Bash Tags for custom-made patch plugin

baronaatista

Question

Okay so I'm new to this deeper side of modding, still learning how to more fully and properly use the tools.

I have a pretty crazy install (essentially a Dreadflopps install (STEP: Extended + SRLE + SRLE Extended + Dreadflopps packs + my own additions)).

I wanted to add Better Unique Items to this, so I made a patch (I think, lol) in TESVEdit - I loaded all my plugins, expanded BUI, and 'copied as overwrite into' all relevant changes from other plugins - AOS, CCOR/WAF, MLU, SIC/RoTE, Unique Uniques. I think. Pretty sure I got that part right. The mod does contain records for a vanilla NPC, which I why I'm carrying records from SIC/RoTE....

Anyway when I make the bashed patch, it seems to overwrite my plugin completely and only carry forward certain changes... As a matter of fact, while I didn't check all that thoroughly, it seems to only carry forward records from one plugin, and doesn't merge any records, which I found odd.

I'm assuming I need to add Bash Tags? I have some knowledge of what they do (checked Wrye Bash advanced guide/readme) but almost none as to their actual implementation... I also read somewhere that only certain tags work for Skyrim? I would guess to carry forward changes to these weapons/armor - Names, Stats, Invent, possibly some AI tags for the NPC?

Any help, even if just to point to information (other than the Wrye Bash readme) would be greatly appreciated.

5 answers to this question

There is a short section of the FO3 guide that has a general discussion on bash tags that you might find useful (for Skyrim you would use Wrye Bash and TES5Edit vs. the FO3 equivalents) including the use of the Generate Tags for Wrye Bash script you can use with your patch plugin to add automatically bash tags. You will need to use TES5Edit on the bashed patch to see whether all the identified tags are the ones you want. You can use LOOT to automatically sort the plugins including the new patch, or manually put the patch plugin wehre you feel it should be.

Look at the OP in the main Wrye Bash patcher update thread to get the link for the most recent development version of WB 307.x, and install this version. It should handle some additional bash tags.

After this is done run Wrye Bash. If you right click in the bash tag window on the bottom right it will show the bash tags that are available in this version of Wrye Bash. I don't think the WB patcher uses all of these yet; you would have to read the WB forums to see which ones are actually supported. Names, Stats, and Invent certainly are, but I'm not sure the AI tags work. If you used the script mentioned above and highlight your patch mod the tags that the script felt might be relevant will be checked.

Run TES5Edit and look at your patch to see whether the bashed patch has the changes you wanted. If not you might need to load your patch after the bashed patch or create an additional compatibility patch that loads after the bashed patch.

Is that generate bash tags script really working for Skyrim? I remember even on my FNV install from the F&L guide, it seemed like it wasn't consistent in what tags it assigns. In addition, from what I read, it just assigns all available tags, and isn't able to sort what SHOULD be applied vs. what can.

Not at all claiming to have any knowledge here, just remember that I read these things.

I will consult the sources though, and maybe I will try out the script, just to see what happens... Thanks for dropping a line.

The script works for Skyrim as well as Fallout games; it was developed for Skyrim. It adds all tags the plugin supports. I don't know of any automatic way to determine which tags are appropriate; a manual TES5Edit review with all plugins active is needed to determine which tags should not be used. I've used it a lot for Fallout plugins, and I have only had to remove a few tags that it added.

Yeah, I did a bunch of reading - that patcher update thread here, and on the Bethesda forums, is pretty interesting.  The whole thing makes me really question what's going on in my bashed patch, and that I probably need to review it in-depth post-creation.

I'm going to d/l the 307 WB and use the script, then review, as you suggested... just toggling my LO right now, finishing up this massive install and I may need to edit the patch I made earlier at the end.

Again, thanks for the advice!

Just finished up - the new version of WB actually just merged my patch mod right into it, carries forward all the proper records... Tried out the generate bash tags script, but it threw up an error in TESVEdit, so I added the tags manually that I thought might be appropriate from the list of available tags on the patcher update thread - I suppose a moot point though.  Many thanks Kelmych!