Inaccurate FPS reading in ENB

syw651

Question

I've recently added the mods from SRLE Extended to SRLE.

When I enter the ENB menu (shift+enter), I get a reading of 5000-7000 FPS. When I check my FPS with an external program (FRAPs), I get 35-50 which is what I was getting with SRLE.

I've also found that it takes a lot longer to (~5 minuts) for MO to run SKSE now.

Having said all that, the game itself seems to run fine but I'm worried that these inconsistencies are symptoms of a deeper issue that will eventually crash my game. Has anyone else experienced/fixed anything like this?

11 answers to this question

The number of mods does not matter as much as the amount of texture memory you require. That takes time to load is textures.. if you have a slow HDD then this will become an even larger issue. Should not be an issue for an SSD.. but for 7000rpm HDD´s it will become noticeable quite quickly. 

Try to disable the texture parts of your mod list and then test without all of that. (Just all the ones that do not come with .esp´s etc. Most of them should be landscape and skin etc.)

I know it is longer to start at least for me, but it's never took 5 minutes just to start skse itself. For me it is like 15 - 20 seconds. I don't know if it is normal or not, but I assume it is since using mods or not it is the same.

The only differences is how fast the Skyrim Menu is showing up because of the amount of mods. But 5 minutes to open SKSE that's just too long I think, maybe tune up your pc or diagnosed it? To check for slow down

Edited by reddvilzz

Nebulous: Thanks. Good to know there's nothing wrong there.

Reddvilzz: That doesn't sound so good. I've only had this PC for 5 months, so I hope I haven't done anything during that short period that could cause lasting harm... I don't have much bloat in general and I'm loading from an SSD that only has windows/Dota/Skyrim installed so I think that part should be okay. (Side note: I don't really have much expertise with computers, so that's the kind of thing that I think of when I hear tune up. Maybe you mean it in a more technical way that I'm completely missing?)

I'm also not entirely sure what you mean by SKSE starting. Maybe a bit of background on what's happening on my end would help clarify things. I timed how long each step of the loading took in the hopes that it will help:

-When I run SKSE in MO, SKSE pops up immediately and then disappears but MO is locked. However, it doesn't lock up my PC and I'm free to browse the web/open up word documents/etc. while this is happening. This period lasts for 2 minutes. Is this the step you consider SKSE starting?

-Then the screen goes black and my cursor becomes a waiting icon. This period lasts for about 1 minute. I've always thought of this period as the mods loading up. No real evidence, it's just how I've always thought of it.

-The imperial logo and the ENB information appear on screen, but continue/new/load/etc. don't appear for another 30 seconds. Intuitively, I'd guess that this part where the ENB presets are being loaded, but I only use ENBoost (I don't like the art style of Vividian) so it doesn't really make sense why this should take so long. Turning on Vividian ENB doesn't change this time either.

-Unfortunately I don't know when this issue started as I read somewhere that each time you add a bunch of new mods the first load will take longer. I had assumed this was just that first load delay and so I didn't think it was important enough to make a mental note of when it started.

Anyway, thanks for the help so far. Hopefully this will just be another common bug that doesn't point to any deeper issues.

UPDATE: In my original post, I said that the game itself runs fine. That's possibly no longer true as I've had my first CTD. I suspect it's a Block Heap issue, as I tried to prevent future CTD by increasing the Default Heap but when I made the change it causes a CTD every time I get to step 3 of the loading process I mentioned above. I'm not sure if it's bad manners to start a new thread for that or if it has any connection to this issue, so I'm adding it here in the hopes that any bit of extra information will help work out what's going on.

Edited by syw651

Yes that is what I called SKSE starting, but for mine it doesn't tale 2 minutes long it will only take around 30 seconds for it to transition to the black screen with waiting cursor (this is part where skyrim.exe is starting) and it took me another 30 seconds to shown the skyrim logo and then another 10 - 15 seconds sometimes 30 seconds to show up the menu.

For the CTD when you changed the Block Heap you might want to try read this since you use enb https://forum.step-project.com/topic/710-enb-guide/?p=109854.

Well for the slowdown I have no idea what's causing it, it could be hardware dependent or maybe mods that causing it. Because I was have patchusmaximus.esp 17mb in size and yeah it cause a massive slow down when trying to reach main menu (a.k.a. new game/load menu) 1 or 2 minutes to show up the menu. And I just live with it because it is the limitation of 32bit engine to handle that big of a file.

Edit: how many mods currently you have installed?

Edited by reddvilzz

i got around 450+ mods installed with 203 esps. It takes around 2-3 minutes to get to the menu everytime I load skyrim. the more mods you install the more time it takes to load all of them

edit: anyway since i use the window mode i can browse the net until it loads so no problem to me...

edit2: for the fps i use Elys Meminfo and it registers the correct fps

Edited by paul666root

Reddvilzz: That ENB thread fixed the CTD for me, thanks!

Paul666root: Regarding the number of mods, I've tried to keep as close as possible to SRLE Extended so I have a pretty similar number to you. That's 450+ mods and ~210 plugins. Is the loading time mostly tied to your RAM, storage or CPU? Cause I'm looking at your system specs and I have the same storage type and amount of RAM so maybe it makes sense we have similar load times? I'm not familiar with CPUs so I'm not sure where my CPU measures up against a FX-8120 though.

Side note: I think that system specs thing is a pretty cool idea. It lets you get a better feel for how close the numbers should be based off how close their specs are to your own.

On my weak laptop SKSE takes 10s and main menu 20s to load.

Thats with game + MO installed on SSD, the same for game on HDD and MO on SSD, and +10s on main menu for game + MO on HDD.

Check if you drivers, bios and softwares are up to date, they may be not...

DMCbr: I think my drivers/bios are up to date. Which software should I be checking to make sure they are up to date?

If you don't mind me asking, do you use SRLE or SRLE Extended? It seems like the number of mods matter (I'm assuming that because two people asked me that in this thread).

DragonKing: I did as you suggested and it seemed to help.

When most of the textures were disabled, it took literally 2 seconds to get to the black screen and it slowly crept up to 50 seconds as I added everything back in. This is already considerably better than what I had before (2 minutes) even though I have no idea what changed. It's a good sign though, as it suggests the previous issue was due to some fixable error or my part. (Why am I so happy to find out I am actually incompetent? Is this what modding does to a guy?! :D)

The black screen took 50 seconds to load regardless, which is pretty similar to the time I was getting before. So that loading time seems to be independent of texture mods. I thought it might have something to do with loading large .esps, so I disabled everything but the black screen still took 50 seconds. Does anyone know what is happening during this time and how to bring this time down?

Finally, the time between logo and menu showing up went from 0 seconds to 15 seconds. I assume this was the ENB needing to load more  things with more textures.

When most of the textures were disabled, it took literally 2 seconds to get to the black screen and it slowly crept up to 50 seconds as I added everything back in. This is already considerably better than what I had before (2 minutes) even though I have no idea what changed. It's a good sign though, as it suggests the previous issue was due to some fixable error or my part. (Why am I so happy to find out I am actually incompetent? Is this what modding does to a guy?! :D)

Pretty much. :;):

By the way, the names are on the border line above the message and avatar. The Dragon King above the avatar is just a reference to the number of posts.