MAPS (by Gamwich)

Sixxness

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I'm of the opposite opinion. These are maps are used by the "elite" who tell the dirty masses what to do and as susch they will rarely get dirt on their hands, let alone their maps.

I actually prefer the HQ Paper to the others.

• 2 weeks later...

I can see the ones on the tables and such and being handled being a bit dirtier they have people handling them, rubbing, etc and candle smoke. The ones on the wall in say Dragonsreach HQ paper all the way

+1

The main thing I don't like about HQ Paper is the table maps being slightly cut off. This is pretty noticeable in the bottom right corner of the table map compares.

For the wall, I agree that HQ Paper looks nicer. It also makes sense that a wall map would be in much better condition than a table map that is being handled all the time.

I can see the ones on the tables and such and being handled being a bit dirtier they have people handling them, rubbing, etc and candle smoke. The ones on the wall in say Dragonsreach HQ paper all the way

+1

The main thing I don't like about HQ Paper is the table maps being slightly cut off. This is pretty noticeable in the bottom right corner of the table map compares.

For the wall, I agree that HQ Paper looks nicer. It also makes sense that a wall map would be in much better condition than a table map that is being handled all the time.

I actually like this solution as well. 

The HQ Paper wall map is cut off the same as the table map.

I'm actually not bothered by it on the wall map. It adds some variety. By the way, this is not a "cut off". If you look at it closely it's the how the author decided to do that edge. It's just "torn" rather close to the land's edge.

Upon closer inspection, though Gamwich's coloring is dark and needs to be let up on the greens, the artistic style is closer to vanilla than HQ Paper.

Before I get asked what I mean by "greens" I mean the levels:

Original  >>  After tiny tweak to the levels

battlemap01.jpgbattlemap01_New.jpg

All I did as a tiny shift in the green and red levels. It's small but it'll be more noticeable in-game after processing. It could probably use a little more than that and a slight bump to it's contrast...I'm going to stop before I go off making an alternative texture. I have other things to focus on.

Upon closer inspection, though Gamwich's coloring is dark and needs to be let up on the greens, the artistic style is closer to vanilla than HQ Paper.

This.

Well, CMIIW but does Skyrim have 2 kind of texture for maps? Could anybody tell me the difference between those two?

Well, CMIIW but does Skyrim have 2 kind of texture for maps? Could anybody tell me the difference between those two?

Yes and no. The map compares above are of all battlmap01.dds. There is another map, battlemap02.dds, but it is completely different.

If you wanted two different maps, it would take some CK work with a duplicated mesh that points to an alternative texture. Though I said I liked the solution above, it would be a custom one and is for a mod author to provide. It's not something you can do without a mod changing things up for you. It would be a simple mod to do though. :^_^:

Its unrealistic such important documents would be written on cheap quality paper, often maps in history used calfskins and similar methods. Gamwich maps have a more leather look to them, take for instance "paper maps" used in the snow region camps, they wouldn't last long enough to be useful.

Edited by Sixxness