Merge Plugins dies loading skyrim.esm

Abrown1301

Question

I am having trouble getting Merge Plugins to run through MO. I can get into it if I disable all plugins, and was able to set the correct path files in the Integrations tab, redownloaded the CK and went hunting for the missing papyrus flags file. I downloaded and correctly integrated Champollion, Papyrus Compiler, and BSA opt. Chose 'handle script fragments'. Read the documentation. But every time I choose plugins to load (starting simple with eye mesh mods that have no dependencies upon them), MP gets stuck endlessly loading skyrim.esm. 

Things I've tried so far:

• created exceptions for mergeplugins.exe and modorganizer.exe in my antivirus (ESET Smart Security). 
  • temporarily disabled ESET
  • checked ownership of files: already owned
  • disabled UAC: already disabled
  • set Merge Plugins and MO to run as administrator
  • Unset read only of MP, MO, Skyrim Data folders

Other things to note: none of the above are installed into a programs file folder. I've also let it run for upwards of an hour (honestly, I forgot it was doing its thing), so this isn't an impatience issue. I am using Windows 10. I am also at the very limits of my skills here, and I'm at a loss as to what to try next. 

10 answers to this question

I am having trouble getting Merge Plugins to run through MO. I can get into it if I disable all plugins, and was able to set the correct path files in the Integrations tab, redownloaded the CK and went hunting for the missing papyrus flags file. I downloaded and correctly integrated Champollion, Papyrus Compiler, and BSA opt. Chose 'handle script fragments'. Read the documentation. But every time I choose plugins to load (starting simple with eye mesh mods that have no dependencies upon them), MP gets stuck endlessly loading skyrim.esm. 

Things I've tried so far:

• created exceptions for mergeplugins.exe and modorganizer.exe in my antivirus (ESET Smart Security). 
  • temporarily disabled ESET
  • checked ownership of files: already owned
  • disabled UAC: already disabled
  • set Merge Plugins and MO to run as administrator
  • Unset read only of MP, MO, Skyrim Data folders

Other things to note: none of the above are installed into a programs file folder. I've also let it run for upwards of an hour (honestly, I forgot it was doing its thing), so this isn't an impatience issue. I am using Windows 10. I am also at the very limits of my skills here, and I'm at a loss as to what to try next. 

Hello. I'm sorry to report the same problem.  :blush:

Open an explorer window and clear the contents of MO's 'logs' folder.

Next start MO and try to initiate MergePlugins with all the mods you have for the active profile.

Close down both MP & MO.

Post the contents of that folder here, either in "spoiler" tags, by using Pastebin or similar or by zipping them and posting the link.

This will allow us to see where the "hooking" process is possibly failing in these instances.

Open an explorer window and clear the contents of MO's 'logs' folder.

Next start MO and try to initiate MergePlugins with all the mods you have for the active profile.

Close down both MP & MO.

Post the contents of that folder here, either in "spoiler" tags, by using Pastebin or similar or by zipping them and posting the link.

This will allow us to see where the "hooking" process is possibly failing in these instances.

Thanks so much for your reply.

I hope this is right:

https://pastebin.com/g56g6w4t

I closed Merge Plugins down with Task Manager, but I can let it run longer if that would give a better log.

Thanks again.

Your logs show no issue with MO hindering MP from working, everything that should be indexed and loaded, as far as MO is concerned, is doing so.

Create a new profile in MO and select only the vanilla mods, nothing extra. Start MP and see if will load the bare minimum. If it does so check the 'Logs' tab in MP and note any odd entries. This is what a vanilla load will look like:

[spoiler=Merge Plugins log]

[10:44:56] (GENERAL) Status: ProgramVersion: 2.1.3.0
[10:44:56] (GENERAL) Status: TES5 Dictionary Hash: $A914C1B0
[10:44:56] (GENERAL) Game: Using Skyrim
[10:44:56] (GENERAL) Path: Using d:\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\
[10:44:56] (GENERAL) Dictionary: Using TES5Dictionary.txt
[10:44:56] (GENERAL) Definitions: Using TES5Edit Definitions
[10:44:56] (GENERAL) Load Order: Using D:\Games\ModOrganizer\TES5\profiles\Default\
[10:45:20] (CLIENT) Status: Attempting to connect to mergeplugins.us.to:960
[10:45:20] (LOAD) Background: [update.esm] Building reference info.
[10:45:21] (LOAD) Background: [Dawnguard.esm] Building reference info.
[10:45:21] (CLIENT) Status: Connection successful!
[10:45:21] (CLIENT) Login: Checking if authenticated as "GrantSP"
[10:45:21] (CLIENT) Response: Yes
[10:45:21] (CLIENT) Update: Getting update status
[10:45:25] (LOAD) Background: [HearthFires.esm] Building reference info.
[10:45:27] (LOAD) Background: [Dragonborn.esm] Building reference info.
[10:45:36] (LOAD) Background: finished

Your logs show no issue with MO hindering MP from working, everything that should be indexed and loaded, as far as MO is concerned, is doing so.

Create a new profile in MO and select only the vanilla mods, nothing extra. Start MP and see if will load the bare minimum. If it does so check the 'Logs' tab in MP and note any odd entries. This is what a vanilla load will look like:

[spoiler=Merge Plugins log]

[10:44:56] (GENERAL) Status: ProgramVersion: 2.1.3.0

[10:44:56] (GENERAL) Status: TES5 Dictionary Hash: $A914C1B0

[10:44:56] (GENERAL) Game: Using Skyrim

[10:44:56] (GENERAL) Path: Using d:\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\

[10:44:56] (GENERAL) Dictionary: Using TES5Dictionary.txt

[10:44:56] (GENERAL) Definitions: Using TES5Edit Definitions

[10:44:56] (GENERAL) Load Order: Using D:\Games\ModOrganizer\TES5\profiles\Default\

[10:45:20] (CLIENT) Status: Attempting to connect to mergeplugins.us.to:960

[10:45:20] (LOAD) Background: [update.esm] Building reference info.

[10:45:21] (LOAD) Background: [Dawnguard.esm] Building reference info.

[10:45:21] (CLIENT) Status: Connection successful!

[10:45:21] (CLIENT) Login: Checking if authenticated as "GrantSP"

[10:45:21] (CLIENT) Response: Yes

[10:45:21] (CLIENT) Update: Getting update status

[10:45:25] (LOAD) Background: [HearthFires.esm] Building reference info.

[10:45:27] (LOAD) Background: [Dragonborn.esm] Building reference info.

[10:45:36] (LOAD) Background: finished

Hi again GrantSP,

I created a new MO profile called "Merge Plugins Test". I made sure only the vanilla plugins were selected in the right-hand side plugin pane of MO. I ordered these Skyrim.esm, Update.esm, Dawnguard.esm, HearthFires.esm, Dragonborn.esm

Then I ran Merge Plugins through that MO test profile and selected only the plugins above (leaving the High-Res Textures unchecked). The MP splash screen was still appearing to load Skyrim.esm indefinitely.

So I closed Merge Plugins with Task Manager.

I'm guessing I needed MP to get past that splash screen to access the Logs tab, but here's the vanilla attempt from the MO Log in case it helps...

https://pastebin.com/G7MK2MuL

I don't know if it's relevant - but these lines at the end were a full three minutes before I ended Merge Plugins with Task Manager...

INFO (09:04:30.0896): Windows Exception (c0000005). Origin: "unknown" (0). Last hooked call: void *__stdcall CreateFileW_rep(const wchar_t *,unsigned long,unsigned long,struct _SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES *,unsigned long,unsigned long,void *)
INFO (09:04:30.0896): Windows Exception (c0000005). Origin: "C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim\MergePlugins.exe" (406f80). Last hooked call: void *__stdcall CreateFileW_rep(const wchar_t *,unsigned long,unsigned long,struct _SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES *,unsigned long,unsigned long,void *)

Run MP from outside MO and see if it gets past the Skyrim.esm loading message. If so we will need some input from @Mator as to what is happening. Those windows exception messages are just INFO messages, not errors, so they shouldn't have a bearing on this issue. I regularly get them occurring and my game suffers no issue.

Run MP from outside MO and see if it gets past the Skyrim.esm loading message. If so we will need some input from @Mator as to what is happening. Those windows exception messages are just INFO messages, not errors, so they shouldn't have a bearing on this issue. I regularly get them occurring and my game suffers no issue.

Well... my problem is solved and (predictably) was totally my fault.

So it didn't work outside of Mod Organizer either. I tried installing an older version of MP and it worked fine. Re-installed the current version in a different folder and it works fine both inside and outside of MO.

I'm now sure I messed up the initial installation because when I first ran MP, it prompted me to create a "lang" folder and gave me a webpage to save as an English.lang file. I guessed that was normal, but I'm pretty sure I somehow only extracted the .exe.

Really sorry for the headache, I should have cottoned on sooner. And thank you for your help and patience.