VATS projectiles glitches

EvilMax

Question

Hi, All!

Dear community, I would like to ask a question about projectile animation problems. It is strange thing: for some weapons in VATS I see projectile is starting not from a barrrel, but somewhere from PC head or PC eye. For some other weapons in VATS I even see projectile launched somewhere from behind of PC's head (for example very noticeable with .44 magnum(SI)). It is quite annoying and even a bit spoiled great impression of guide's FO3 install (BTW, thank you for the great guide, devs!). At the same time for some other weapons it is OK (or hidden by weapon model?).

This glitch is visible in VATS only (because projectile is animated?). In normal mode everything looks OK for every weapon.

Question: What affects starting posintion of projectile in VATS?

P.S. I saw this before, for example on old FOOK installs, but here there is more weapons affected. So I am thinking about solving this, but don't know where to look.

Edited by EvilMax

9 answers to this question

Glitch is present in VATS only. In 3rd person view everything is OK.

Added:

Problem is in large tracer and one fact. It seems that VATS mode completely ignores tracer chance, so tracers in VATS are always visible. The only way to disable/reduce tracers in VATS is projectile mesh editing. Fixed my issue by scaling tracer to 20% of original size. It is quite primitive because scaling affects all 3 axes and tracer is not only shorter but thinner too. I have not enough Blender experience: NiNode structure was broken on NifScript import-export operations and I was not able to make tracer just shorter. Anyway, it works and now I have no tracers from behind of my PC using .44 magnum. Tracer itself is a bit noticeable during VATS. Idea was taken from 'Smaller tracers' mod from Nexus.

Edited by EvilMax

Well, I would like to add it, for example, to your STEP guide. But before I have to edit all xCalibr and 20th century weapons projectiles. Issue seems to be present in more than one mesh and it is quite time consuming to test every projectile: one doing this requires to shoot in VATS several times and see his shot from camera postion somewhat upper and behind PC. Maybe it is not issue, but VAS feature :)

So it looks like more appropriate solution will be providing reduced versions of tracers for all projectiles. In other words, existing xCalibr Nexus mod requires update to newest xCalibr and for other mods it is required to create reduced tracers version. When I am done with it I'll post link here in thread.

Thanks for doing this. When it's finished you might want to look into posting on Nexus . I noticed that Earache42 is intermittently active there.  By the way, what is the more recent version of eXcalibr.; I though the one in the guide was the most recent.  If there is one that is more recent it should also be added to the guide.

The guide doesn't include the xCalibr Universe mod. Earache42 pulled it off Nexus years ago since one of the forum users became particularly abusive. It's still available on Moddb but that version isn't very easy to get and setup.

"No tracers patch for xCalibr" exists on Nexus for xCalibr v2.2 only. Current version of xCalibr is 2.3.  "Smaller tracers" existing on Nexus is for Vanilla. Actually I was thinking about what version of tracers to provide. For example, "Smaller tracers" provides a lot of verions of scaled tracers: from 10% scale to 90%. I doubt we need such variety. Especially w3hen glitch is still visible at 40%.

So I'm thinking about making two versions: 20% tracer and no tracer.