Wiki Editors: To do List

TechAngel85

Question

I'm creating this page for the Wiki Editors. We needed a place to compile a list of changes to be made, content to be created, to-dos, updates, etc. I'll update the OP as suggestions are posted, work is in progress, and items are completed.

Needs to be Updated:

• Troubleshooting Guide (Needs to be updated with new advice and old advice that is no longer applies needs to be taken out)
  • Wrye Bash Guide (see the list below)
    • Use the Official ReadMe as a reference
    • Add Color Codes for each tab on Wrye Bash
    • Add in how to create Wizards
    • Needs some less technical information for those users that just want a "quick start" to get up and running
  • xEdit Guide (needs to be completed)
    • How to remove masters from plugins

New Content Suggestions:

• Mod Reviews (place these on the appropriate forum thread please... not the wiki)
  • TES Lore
  • Texture Creation
  • Mesh Improvement
  • Python Scripting
  • NVIDIA Control Panel Guide

Work Completed:

Use custom editing space: (admin...please correct if wrong)
In most cases, it is totally OK to update a live page; however, it can be beneficial if you are working on new content or are completely re-working existing content to do so in your own userspace until the changes or content is ready to be committed to the live wiki. This will keep the STEP users that may be currently using the content from seeing constant changes and may just save them their sanity. ;)

To do this, use the namespace User followed by your username/page. Remember, page names are case sensitive.

For example:
        https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Username/Sandbox
        (clicking will create a "sandbox" page for you to edit on)

• Answers 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I just finised the wiki guide for AMD i just can't edit anything i can't log in to wiki

Your primary group wasn't "Registered" which is why you couldn't log-in. You should be good to go now.
I always set up the primary as "Registered" and use the "Additional User Groups" to hold extras beyond that. I also use the latter for "Display Group". Admin is the exception though (i.e., we each should have only admin as primary with nothing else defined).

The SIG should be pretty much done' date=' that one got a hell of a makeover. The Troubleshooting guide could use a lot more clean up and personally I think each tab (aside from any ToC/introduction tab) should act more-or-less independently to solve one issue. Last time I looked, there were quite a few notes that were out of date and there is definitely some newer advice missing, although I can't remember any of them...

Agree with that; however, it may be even better to use a "Solutions" tab to hold a list of links to subpages of the TG, as too many tabs can be difficult to scan. In fact, we could eventually have a form-based query of the subpages based on user input, no?

The TG should articulate neatly with the Support forum (links to/from each the other). 

The SIG should be pretty much done' date=' that one got a hell of a makeover. The Troubleshooting guide could use a lot more clean up and personally I think each tab (aside from any ToC/introduction tab) should act more-or-less independently to solve one issue. Last time I looked, there were quite a few notes that were out of date and there is definitely some newer advice missing, although I can't remember any of them...

Agree with that; however, it may be even better to use a "Solutions" tab to hold a list of links to subpages of the TG, as too many tabs can be difficult to scan. In fact, we could eventually have a form-based query of the subpages based on user input, no?

The TG should articulate neatly with the Support forum (links to/from each the other). 

The "Solutions" tab is what I meant by some table of contents/intro tab, so we're on the same page :P 

I don't think we can query the headers directly, but we can make them assign themselves to a dummy property and then query based on that.  Perhaps the theoretical FAQ should be a tab on this page as well.  We really need to start making that.

RE the query: Yep, speaking of the effect rather than the means

RE the FAQ: at least the information should be mostly consolidated due to the forum layout, and tech has been reading that thread and tagging as [sOLVED] where applicable. That will make the task simpler

In relation to the Troubleshooting guide and setting up queries (and having only one solution per tab), I don't think headertabs is the way to go. Mainly because reducing to one tab per issue will eventually cause a high number of tabs to exist and that isn't a very good solution for scanning.

I believe a sub-page hierarchy would be better. Mainly because even if you have one issue limited to a single sub-page, that page may still end up having a lot of information. Using sub-pages then allows you to link directly to headers, which you can't do with headertabs. Sub-pages can also be queryed without the need for a property to act as glue.

At least, this is based on my understanding of what you guys are wanting to do. If I'm off based, or not making sense, let me know.

In relation to the Troubleshooting guide and setting up queries (and having only one solution per tab), I don't think headertabs is the way to go. Mainly because reducing to one tab per issue will eventually cause a high number of tabs to exist and that isn't a very good solution for scanning.

I believe a sub-page hierarchy would be better. Mainly because even if you have one issue limited to a single sub-page, that page may still end up having a lot of information. Using sub-pages then allows you to link directly to headers, which you can't do with headertabs. Sub-pages can also be queryed without the need for a property to act as glue.

At least, this is based on my understanding of what you guys are wanting to do. If I'm off based, or not making sense, let me know.

Yep, I believe we have just found a way to state the same thing in three different ways (this is probably the most explicit)

That totally makes sense, I guess it depends on how much info we eventually get out there.  Brainstorming the FAQ will likely help us figure out how many subcategories we have and how many pages we'll need.

I'll just put another note here about the Troubleshooting Guide, which must be overhauled completely to meet our current knowledge.

Therefore I'ld like to ask all the forum moderators to look through the old threads in the support forum and mark those as solved if they were solved. I will start going through the solved threads and see whether this was an issue common enough to find it's place in the troubleshooting guide.

I'll just put another note here about the Troubleshooting Guide, which must be overhauled completely to meet our current knowledge.

Therefore I'ld like to ask all the forum moderators to look through the old threads in the support forum and mark those as solved if they were solved. I will start going through the solved threads and see whether this was an issue common enough to find it's place in the troubleshooting guide.

I did this a while back and had that forum updated up to about the end of February. My current internet situation is anything but ideal right now. I'm running off of satellite internet at home (2Mb/s down...very high ping) which is severely hindering my moderating abilities. This should change in a few months but for now I'll only be available for a few hours a day on a really slow connection. Currently, I'm sitting up at the local community college and using their internet (73Mb/s down) and I'll try to do this as much as possible. However, keeping up with everything like I did in the past is going to be impossible for me for a few months.

One thing I noticed around the wiki is a lot of dead forum links. For example there is a link maintaining and creating new supporting content, which I am assuming is meant to link to the Wiki editors to-do list? Is there any easy way to find where these links were meant to point, or is a matter of just updating the link to whatever seems the best match?

It's just a matter of knowing where the links pointed to and updating them manually as they're found. These dead links were a result of changing forum software a while back. We handled most of the links in the main Guides on the Wiki; however, I'm sure there are some that remain broken due to the content not being used very much.

If you or any user finds broken links either...

• fix the link if you know where it's pointing and how to fix it or...
  • report the link here or in the wiki support forum and the staff will fix it (post a link to the wiki page with the broken link on it)