Weapon replacer mod questions.

GrantSP

Question

I'm going through the guide again and I've come to the part of the install wher we install the Millenia Assaultrifle Replacers RH WMK Patch and I just don't see what the necessity is with these steps.

The guide, following the instructions from the mod page, tells us to also grab the FalloutNV mod: HK G3SG1, which provides some additional meshes, textures and sounds. Open it and copy into the mod we are installing the meshes, textures and sounds from the FNV mod. That's okay, the instructions are clear, but for the life of me I see no reason to do so.

Unless further down the page we are making/installing another plugin that references these meshes/textures/sounds, nothing we just installed is being used in game!

Could I get a little insight into what is happening here?

Edited by GrantSP
Changed the thread to be more generic and added info in the first post about the first query.

12 answers to this question

I'll tack this little observation to this thread.

In the "Weapons" section we have 3 mods included in 'Millenia's', then a few from 'Zealotlee' and then we're back into 'Millenia's'.

I'm assuming this is just a bit of an editing mistake since I see no reason to break up 'Millenia's' into 2 sections.

It seems the same question can be posed about the .32 pistol as it uses assets from the FNV mod but no references to them that I can see are in the FO3 plugin.

I may be just having a "senior moment" but I can't see what we are doing here.

I'll tack this little observation to this thread.

In the "Weapons" section we have 3 mods included in 'Millenia's', then a few from 'Zealotlee' and then we're back into 'Millenia's'.

I'm assuming this is just a bit of an editing mistake since I see no reason to break up 'Millenia's' into 2 sections.

Millenia's mods are intentionally put in two sections; the headings should have explanations of this but they are currently incomplete and will be fixed The first set of these mods includes two mods using Millenia textures for vanilla replacers compatible with WMK, RH_Ironsights, or both (unlike the Millenia mods in the later subsection which aren't compatible with either). The AK-7 mod is in this section only because it is needed for use with the Millenia Assaultrifle Replacers RH WMK Patch mod. The later set of Millenia mods unfortunately don't support either WMK or RH_Ironsights, and they aren't balanced for FWE without the Ghostwise mod.

I was never sure how to organize the weapon mods in way that clearly showed the differences between the different groups of mods, especially since many of them are incompatible (e.g., installing the main set of Millenia mods means that most of the vanilla replacers can't be used). Any suggestions? I suppose a matrix could be created showing what is compatible with what, but it's very hard to format this with STEP guide formatting.

Part of the problem with the STEP guide formatting is that there isn't any difference in the formatted guide between the third and fourth set of topic levels, which makes it harder to show some of the intended overall differences.

I don't know if this is the best way, but it's how I've done it with the TTW guide recently. I give two choices for weapons. The choice is either new custom meshes and textures for unique weapons or having WMK. I originally separated them on the main page having Weapons - Unique Uniques (Choice A - Choose only one) and Weapons - WMX (Choice B - Choose only one), but have since chosen Unique Uniques as the main supported choice, and moved WMK choice to a separate page. I think it helps with the length of the guide so it doesn't seem as intimidating and clearly demarcates that there is an exclusive choice of what subset of mods you can use.

I've been trying to include multiple options since personally I emphasize using mods with improved textures + WMK+ Ironsights + FWE balance. A lot to ask for, but a subset of the mods provide it especially in conjunction with some of the Wasteland Patch Collection patches.

I'm going through the guide again and I've come to the part of the install wher we install the Millenia Assaultrifle Replacers RH WMK Patch and I just don't see what the necessity is with these steps.

The guide, following the instructions from the mod page, tells us to also grab the FalloutNV mod: HK G3SG1, which provides some additional meshes, textures and sounds. Open it and copy into the mod we are installing the meshes, textures and sounds from the FNV mod. That's okay, the instructions are clear, but for the life of me I see no reason to do so.

Unless further down the page we are making/installing another plugin that references these meshes/textures/sounds, nothing we just installed is being used in game!

Could I get a little insight into what is happening here?

The instructions were taken from the Nexus page for the mod.

I'm not sure the plugin uses all of these resources (especially the meshes) from the FNV mod, but I know it at least uses the textures (I haven't checked the sounds). If you look at the meshes referenced in the plugin (these are provided by the main Millenia Assaultrifle Replacer mod) and open these in Nifskope you'll see that the textures for the G3SG1 (as an example) are expected to be in the textures\weapons\mmp\G3SG1\ folder as opposed to the same folder hierarchy as the meshes (meshes\weapons\2handautomatic\G3AssaultRifle\).

how is it going with the install so far Grant?

are my difficulties an Error 40 or is there something to it?

Taking my time with this, I've a few things on the go and I'm terrible at time management, so it when it happens - it happens. But I'll say that so far, I'm up to section 28 Compatibility Patches, and I haven't seen any glitches in my game.

One or two very minor points about what is or isn't mentioned in the mod descriptions or their installation instructions, but nothing that would make a broken install.

no rush :)

concerning an earlier topic in this thread.. I think (for me) that some of the difficulties is that there are choices to take within the guide that are mutually exclusive. To me a guide should have one clear install (core and optionals as in the STEP), and then in packs? have various ways to alter the install.