Prepare your wallets - GTX 1080 incoming

Audley

Interesting, NVidia seems to have remedied it's lack of async compute capabilities, finally bringing it's shader architecture up to date. This card's architecture should remain relevant longer then it's predecessors. AotS (true parallel dx12) benchmarks are still not impressive for a next gen card though (this has nothing to do with vendor preference, AotS just uses what next gen APIs can do, it's a glimpse in the future).

This thing is a bomb for neuronal compute! Also, the lack of physically correct sound is a major problem for VR.

Polaris won't be a bomb either though, but it will probably be the faster card again.

[edit]

Sorry, I fell for the marketing. Apparently the 1080 still doesn't support async compute on a hardware level, which explains the mediocre Ashes of the Singularity benchmarks (even though it is probably highly driver optimized).

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/05/nvidia-gtx-1080-review/2/

This might become a performance problem for future releases as games start to use the more advanced features of compute shaders.

Edited by Spock

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX card - initial review. After running some initial tests yesterday I couldn't be more happy.

Witcher 3 - 1440p everything maxed out (including 8 x AA on hairworks) - didn't drop below 75 FPS. Worth noting I have only ran around Kaer Morhen, as I have lost all my saves some time ago...

Elite Dangerous - full 4K maxed out, didn't drop below 80 FPS all over apart from planetary bases, where it kept above 65 FPS.

GTA V - all maxed out, including advancd graphic settings and with 4xAA (where 8 is max) in 1440p it kept above 60 FPS at all times, but my CPU is bottlenecking here and the extended visibility didn't work that well, because stuff was popping in (that's just CPU not coping).

All the other games I tested were eaten for breakfast by this monster of a card. 

Worth to mention that I only sport 650 W PSU and it didn't have any problems even when running stress tests of Unigine Heaven (on Ultra settings with everything enabled and 4xAA) and 3D Mark Ultra Stress test. 

The fans are slightly audible when run above 60-65%, but that happens very rarely and 90% of time is not an issue, as below those values they are basicalyl inaudible. One small issue I came across is that the card was set to turn off the fans when below certain temp (customisable) and the fans were triggering every few seconds, then stopping. Fixed it by manually setting them to fixed RPM and then re-enabling the automatic mode - they remained turned off until needed and are working perfectly fine since then.

ASUS GPU Tweak 2 OC software is the program I use to control the card, but I didn't try overclocking yet (no need to be honest). 

The obvious downside is the price, but that's no surprise... (I was saving for hapf a year for this card! :D ).

One happy gamer here, if you have spare funds - go and get it, I can't recommend it enough! 

.eJwNxVkOgyAQANC7cABmkdXLNAQJarQQmH41vXt