MAPS (by Gamwich)

Sixxness

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Talk like Yoda now, I do.

Off Topic: Why were Episodes 4, 5, and 6 done before 1, 2, and 3? Because in charge of writing, Yoda was.

On Topic: Looks good, but not sure I want to spend the RAM on a texture that shows up a grand total of two times. I'll be debating this one.

On Topic: Looks good, but not sure I want to spend the RAM on a texture that shows up a grand total of two times. I'll be debating this one.

What do you mean by "spend the RAM"? A 1K Optimized version is available.  The size is only 682 KB for each of the two textures, plus 1.33 MB for the normal map.  By comparison, my optimized HRDLC textures and HQ paper are both 1.33MB for each of those three textures, so you're actually saving VRAM over vanilla and HQ Paper.  It only "shows up two times", but Dragonsreach and Palace of the Kings are hardly out-of-the-way locations. (Doesn't it also show up in the Stormcloak and Imperial camps? Could be wrong.)

As to whether it looks better than HQ Paper: I think it does.  The map looks more "old and faded" by comparison, which makes a little more sense to me.

Edited by Harpalus

I swear this map appears far more often than just twice. I think it's only in locations relevant to the main quest a couple of times, but I've seen it in various bandit or forsworn camps. Plus every hold has a 'war room' with a map on it.

Not out of the way places, sorta. Rarely do I ascend the steps up to the loft area of Dragonsreach, and almost never do I go to the side room off of the throne rooms of Windhelm. The locations aren't out of the way, but the specific place IN those locations kinda is. They MIGHT be in war camps - I don't really know because, oddly enough, I don't usually spend more than fifteen seconds IN a war camp. I usually am there only to pick up the next quest in the line, then move on, so the same applies in a way.

From the technical standpoint, Harp may well be right, however. So I'll accept that, in that instance, I MAY have had no clue what I was talking about. Possibly. Maybe. I guess. :)

I think Delphine has a map on her desk in the basement of the Sleeping Giant Inn. This one kinda stands out because she pokes her finger in the general vicinity of Kynesgrove when mentioning the next dragon coming to life.

It appears in Jarl's Halls as well, at least Falkreath. As for Dragonsreach, the Sleeping Giant Inn and Civil War camps; those are all quest related so you're going there eventually. I have sand-boxing followers who idle over the maps while I being fed quest dialog, which draws me to the map & it's definitely one of those textures you appreciate once you're looking at it. Stop & smell the roses Shadriss, or the musty cartography anyway, live a little is what I'm saying. That and Yoda ftw, 'cause that guy is awesome.

I don't buy this claim. I haven't even played much Skyrim (30-40 hours) and I have seen this often throughout my random plays.

Edited by Sixxness

I think Delphine has a map on her desk in the basement of the Sleeping Giant Inn. This one kinda stands out because she pokes her finger in the general vicinity of Kynesgrove when mentioning the next dragon coming to life.

It appears in Jarl's Halls as well, at least Falkreath. As for Dragonsreach, the Sleeping Giant Inn and Civil War camps; those are all quest related so you're going there eventually. I have sand-boxing followers who idle over the maps while I being fed quest dialog, which draws me to the map & it's definitely one of those textures you appreciate once you're looking at it. Stop & smell the roses Shadriss, or the musty cartography anyway, live a little is what I'm saying. That and Yoda ftw, 'cause that guy is awesome.

Not sure that some of these are the same ones as this. To the best of my knowledge, which is admittedly spotty at times, there are two separate map textures. This one is specific to the one that have the little flags on it (using these flags adds those locations to your FT map as well, IIRC). I stand by my original statement so far as how often that one shows up - very infrequently, and in places where I am not normally drawn to. I don't use followers, cause they suck at stealth, and the other locations where this specific one shows up are not in my normal travel routes, as I noted previously.

Let me be clear - I'm not against the look of it at all. But with everything else on my plate, I'm not going to spend additional space on something I'll never normally really notice.

I don't buy this claim. I haven't even played much Skyrim (30-40 hours) and I have seen this often throughout my random plays.

Sixx, I love ya, but you need to read ALL posts before posting like this. I'd already admitted I'd screwed up my original statement - there was no need to have a lagged statement like that. :p

I just looked at this again and I think you're right, but I see four distinct map types. The map on Delphine's desk does look similar to the map with the pins, but the colors are a different. If you go into Dragonreach, you'll see a third map type in in the Mage's quarters that's a lot larger and whiter. Finally, there's a fourth map type right next to the map with pins that doesn't have any lettering.

I think this just goes back to what you were saying originally, Shadriss. We just don't pay much attention to the maps in Skyrim.

Delphine's Desk in Sleeping Giant Inn 

y3mxrJGmrG5_6WYQIx1bGogjRiN86-NJI8lQn_pC

War Map

y3mGR6HuahRuzg47oFCUySV0APNmlVROdf1zGgOU

Map in Mage's Quarters

y3mtz72-dmjH5GwfZVbE6gPV589Az9PSiyyD0Uj4

Small Map next to War Map

y3mZWyET0gB6CbGaVFCV8jhk1d6kmjkeCoukyhvk

FWIW; You can preview the relevant textures in MO's right pane under the data tab, HQ Paper & MAPS both involve battlemap 1 & 2. HQ Paper is cleaner & brighter, MAPS is dirty & weathered, I prefer MAPS.

I do notice the maps in Skyrim, in fact the tabletop in Dragonsreach reminds me (a little bit) of the tabletop in Dragonstone (GoT ftw). Not sure whether the flags or wooden army tokens would be more uncomfortable.

Stuff the maps, how can you lot not say anything about the title? Is Gamwich not feeling well? Not a "Rustic" to behold.

They are very nice maps though.