Bethesda: A Cesspit of Endless Theft and Greed

mlee3141

Bethesda is destroying the modding community with their joke of a platform, and their willful negligence of Modder's rights and concerns everywhere. After about a week, they have done nothing to address the issue of thefts on their platform, save for a DMCA policy that requires us to file complex legal documents every time our work is stolen! This situation is obviously not enough, and they have decided to spurn, and blatantly disrespect and disregard all modders with such statements such as calling us "hackers", and dehumanizing us with such tactics as segregating their respective platforms for the PC/ XBox1/ PS4, refusing to show modder's names on the downloads page at betheftda.aids, and ignoring (even encouraging, with their segregated platforms) the active culture of piracy on their site.

Now, you would think they've done enough damage to the modding community already, but no! They've taken things a step further in the throes of endless greed, and decided to make a quick cash-grab with their highly destructive and invasive "re-master" of Skyrim! I have every confidence that the upcoming "re-master" will not only break the millions of mods for Skyrim already out there, but it will offer no new features of worth whatsoever (such as a new story/ main questline, or a 64 bit exe), but instead, will use this as an excuse to open the floodgates to the console crowd, and throw the toxicity of paid modding on top of that! They plan to announce this at the E3 convention on Saturday, and when this is officially confirmed, I'm done with modding and the Nexus forever.

All of my mod pages will be nuked, and all of my future projects will not be published (even team efforts; I'll make things clear from the start.) I will still leave my website up though, and stay in touch with my friends from the Nexus. I find it very sad that it had to come to this, but I want to leave before the storm of the century hits. Things will get worse, I'm sure, when bethaidsda.FYouHackers start taking down sites like the Nexus to stifle out competition, and keep modding under their boot of tyranny and oppression. I won't be there to fight them on this, although I would dearly love to, but I'm sick and tired of all the drama and pure exploitation of the modding community.

Now then, what can you do to fight Bethesda in my stead? Make your voice heard! Boycott them! Flood them with complaints! Stop buying their games, stop uploading your mods to Bethesda.net, stop being silent and post exactly what you think of their wanton destruction on their "official" site! Share the experiences of modders like me who had to go through hell on earth, thanks to Bethaidsda, and are taking down their mods in droves, or retiring from modding altogether. Step up, and become a new generation of free modders, unbound by any but our own hearts and minds; driven onward by mutual respect! Don't let our sacrifice be in vain! As long as the free spirit of a true modding community remains, then we shall never truly die. Long live free modders everywhere!

• +1 1

I've not been a part of that Bethesda.net group to be adding mods on there so I don't know how that is, but any big corporation is going to runs things like that. Anything provided directly from them, I would never expect to have the same freedoms that Nexus allowed. Just best I not get into that here.

I'll hold my judgement for after any official announcements.

Edit:

Topic Moved

Ahh.... the "master" of drama has returned after the recent backfire with Mod Picker.

2 things..

1. Yes, the current practice of mod piracy is not good, I agree, and Bethesda could do better to combat it.

2. You don't know if it's Skyrim Remastered. How about you wait spewing bile before you actually know what you're talking about.

I don't mod for Bethesda (or Obsidian - since they made FNV). I mod for the players, and the great communities both here and elsewhere. Nothing Bethesda does can make me stop that. I must admit at being slightly confused by some mod authors removing their mods from other sites and sometimes even other games. Now of course, the mod piracy (to the extent that I know of it) is a very serious issue and I understand the outrage. Yet, why punish the communities that have helped facilitate the interest and development of hundreds of authors? At least, for any authors that may be reading this, consider letting your mods stay up for other Bethesda games, as you will probably find it was the community that you wanted to have them, not the developer/publisher you paid for the game. I am not criticizing anyone's decision, just appealing to you to reconsider. 

As with Tech, I will be holding my judgement (about the remastered Skyrim edition) until further announcements are made. Might not even be for the PC (and hence not break any mods).

• +1 1

So it is coming for pc as well...but for the life of me i can't find anywhere mentioning 64 bit...and apperantly it is a free update.

If it is 64 bit and since i am ignorant on the topic , what would be changed mod wise?For example will a simple update for mods suffice for a support or every mod will need a huge overhaul?

So it is coming for pc as well...but for the life of me i can't find anywhere mentioning 64 bit...and apperantly it is a free update.

If it is 64 bit and since i am ignorant on the topic , what would be changed mod wise?For example will a simple update for mods suffice for a support or every mod will need a huge overhaul?

No one yet knows... More info needed from Bethesda. SKSE will likely need an update. ENB will need a new binary, which I really hope Boris does. MO2 will be needed. As to everything else...again, we just need more info.

Yeah, Bethesda will release more info about it over time before release so we'll know a bit more. We're assuming it's 64-bit because the PS4 and Xbox One have 64-bit architecture; however, that still doesn't mean it'll be 64-bits. Making it so would solve some issues though like the RAM limit when modding. Hopefully they took the time to fix some other long-standing bugs as well.

As Neb said, we'll need a new SKSE, new MO (if it's 64-bit), and new ENBSeries binaries (if it's 64-bit boris will have a leg up due to FO4). As for mods, the way Bethesda is talking most mods will work just fine. Only the larger mods like SkyUI, RaceMenu, ect would have to be re-worked some. Most mods are just assets so I fully expect all asset mods to similar port over without any work. I would also assume many of the mods with plugins would port over fairly easily. I doubt they changed so much that plugins from the original Skyrim would stop working. The simpler mods that don't work will likely be easy to fix. I don't say any of this with certainty, but that's what I'm predicting.

If they left it as a 32-bit game then it would just be the same game with some extra DLC basically. If it is the same thing as the Xbone and PS4 version then it would be a port and would be 64-bit. There isn't any reason for them not to make it 64-bit though since it is easier than ever to port over games because they all run x86 now. No more Cell architecture stuff to worry about.