Photo

Went through the guide, hit a brick wall.

troubleshooting skyrim step guide crash

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Zerotix

Zerotix

Prisoner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:03 PM

Alright, I will be going through the extended guide once more. Ever diligent.

EDIT: For the STEP Core Guide 2.D. Fixes the STEP Optimized Vanilla Textures it says "Simply download and install one of the Optional Files and then check the archive in the Archives tab."

Does this mean the two plugins it comes with are also dummy plugins?

Edited by Zerotix, 21 April 2016 - 10:18 PM.

#17 Zerotix

Zerotix

Prisoner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:33 AM

https://wiki.step-pr...Recommendations

This page says TES5Edit cleaning required. Do I have to follow the same steps as the Update, Dawguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn esps (ie copy the esp, then clean, then move back and create mod from Overwrite)?

If not, I'll follow as instructed and simply clean the esp, no harm no foul.

#18 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:02 AM

Clicking the title of that notification will take you to instructors. It's just like cleaning the ESMs. In this case, just the ITM needs to be removed.

#19 Zerotix

Zerotix

Prisoner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:15 AM

Ah, yes, but my question was about that specifically. Nowhere does it say on that page to move anything, it just says to clean with TES5Edit. Even the specific cleaning instructions have nothing about moving files, but the beginning of the guide had me move files in order to clean. See where I'm coming from?

Edited by Zerotix, 22 April 2016 - 01:16 AM.

#20 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:51 AM

Ah, yes, but my question was about that specifically. Nowhere does it say on that page to move anything, it just says to clean with TES5Edit. Even the specific cleaning instructions have nothing about moving files, but the beginning of the guide had me move files in order to clean. See where I'm coming from?

The instruction to make copies of the DLC and move them back into the Data folder is solely for those plugins.

That way Steam will not complain about missing files and the cleaned DLC, that are now in mods of their own, will be used by the game and will not be replaced if you do a 'Verify game cache' in Steam.

None of that is applicable to any mod that you clean and xEdit will simply create a backup copy in the mod's folder.

#21 Zerotix

Zerotix

Prisoner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:03 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. I've decided to go ahead and trim the fat from the installation, so I'm sticking to the core guide and then working in the STEP packs later. I don't know if the mods I want are covered, but I know the forum will have more answers. I'll post again if I run into any more walls lol

#22 Zerotix

Zerotix

Prisoner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:00 PM

Oh hey, my previous question went unanswered. STEP DLC Optimized Textures and STEP Vanilla Optimized Textures in the STEP Guide 2.D. Fixes has "Simply download and install one of the Optional Files and then check the archive in the Archives tab." Does this mean I can untick said plugins? The only reason I ask is in the right pane, they are both the only ESPs that have the duster icon next to them.

#23 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:04 PM

Yes, MO users can uncheck them. They've been created for WB users and for the future possibility of migrating to MO2, if it ever supports Skyrim.

#24 Zerotix

Zerotix

Prisoner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:25 PM

https://wiki.step-pr...Recommendations

The notice on this page tells me not to merge this mod during the bashed patch, but the bashed patch detailed instructions don't mention it. I've been trying to keep up with the pages that require further instructions, but is this the only mod I need to be on the lookout for? And how do I exclude this mod?

EDIT: I feel like there should be a section between 2.N and 2.M titled "Double Check" that lists links to all of the detailed instructions for the mods that require changes AFTER they are installed. It wouldn't be that big of a section either, as there's only a few.

Edited by Zerotix, 22 April 2016 - 09:30 PM.

#25 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:00 PM

I've removed that warning. The mod has been updated with a NoMerge tag so it will skip the merging on its own.

Such a section could be put in. Could be useful to new users. A MCM section is also in the works already.

#26 Zerotix

Zerotix

Prisoner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:08 PM

I love editing, so a checklist page would be of great use to people like me. This installation is going much better than the first, but I'm still unsure about additional mods. I'm assuming theres a way to freeze MO after Skyrim is stable to be able to revert? That'd be cool.

And you beat me to it, a MCM section is what I was going to suggest next, though I'm sure I'm wayyyyyyyy behind. Don't worry though, I'll be the fattest guina pig.

EDIT: You could remove the detailed instructions link altogether, redundant at this point :)

Edited by Zerotix, 22 April 2016 - 10:09 PM.

#27 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:19 PM

You can "freeze" a good, stable installation by keeping it on a different profile in MO. When you want to add more mods, just make a copy of your stable installation to use for the additional mods. This is exactly what I do. I have a STEP Extended profile as my stable installation "backup". The profile I play from is called, "Archer", and it was made from just copying the STEP Extended profile and renaming it. This way my stable STEP Extended profile never really gets touched or altered in any way.

I've done the short note. It will take a little while for the main Guide to cycle the change, though.

#28 Zerotix

Zerotix

Prisoner

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:23 PM

Ah, so MO literally preserves everything hah. This is so cool. I'm about to finish the CORE guide, just have the patches left. Can't wait to have a nice, stable Skyrim.

As far as the Dynamic Distant Objects LOD goes: I know some mods require compatibility patches in order to run, but will I have to redo this after installing further mods? Or any of the patches for that matter?

#29 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:26 PM

You only have to redo DynDOLOD if you install a mod that offers new objects that can have LODs (like buildings) or different objects (like trees). Though if you use something different that STEP for the trees, you'll need compatible tree billboards for that mod. Install these different tree billboards after the STEP Compilation.

#30 Kelmych

Kelmych

Dragon King

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:28 PM

MO preserves a lot but not everything. It saves the list of mods, the mod priority order, and the plugin order for each profile. It doesn't save the mod files themself for each profile; this would take a huge amount of space. I have several profiles that use different installation options for a few of the mods (e.g., a STEP Extended profile that uses Skyrim Flora Overhaul basic (1.87) and another profile that uses the most recent version of Skyrim Flora Overhaul (2.5b)). When this happens I save different versions of the installed mod, each with different installed options to use with the associated profile. Each different version has with a different name (e.g., SFO Basic and SFO 2.5b, and two different versions of the DynDOLOD files).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: troubleshooting, skyrim, step, guide, crash

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users