Giving it a shot again...

DarNified UI
Core 
  • Author: DarN
  • Version: a11
  • Notes: Use the 7zip version available in the referenced download site when installing with Mod Organizer, not the fomod version available elsewhere. The hotfix version (f3a11_HF.7z) is not needed as it is already incorporated into"DarnUI_Support_for_FWE" which will be downloaded as part of the next mod. The Author's Page in the Bethesda forums has more details about the mod.
  • Fallout NV EquivalentDarnified UI, the follow-on mod from DarN for Fallout NV
  • Installation: To install this mod with MO click [Manual], then [Okay] during the installation or the default installer will skip a very important file.

Even though this mod never made it out of beta it is still complete enough to be used for all interface text. Some other modders have also expanded the DarNified font to other parts of the game.

In the next step (FWE) we're instructed to download - and a few steps later install - "DarnUI_Support_for_FWE". It's mentioned that this plugin is used instead of the Darnified UI one.

If it overwrites the original, won't be be "optimal" to move the "DarNifiedUIF3.esp" to Optional ESPs?

FWE - FO3 Wanderers Edition
If MMM is used, then when Creating a Bashed Patch select "FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esm", then right click the bash tags window in the lower right of the Wrye Flash window and remove Names.

This critical information is not mentioned in the "Creating a Bashed Patch" much later in the guide. Many people (myself included) would not have remembered this step many hours later when finally reaching the ending of the guide.

Edited by JUNKdeLUXE

Flashlight
Core 
  • Author: documn
  • Version: 1.5
  • Notes: Some users have low framerate when the flashlight is turned on; I don't have this problem myself
  • RequirementsFOSE
  • Fallout NV EquivalentFlashlight NVSE, a similar but expanded mod for Fallout NV by a different author.
  • Installation: Install only the Flashlight-LOS.esp plugin.

Great mod to use with darker nights. This really helps navigate the wastes for users that do not want to always use the Advanced Recon Thermal Nightvision modes.

It's not mentioned what file to download as per your usual habit.

Edited by JUNKdeLUXE

it is.. for me.  A user that might not have modded before, would expect the guide to mention a file to install as all previous steps has done this.

I'm just pointing out all the potential problems with the guide that some might stumble over, so it's easier for the next modder. 

Edited by JUNKdeLUXE

DarnUI Support for FWE
Core 
  • Author: FWE Team
  • Version: v6.02
  • RequirementsFOSEDarNified UI, FWE
  • Notes: This mod includes an updated version of the DarNifiedUIF3.esp plugin (which already includes the DarNifiedUIF3 hotfix) and several versions of DarNified UI menus modified for compatibility with FWE. It is installed just before installing UIO so the Menus\main\hud_main_menu.xml file from this mod overwrites any files from other UI mods with the same name. With most UI mods the installation order doesn't matter when using UIO, but a mod making extensive changes tohud_main_menu.xml as DarnUI does needs to be installed after the other UI mods that may also include generic versions of this file. After UIO is installed and the game is started the first time with UIO installed, deactivating or uninstalling this mod will cause errors in the Pipboy UI. This mod will need to be reinstalled to fix the problem.
  • Installation: If this hasn't already been done, download "DarnUI_Support_for_FWE". Install this mod with MO. When installing this mod with MO, in some cases by default it will be named "FWE - FOE Wanderers Edition." It needs to have a separate name (e.g., DarnUI Support for FWE) so it won't be merged with the rest of the FWE files; otherwise the UI will not work properly.

Red emphasis mine

As of the current guide, this step is not immediately before UIO. Both aHUD and iHUD are between this step and UIO.

It's not mentioned what file to download as per your usual habit.

Take a look at the Fallout NV guide and most of the other guides on STEP. The Nexus (or other) download name isn't typically included if there is only one choice or if the choice is fairly obvious.

There is always a tradeoff on how much text is used in a guide. The CPD guide provides more detail than the other STEP guides for the most part; some users already feel it could be shortened. 

The downloaded file for Flashlight has several plugins, but the guide does mention which one to use.

I only mention it because you usually have written it like this:

Download and install the main file with MO.

A person with lesser understanding could possibly be a bit confused when he is asked to:

• Installation: Install only the Flashlight-LOS.esp plugin.

There are no files called this in the files page on Nexus.

Again - I'm just trying to go through your guide a second time and mention the things that a new user could possibly misunderstand, miss completely or might confuse him/her. What you do with the information is totally up to you.

DarnUI Support for FWE

I feel the full sentence is sufficient:  It is installed just before installing UIO so the Menus\main\hud_main_menu.xml file from this mod overwrites any files from other UI mods with the same name.   One implication is that mods with no Menus\hud_main_menu.xml can load after the FWE version of DarNified UI. Gopher suggests installing aHud and iHud as close in installation order to UIO, by the way.

The FNV version of UIO is apparently more flexible in the installation order of DarnUI, but for FO3 I've tested extensively with different installation orders and noted what happens. The guide provides some indication of the "why" for the UI mods, but few users are interested in the full details. If you want to see what happens when it isn't right go to the FNV guide forum and look at the large number of posts after the guide was initially released about problems getting the UI mods installed so they work correctly. Those that didn't closely follow the instructions had problems, as the guide author said they would.

The alternative would be to leave out any discussion of why this is done. I could do that and just say follow the instructions, as most of the STEP guide authors have, if it would actually reduce confusion. I felt it helps more experienced users so they understand what is happening, but if it isn't actually useful it can be eliminated.

The purpose of the explanation was that experienced users, who are the ones more likely to add or remove mods in their game, should be able to tell whether a new mod they want to add will affect UIO without necessarily having to ask questions in the forum.

Enhanced Weather - Rain and Snow v2 Hotfix
  • Author: Skingrad24
  • Version: v2.0b
  • Notes: Enhanced Weather is an excellent weather overhaul that works well with Dynamic Weather. It adds rain and snow storms (snow in winter only) and makes the nights fairly dark. It also includes higher resolution night sky and moon textures than those in vanilla. Make sure that the Enchanced Weather - Radioactive Rain and Snow Plugin in never active; it causes far too many problems.High rain can cause performance problems in less capable systems; the Anti-CPU stress For -Enhanced Weather - Rain and Snow v2 mod might prove useful but problems with using it have been reported.
  • Installation:

Red emphasis mine

Is anything else needed than the following steps explained here:

When installation is complete, double click the mod in the left pane of MO and select the Optional ESPs tab.

Move Enhanced Weather - REBOOT.esp and Enhanced Weather - Rain and Snow in Fallout.esp to Optional ESPs.

I'm left a bit confused from this. Following these instructions I have 2 files left in Optional Files:

• Enhanced Weather - Rain and Snow.esm
  • Enhanced Weather - Weather Sounds In Interiors.esp

Can both of these files be activated in the right pane of Mod Organizer?