LOOT CTD's even with webroot exclusion in place

Wolvyreen

Question

Hi,

I have been using loot without any issues through MO and suddenly, when executing loot, it would popup the unlock button window and after a short time, it will CTD with no reason whatsoever. So after doing some research, I found a thread that explains it could be my AV so I disabled Webroot and LOOT functions perfectly.  So I proceeded to add an exclusion for loot.exe and tried again yet loot will still CTD.  Disable Webroot and it's perfect.

After more and more testing, I noticed that certain mods can be disabled in MO and loot will function fine even with Webroot realtime scan running but enabling those mods, causes it to CTD.  So I enabled those mods and disabled webroot and loot works perfectly.

What the heck could I be missing?!?

Here is the error in my MO.log

DEBUG (19:47:09.0356): indexing Audio Overhaul for Skyrim 2

INFO (19:47:09.0362): Windows Exception (c0000005). Origin: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll" (77e2dc0e). Last hooked call: 
INFO (19:47:09.0362): Windows Exception (c0000005). Origin: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll" (77e16d79). Last hooked call: 

Here is the event viewer log:

Faulting application name: Loot.exe, version: 0.9.1.0, time stamp: 0x576b84b3

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.10586.306, time stamp: 0x571afb7f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00026d79
Faulting process id: 0x3d44
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1d61caa1e5f24
Faulting application path: C:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim\LOOT\Loot.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: dc03f470-7518-47f4-b1dc-250036ae8b4d
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Any opinions and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Wolvy

3 answers to this question

Have you added an exclusion for Mod Organizer to Webroot?

EDIT: I suspect what's happening is the Mod Organizer is hooking into the file system APIs and some overzealous antivirus software immediately shut it down thinking it's malware. You probably don't really need the exclusion for Loot, although it doesn't hurt.

If by your inclusion of the MO log we can surmise "Audio Overhaul" is one of the mods that, when enabled, you see this error, the most likely reason is that mod includes a lot of *.wav files and they are commonly used by nefarious types to transport viruses and other malware and thus overly zealous AV packages will target anything that handles them. Since the system is seeing MO suddenly provide these files into memory and LOOT is trying to access them, it tries to circumvent any issue but falls over in it's attempts to do so.

tl;dr

Most AV packages are very bad at handling legitimate software that employ 'hooking' such as MO.

Hi,

Yes Audio Overhaul is part of it.  what you say makes alot of sense!

So I'm not sure why but suddenly loot opens without issues witha ll my mods running.  I haven't changed anything except by addint the exclusions.  Maybe Webroot takes a while for the exclusion to take affect?!?

Wolvy