Photo

Went through the guide, hit a brick wall.

troubleshooting skyrim step guide crash

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Zerotix

Zerotix

Prisoner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:42 PM

https://wiki.step-pr...tix/SystemSpecs

Hello all!

This is my first post, and I'm ashamed to say that I'm using it as a cry for help. I've been a part of the nexus website since 2006/2007 and have been a modaholic since Oblivion. Back in 2011 when Skyrim was released, I built a machine to be able to play the game. Fast forward years later, and I do the same thing for FO4. Well, I wanted to come back to Skyrim after being disappointed. So here I am. I've followed the STEP guide as best as I could, carefully going through the tedious effort of installing each mod as instructed and each tool used accordingly (MO, TES5Edit, WyreBash, etc).

I'd love to say I learned a lot over the past week following this guide, carefully scrolling down every few lines each day after work, but I feel like I've learned absolutely nothing. I successfully backtraced my steps along the way to avoid problems, but since doing the bashed patch, I feel like every move I make means something is going to go wrong. Wyre Bash has a few red flags, and now LOOT is giving me my first error ([0419/232651:ERROR:main_delegate.cc(730)] Could not load cef_extensions.pak).  I'd love to get some expert help on the process here. I want to fix the game without having to restart the entire process :(

At this moment, I am unable to launch the game. I get into the game, and it's able to load, but once I select new game and wait for the neverending load screen (with nice new lore friendly messages), the game immediately shuts down. Also, since installing the mods, the NPCs have doubled for some reason. Every NPC in every town I visited seemed to have had a clone near by.

LOOT Order

Attached are the ini files.

Attached Files

#2 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:17 AM

The file "cef_extensions.pak" is part of the Steam installation. Have you run the game at least once outside of MO so that the correct registry settings are established?

#3 Zerotix

Zerotix

Prisoner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:34 AM

Yeah one of the first things I did was start the launcher and make sure an ini file was written.

#4 Astakos

Astakos

Jarl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:38 AM

Why are you using ETaC-Complete and then ETaC's modular towns as well?

It is one or the other...NOT both.

#5 Zerotix

Zerotix

Prisoner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:48 AM

I'm not sure. As far as I can remember it was a single installer and it had optional patches that I applied for Falskaar and Wytmtooth.

The silver lining I'm beginning to see is that I have the mods downloaded already, so I suppose if I decide to scrap everything I'll at least be ready to install everything again. The only thing that changed was that TES5Edit updated to 3.1.3 and I'll have to check each mod again in case they did too.

#6 Astakos

Astakos

Jarl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:54 AM

ETaC has 2 versions...ETaC Complete and ETaC modular.

You use the moidular version only when you do not want to install some of its towns for compatability reasons.

But you SHOULD NOT have both versions installed.

#7 Kelmych

Kelmych

Dragon King

• Super Moderators
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:08 PM

The modular versions of ETaC are used only when you don't want to use all of the locations that ETaC supports. For example, if you use the Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul mod (included in STEP and SR:LE) then you should use the modular version and eliminate several of the locations that are known to cause problems with ICAIO. This needs to be done for the main part of the mod as well as the patches. If you want to merge the ETaC modular files there is a detailed set of instructions on the Forum section of the ETaC Nexus page. If you choose to use ETaC and merge these files, it is a little challenging but the instructions are quite detailed.

#8 Zerotix

Zerotix

Prisoner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:27 PM

Yeah like I said I'm not sure how I missed the double esps. It explains the duplicate NPCs but it still worked with immersive citizen overhaul, it only crashed when I finished the step guide and created a bashed patch. I'll have to go through the process again and be on the lookout for it this time.

Brings up more questions but I think I can find those answers somewhere in the forum. My only questions now is should I try the extended guide and add the mods throughout or should I just do the core guide and add mods later?

Edited by Zerotix, 20 April 2016 - 02:55 PM.

#9 Kelmych

Kelmych

Dragon King

• Super Moderators
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:58 PM

If you are starting a new game it's a good idea to start with all the mods you are going to use, at least the mods with plugins. Some plugins can be added after the game starts but this is always a potential source of problems. One possibility is to start the game with STEP Core or STEP Extended and play for a short time, then decide whether this set of mods is sufficient and whether there are problems with VRAM use, script use, etc.

#10 Zerotix

Zerotix

Prisoner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:09 PM

Will all of the downloaded mod archives be intact when I go to reinstall Skyrim? Do I have to reinstall mod manager and other tools, or just create a new profile in MO?

Edited by Zerotix, 20 April 2016 - 06:09 PM.

#11 Greg

Greg

Dragonborn

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:30 PM

You should be able to just create a new profile in Mod Organizer.

#12 Kelmych

Kelmych

Dragon King

• Super Moderators
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:30 PM

Should just be a new profile.

#13 Zerotix

Zerotix

Prisoner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:03 AM

Okay I'm off today and dedicating the time to go through the guide again. I've just installed Skyrim and ran the launcher to set the files. I'm about to run the game and go through the beginning just to make sure the files are ready to mod. Once I'm done there, I will set MO up with a new profile and Back-date the BSAs.

Since the mods are already downloaded I just have to reinstall them in order according to the guide correct? And go through the detailed instructions just like last time? I guess my question here I dont have to redownload anything right?

Also, Expanded TaC, Wyrmtooth, Falskaar, and Immersive Armors & Weapons are the only other mods I can think of that I'd want to include. Should I go ahead and install these mods first to get them out of the way to make sure all patches and fixes work? Or should I hold off and wait until the end of the guide to go back and install these later, following the instructions in the forums for installing mods on top of STEP?

I apologize for the questions. The more answers I get, the more I learn, the less I need to ask, and I'd really like to learn at least a little here :)

#14 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:54 AM

No need to download again if you already have them. Install the extra mods first so that you don't miss any patches along the way.

#15 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:55 PM

Install STEP:Core or STEP:Extended ONLY ... according to the guide, following every detail. Set this as your STEP profile (STEP build). Then once you confirm it works on a new or existing char, copy this profile to a new profile and install your extra mods, then verify this profile (STEP custom build).

Also, with MO, you 'install' mods only once according to the build instructions. If the custom build requires that certain STEP mods have different options (see instructions for mods you add beyond STEP), then you would 'install' these mods AGAIN using a slightly different name so that in your MO Mod directory, you might have ./STEP Mod/ and ./STEP Mod (custom)/ ... you never need to install these mods again (aside from updating them as necessary, modifying or overwriting the original in the MO Mod dir). You simply check/uncheck and order them according to the STEP 'install' order for each respective profile.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: troubleshooting, skyrim, step, guide, crash

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users