Greatsword Sheaths and Scabbards Redux (by rpsgc, MadCat221)

rpsgc

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is his edit incorrect? Funny how I was just installing this, and it was edited. Which is the correct option to follow the guide? Also the full sized sheath's for the mod are not loading for me. It keeps the default sheath mesh and obviously the textures are not installed for that mesh so I just see a bright purple strap. Any ideas?

You should not be able to edit some of those aspects on the mod pages. Please do not make changes without asking first.

Got it.

No, you should not use the Skyforge Steel option, because we use Better Shaped Weapons for them.

Ohhh. Now I get it. Excuse my mistake. I am not using BSW and therefore, looking at the conflicts between this mod and aMB BoS it seemed like an error in the guide. Thanks.

In general I feel S.T.E.P. lacks explanations, especially on the recommendations. It rarely tells you why or why not to use the options specified, even when it often has an easy logical explanation. Perhaps this is intentional as to keep it simple and minimal, but I think an extra sentence here and there would improve the guide.

Edited by TorNyan

I think that is why we have the threads. This info was in the thread. I think the point of a guide is to guide you to setting it up a specific way. The threads gives you the background (mostly--there might be a few things that were solved elsewhere and didn't get on the mod thread).

I think that is why we have the threads. This info was in the thread. I think the point of a guide is to guide you to setting it up a specific way. The threads gives you the background (mostly--there might be a few things that were solved elsewhere and didn't get on the mod thread).

Yes. However I think that some users, including myself, will ignore some recommendations if they do not understand them. Perhaps they research it here in the forum threads, which consumes time, or perhaps they do not. And as you said, not always will they find an answer in the thread either.

EDIT: Or why to hide some files. One such example for me is Tobe's Hi-Res Textures. It's not motivated.

Edited by TorNyan

Most users don't care about the why's. The Guide is simple in the way DY stated, you install it and done. Those that want to know the why's can research further, but to keep the Guide simple and neat this information is kept in the threads. That's why there are links provides to the forums and other sources from the mod pages.

• 4 weeks later...

Is his edit incorrect? Funny how I was just installing this, and it was edited. Which is the correct option to follow the guide? Also the full sized sheath's for the mod are not loading for me. It keeps the default sheath mesh and obviously the textures are not installed for that mesh so I just see a bright purple strap. Any ideas?

Since I have that ugly purple on my screen right now, too - did you ever manage to fix it?

EDIT: I don't know what to say. MO 1.3.8 totally fails to install this (version 2.7.1 - the only one Nexus) correctly for me, tried another time to no avail.

It does not install the fullsize meshes, and does not install any textures at all with the FOMod version.

Here's what I did to fix it: I opened the mod 4x (four times, really) in manual mode.

First, I chose "05 Fullsize" as data directory, and on the next runs "06 Fullsize DG", "07 Fullsize DB" and "08 Fullsize Textures" respectively and merged those.

Now I think it looks the way it should :)

Edited by Charlie86

• 1 month later...

The readme of the "fixed FOMOD version" of this mod states:

Folders '00' contain the short sheath textures (Basic = shared basic texture; Default = custom textures);

Folders '01' contain the short sheath meshes for the base game's weapons (Thin = thinner meshes from madcat's "De-LARP-ification Project" mod; Vanilla = vanilla style paddlesâ„¢);
Folders '02' contain the short sheath meshes for Dawnguard weapons (Thin = thinner meshes from madcat's "De-LARP-ification Project" mod; Vanilla = vanilla style paddlesâ„¢);
Folders '03' contain the short sheath meshes for Dragonborn weapons (Thin = thinner meshes from madcat's "De-LARP-ification Project" mod; Vanilla = vanilla style paddlesâ„¢);
Folders '04' contain the full-size scabbard meshes for the base game's weapons (Thin = thinner meshes from madcat's "De-LARP-ification Project" mod; Vanilla = vanilla style paddlesâ„¢);
Folders '05' contain the full-size scabbard meshes for Dawnguard weapons (Thin = thinner meshes from madcat's "De-LARP-ification Project" mod; Vanilla = vanilla style paddlesâ„¢);
Folders '06' contain the full-size scabbard meshes for Dragonborn weapons (Thin = thinner meshes from madcat's "De-LARP-ification Project" mod; Vanilla = vanilla style paddlesâ„¢);
Folders '07' contain the meshes for the Skyforge Steel greatsword (ONLY if using CaBaL120's "Book of Silence");
Folder '08' contains the full-size scabbard textures.

So I think manual installation according to the STEP guide could be like:

1. Move the folder "meshes" out of "04 Meshes Fullsize Vanilla" to → "08 Fullsize Textures/".
  2. Move the folder "dlc01" out of "05 Meshes Fullsize DG Vanilla/" to → "08 Fullsize Textures/meshes/".
  3. Move the folder "dlc02" out of "06 Meshes Fullsize DB Vanilla/" to → "08 Fullsize Textures/meshes/".
  4. Set folder "08 Fullsize Textures" as data directory.

I chose "Greatsword Sheaths and Scabbards Redux — Fixed the FOMOD installer (hopefully)" instead of the recommended "… NMM Installer" because the folders are named much more descriptive compared to the NMM version, with the prefixes like "Textures" and "Meshes" and all.

ScreenShot%20082%20Install%20Mods.png ScreenShot%20083%20Install%20Mods.png

Animated it looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3kLi2CXYyA

PLEASE, correct me if I screwed this up.

Edited by dx1

• 1 month later...

Since I have that ugly purple on my screen right now, too - did you ever manage to fix it?

EDIT: I don't know what to say. MO 1.3.8 totally fails to install this (version 2.7.1 - the only one Nexus) correctly for me, tried another time to no avail.

It does not install the fullsize meshes, and does not install any textures at all with the FOMod version.

Here's what I did to fix it: I opened the mod 4x (four times, really) in manual mode.

First, I chose "05 Fullsize" as data directory, and on the next runs "06 Fullsize DG", "07 Fullsize DB" and "08 Fullsize Textures" respectively and merged those.

Now I think it looks the way it should :)

I did get it working. I pretty much reinstalled it using the mods FOMOD installer rather than using the FOMOD plugin for MO. I lost my install for my mods awhile back, so I'm reinstalling everything right now. There is a new fixed FOMOD version on the Nexus so I'm seeing if that one installs correctly using the plugin. Fingers crossed.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

FYI, there is a beta version that apparently fixes possible issues with normal maps (2.7.4b, under "Updates").

There is also a version 1.0 for one-handed swords now under "Miscellaneous" (13 October 2016).

EDIT : I looked in the "Posts" section of the Nexus page for additional informations and I found this :

rpsgc

aaaazzzzqqqq wrote: Hello, I really like the scabbard for the silver greatsword (the vanilla brown leather scabbard for the silver sword is indescribably ugly). I just want to know if it's possible to get the same scabbard to the one-handed version of the silver sword?

I uploaded an old version of the mod for one handed swords. It's under Miscellaneous files, try it out. No installer, though, sorry.

So I don't know if this is relevant, maybe you guys don't want it for one-handed swords... (I could try if you don't already know)

• 1 year later...