Super slow and clumsy wiki around 5:00pm CET

Kesta

Question

I know Darth matthias also mentioned this one day, but there is a moment of th day, every day, when the wiki is ridiculously slow. The slowdown isn't that much of an issue, except that you need 3 minutes to load a page.

However, trying to have changes accounted for on a page at this moment is a real struggle. Needless to say that this is usually  the time when I go back home and update a few pages while eating kellogs before actually playing... ^^

Any idea what could be causing this, and if you can solve it on your end ?

13 answers to this question

yes it happens at around 5pm GMT been going on for awhile now wikis get ridiculously slow but forums do not. Personally I think it could be heavy traffic caused by our American cousins when they wake up and come online.

Edited by Darth_mathias

I don't know what causes it, but I experience it was well. This actually happens throughout the day sometimes. It could be a combination of heavy traffic and the wiki refreshing itself, which it does every so often. It makes working on the wiki a rather annoy process sometimes. I've been on it all morning doing some work.

It is likely the daily backup or other daily routine that is causing the slowdown (5 GMT = about Midnight US time).

I will ask s4n to maybe run the maintenance stuff a few hours later ... not sure if this is the issue or not though right now.

It is likely the daily backup or other daily routine that is causing the slowdown (5 GMT = about Midnight US time).

I will ask s4n to maybe run the maintenance stuff a few hours later ... not sure if this is the issue or not though right now.

personally I find more an slight annoyance then a major issue cause for me a least my wife usually get home from work at 5pm which mean i have to stop what I am doing anyway.

Edited by Darth_mathias

The thing is, I sometimes experience it throughout the day. When I'm off that day and working on the wiki for the day, I'll notice it at various times. Usually always happens between 11am and noon CST. The wiki becomes so unresponsive that I'll get 504 errors for 10 to 20 minutes before it returns to normal. I noticed this today, as well, before I left for work. Time out errors is telling me it's CPU load on the server.

The rest if the internet works as expected during these time frames so it'll not my ISP, either.

Thanks  :unworthy: We'll see of this work :P

It wasn't the latency the main offender. The day I posted the thread, The whole wiki kept gaving me 504 errors for more than two hours ^^ (thankfully, it don't do that everyday, but this time was really awful).

I haven't been wikiing as much as the week when I posted the OP since then, but the few times I've edited the wiki during the "hours of doom" I didn't experience the crazy lag I used too, so it's looking good. Probably going to wiki a lot those next 3 days (long weekend  :celebration: ), so I will hopefully confirm this soon :)