Creating a Bashed Patch

sooooooo Kelmych,

first of all.. amazing job putting all this together. I could not have done that. Cudos!

There have been some places though where I almost grew hairless. This has mainly been with some inconsistencies in the descriptions of what to do. Word flow if you will, describing actions you don't have to do now, but return to when doing a much later step. Also several places it seems as if redundant or leftover text from previous renditions have not been removed or changed... It's been a bit of a trial and error for (granted, I'm pretty anal when it comes to following guides, and I expect them to be short, precise and only able to be understood one way).

No matter though.. I've come (safely?) through it and are almost done, thinking to myself, that I might finally be able to start playing...

That was until I saw this monstrosity:

Creating a Bashed Patch

To create a bashed patch first go to the directory where MO is installed and open the mod folder. Create a new mod folder with the folder name using "Bashed Patch," followed by the current profile name (e.g., Bashed Patch, Clear and Present Danger"). Now copy the Bashed Patch, 0.esp from the Fallout 3 goty\Mopy\templates\ folder to the folder that was just created in MO's mods folder. Start Mod Organizer, activate the new mod containing the blank bashed patch in the left pane of MO. Make sure that in the right pane that Bashed Patch, 0.esp is at the bottom of the right pane of MO. Now run Wrye Flash through Mod Organizer. In all the Bethesda RPG games prior to Skyrim, date/time was used for ordering mods. That's why you see the relative old times on plugins even for recent plugins. The "need to reset times" dialog box in Wrye Flash will often show up when starting Wrye Bash. Locking times means no that load order sorting is allowed; this is included in Wrye Flash for use when Wrye Flash is also the mod manager. Wrye Flash and LOOT need to change times to sort the plugins, so Lock Times should be disabled in Wrye Flash. This is discussed in more detail in the Load Order section of the Wrye Bash General Readme. If there are any plugins that don't have the desired bash tags, select the plugin then right click in the lower right Bash Tags window and check or uncheck the tags until the tags are correct. As previously mentioned, Wrye Flash will automatically import bash tag data from several locations but the LOOT masterlist is not currently one of these locations. A new page of bash tags will be added soon, or a line will be added to the mods, that can be used with xEdit to add the proper bash tags to plugin headers. Wrye Flash can indicate that the masters for a particular mod are not ordered properly. This happens fairly often, but can be fixed fairly easily. First, note which plugins have this problem. Once a good plugin order has been determined, load the plugins into xEdit. For each plugin that has misordered masters: highlight the plugin iin xEdit right click to plugin and select Sort Masters When this has been done for all the mods with misordered masters, close xEdit and accept the changes. To create a bashed patch, when Wrye Flash is started right click "Bashed Patch,0.esp" and select Rebuild Patch. If there is a pop-up that saying certain mods will be disabled because they are mergeable, click [Yes]. If not, disregard. In the Bashed Patch menu in the left pane it is recommended that ALL boxes are checked except the following:
To create a bashed patch first go to the directory where MO is installed and open the mod folder. Create a new mod folder with the folder name using "Bashed Patch," followed by the current profile name (e.g., Bashed Patch, Clear and Present Danger"). Now copy the Bashed Patch, 0.esp from the Fallout 3 goty\Mopy\templates\ folder to the folder that was just created in MO's mods folder. Start Mod Organizer, activate the new mod containing the blank bashed patch in the left pane of MO. Make sure that in the right pane that Bashed Patch, 0.esp is at the bottom of the right pane of MO. Now run Wrye Flash through Mod Organizer. In all the Bethesda RPG games prior to Skyrim, date/time was used for ordering mods. That's why you see the relative old times on plugins even for recent plugins. The "need to reset times" dialog box in Wrye Flash will often show up when starting Wrye Bash. Locking times means no that load order sorting is allowed; this is included in Wrye Flash for use when Wrye Flash is also the mod manager. Wrye Flash and LOOT need to change times to sort the plugins, so Lock Times should be disabled in Wrye Flash. This is discussed in more detail in the Load Order section of the Wrye Bash General Readme. If there are any plugins that don't have the desired bash tags, select the plugin then right click in the lower right Bash Tags window and check or uncheck the tags until the tags are correct. As previously mentioned, Wrye Flash will automatically import bash tag data from several locations but the LOOT masterlist is not currently one of these locations. A new page of bash tags will be added soon, or a line will be added to the mods, that can be used with xEdit to add the proper bash tags to plugin headers. Wrye Flash can indicate that the masters for a particular mod are not ordered properly. This happens fairly often, but can be fixed fairly easily. First, note which plugins have this problem. Once a good plugin order has been determined, load the plugins into xEdit. For each plugin that has misordered masters: highlight the plugin in xEdit right click to plugin and select Sort Masters When this has been done for all the mods with misordered masters, close xEdit and accept the changes. To create a bashed patch, when Wrye Flash is started right click "Bashed Patch,0.esp" and select Rebuild Patch. If there is a pop-up that saying certain mods will be disabled because they are mergeable, click [Yes]. If not, disregard. In the Bashed Patch menu in the left pane it is recommended that ALL boxes are checked except the following:

What in all the hells is this? :)

Okay.. I'll take this step by step so you can see how an outsider thinks when trying to follow this.

To create a bashed patch first go to the directory where MO is installed and open the mod folder. Create a new mod folder with the folder name using "Bashed Patch," followed by the current profile name (e.g., Bashed Patch, Clear and Present Danger"). Now copy the Bashed Patch, 0.esp from the Fallout 3 goty\Mopy\templates\ folder to the folder that was just created in MO's mods folder.

Okay.. not too hard to follow. Just a bit strange to do it like this when I'm used to just right-click and choose "Build Patch" in Wrye Bash.. but I guess Wrye Flash is different.

Now run Wrye Flash through Mod Organizer. In all the Bethesda RPG games prior to Skyrim, date/time was used for ordering mods. That's why you see the relative old times on plugins even for recent plugins. The "need to reset times" dialog box in Wrye Flash will often show up when starting Wrye Bash. Locking times means no that load order sorting is allowed; this is included in Wrye Flash for use when Wrye Flash is also the mod manager. Wrye Flash and LOOT need to change times to sort the plugins, so Lock Times should be disabled in Wrye Flash. This is discussed in more detail in the Load Order section of the Wrye Bash General Readme.

Huh? why is this important? I've just ran LOOT, why do I have to think about load order again? (on a second note.. load order by time? Wrye Flash sure was/is old :P)

If there are any plugins that don't have the desired bash tags, select the plugin then right click in the lower right Bash Tags window and check or uncheck the tags until the tags are correct. As previously mentioned, Wrye Flash will automatically import bash tag data from several locations but the LOOT masterlist is not currently one of these locations. A new page of bash tags will be added soon, or a line will be added to the mods, that can be used with xEdit to add the proper bash tags to plugin headers.

Again.. the previous step has just taken me through this (had to do bash tags in Wrye Flash as the xEdit script failed), so why are we talking about this?

Wrye Flash can indicate that the masters for a particular mod are not ordered properly. This happens fairly often, but can be fixed fairly easily. First, note which plugins have this problem.

Sounds good... how does it indicate that?

Once a good plugin order has been determined, load the plugins into xEdit.

So... I load Wrye Flash through Mod Organizer.. and now I should load xEdit through Wrye Flash (which was opened through Mod Organizer) ?!?

For each plugin that has misordered masters: highlight the plugin in xEdit right click to plugin and select Sort Masters When this has been done for all the mods with misordered masters, close xEdit and accept the changes.

No problem.. done this a "thousand" times when modding Skyrim. Also, this is a perfect example of a good instruction. It's short, precise and can't be misinterpreted.

I'm still working on the rest, but I'll update it, should I find any regularities :)

1) Wrye Flash for FO3 is a bit different....

2) It's not saying you need to think about load order. It's saying that there's an explanation in the Load Order section as to why Lock Times is an issue.

3) If all the Bash tags are fine, then no issue. Sometimes what LOOT has and what Wrye has isn't always the same is all.

4) Usually that'll show an ORANGE box next to the mod plugin name where the tick is. That means a mod's masters are not sorted in the same way as the mod header is FO3 Edit expects them. It's easy to fix in xEdit by loading your whole order in, allowing it to load and then selecting the offending plugin, right clicking and issuing the Sort Masters commend.

5) No. Use xedit through MO again.

6) Is an explanation of 4) essentially.

I'm sorry you don't like the current version of the Create a Bashed Patch section. It has evolved based on user comments, questions, and fairly widespread misunderstandings of bashed patches. I think you will find portions of the presented information is hard to find in the official documentation or isn't available. This section is intended as a reference section that intentionally provides more detail than some other sections that are minimalistic installation instructions.  It still won't answer all the questions, even in conjunction with the official documentation, but is intended to address some of the ones that are frequently asked.It is intended to be used along with the official documentation; I'll make that more clear.