the ground up to take into account all the STEP changes, as well as replace missing mods.