Opening Scene Overhaul by elderscrolliangamer aka Publick Gamer

Shadriss

I was surprised to see this on the Nexus today, as I would have THOUGHT that any cut content would already have been handled and brought back to life by CRF - apparently I was wrong, or so this mod claims.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/77027/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D77027%26preview%3D&pUp=1

I haven't done anything with it yet, but it is interesting to note that both Lokir and Hadvar apparently had different voices originally... including yet another voice for Belethor's VA in Lokir's case. Figured it was worth a quick look, or at least some small amount of discussion at any rate.

• +1 1

Marked for Testing.

I just played through this and I feel it adds a lot of small nuances which tie in perfectly with the rest of the game's story. I loved having more of an introduction of the civil war as part of the intro. This aspect of the story is important throughout the game and this helps you understand more of that from the start. I didn't see anything that departed from the original intent. This mod just simply improves upon it. At this point, it's very much Core content, imo.

O.o

Didn't think it would make it to that point, but I won't disagree... That said, a few things I noticed playing through:

A) As mentioned, the voices for Lokir and Hadvar are different. This is carried out throughout the entire game (Not that there's much of any other content for Lokir...) with the exception for a line WRT the standing stones, apparently. I haven't played that far yet, so I can't confirm that as yet, but I'm working on it. I keep getting my 'walking in place' error on entry to Helgen Keep that I have problems tracking down.

B) Not sure how this has/is happening, but my audio for this is starting even before the "Bethesda Presents" screen appears on game start, so all the conversation is finished long before you even get to the gate... thus the Tullius lines are completely missed, though I do catch Elenwen complaining about authority. Even that is an improvement over what was there before, but I'd LOVE to hear everything.

A new version just hit the street today, so hoping the last one is addressed, in addition to the other fixes he already made. I'll drop a line in the comments on the mod to let him know about the thread... would have done it already, if I'd thought you would play this as a possible Core contender.

Just finished it out (imperial side). Didn't notice anything game breaking, but I can confirm there are a few lines that are showing subtitles, but no spoken lines (saw this twice), and the two lines (four total, depending on which Stone you choose) don't appear to be there either, as was indicated in the description. I get the IMPRESSION he may be looking at some way of getting that line in (though it was never recorded, I don't think?). Also saw a few places where the dialog and the subtitles don't match (We should split us VS. That's where I'm going, you should come with me... the latter makes SO much more sense...), but only someone who has subtitles on all the time (me) would really notice that.

As to the issues I mentioned earlier, the walk-in-place bug is somehow tied to DYNDOLOD, though I'm unsure how exactly. I just turn it off until I'm inside the keep, and everything's fine. Likely, the audio starting off is tied to a mod I have somewhere as well (maybe Kill the Orchestra? It could be tied into an audio cue, perhaps...) but either way, those appear to be my line-up, not the mod.

Hadvar's voice takes a small amount of getting used to, but overall I think it was done better than with the voice we are all used to... much more emotive and in place, so to speak. Just better delivery overall. If the author takes care of those issues I mentioned above (and even if he doesn't, to be honest...) this is a REAL good addition.

Also saw a few places where the dialog and the subtitles don't match (We should split us VS. That's where I'm going, you should come with me... the latter makes SO much more sense...), but only someone who has subtitles on all the time (me) would really notice that.

Hadvar's voice takes a small amount of getting used to, but overall I think it was done better than with the voice we are all used to... much more emotive and in place, so to speak. Just better delivery overall. If the author takes care of those issues I mentioned above (and even if he doesn't, to be honest...) this is a REAL good addition.

The subtitle issue is a quick and easy fix that would only take a couple minutes. All they have to do is change the text to what the dialogue says. I like Hadvar's new dialogue. It's more like he's a soldier talking to his superior officer so the dialogue aligns better with the captain's and general's. Whereas the stormcloak dialogue is more casual like one would expect of "rebels". It really gives you a sense of definement between the two sides just in this opening scene.

"HEY! ULFRIC! YOU'RE THE REASON WE'RE HERE!"

In his face. Not even inches from his face. And Ulfric... does nothing. Shows his real attitude at that moment - hopelessness. Kind of helps set the mood.

Honestly, I think it just needs those missing lines, and it's a shoe in.

Version 2 has been released, which fixes a few timing issues, the argument 'tween Tullius and Elenwen, and apparently restores something to the Stormcloak side of the escape - Ulfric escaping with you and Ralof. Haven't played this yet, and some are reporting issues with this last part (mostly that he isn't there...).

V2.1 looks pretty decent. Puts some replacement dialogue in for Hadvar at the standing stones from other lines that actor recorded... it's pretty non-specific ("Look at this!" "Wow!") but it does fill the silence well enough. Haven't tried the Stormcloak side yet, but it looks like Tech prefers that side to the Imperials (wierd-o), so I'm imagining that he'll get a good look at that fairly soon? Maybe? Hopefully? :)

In my first play-through I sided with the Imperials. So I thought I would side with the Stormcloaks this round. I never seen anything out of place siding with the stormcloaks the first time I went through it. The only issues were on the Imperial side of things due to the voice change.

• 10 months later...

Long time ago, but another version has gone up since then, and since this is still marked for testing...

Hadvar has now been completely re-voiced, to include all dialog AFTER Helgen, which means the voice is now consistent through the entirety of the game. This is good.

It is also incompatible with LAL, unless a very specific order of operations is followed, specifically not having this on until AFTER you have started a new game. If it's on, you get an eternal Nord choir at the opening menu. Turn it on once you are in the cell at the beginning of LAL, and there's no issues. Since that's not a STEP mod, there is no STEP compatibility issue either.

That said, I'd strongly push for this being included and accepted for Core.