All Grey Screen with no Freeze

Spartacusds

Question

As seen in the screen shots, my screen goes completely Grey with the exception of the  ancillary readers and lists.  The game play continues in the background.  I hear it all of the text and fighting (if any) but the cursor does not move the screen point of view (the compass does not move when I move the mouse).  As seen in screen shot 2, the keyboard is still active.  I can quit the game or even go in and load last save.  When I go in and load last save the Grey Screen goes away and normal game play resumes ..... until it goes grey again. If I hit ESC and try to go to maps it crashes. 

The Grey screen is happening sooner and sooner.  At first it would happen after 45 or so minutes of game play now it is happening within 5 minutes.  I have no issues on any other game or video, it just happens when I play Skyrim.  It started about a month ago.  I have disabled all mods and it still seems to happen.  It does not happen when anything specific is happening.  It has gone grey when sneaking through a cave and also when fighting a dragon, I can not seem to find any trigger.

I use mod Organizer, but just recently switched to it from NMM because of this issue (I was hoping it could help, it did not).  Compared to many, I am not very mod heavy.

I am running Windows 10 (64 bit)

Intel i7-3770T CPU @ 2.50 GHz

Amd Radeon HD 7800 M Series Graphics card with 16.6.2 Crimson software.

8 Gigs of Memory  with 1024 mb

Enblocal

[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=false
InitProxyFunctions=true
ProxyLibrary=other_d3d9.dll

[GLOBAL]
UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=True
UseDefferedRendering=False
IgnoreCreationKit=true

[PERFORMANCE]
SpeedHack=true
EnableOcclusionCulling=true

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=True
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=False
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512
VideoMemorySizeMb=4000
EnableCompression=True
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

[THREADS]
DataSyncMode=0
PriorityMode=0
EnableUnsafeFixes=false

[MULTIHEAD]
ForceVideoAdapterIndex=false
VideoAdapterIndex=0

[WINDOW]
ForceBorderless=true
ForceBorderlessFullscreen=true

[ENGINE]
ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true
MaxAnisotropy=16
ForceLodBias=false
LodBias=0.0
AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false
EnableVSync=true
VSyncSkipNumFrames=1

[LIMITER]
WaitBusyRenderer=false
EnableFPSLimit=false
FPSLimit=60.0

[iNPUT]
//shift
KeyCombination=16
//f12

MODS
I am running SKSE and ENB
Picture attached.

Thank you in advance for any help, this is getting very frustrating.  I have tried many different thing but to no avail.

[] 

post-9768-0-99276900-1468863843_thumb.jpg

post-9768-0-72127100-1468863900_thumb.jpg

post-9768-0-90114800-1468864630_thumb.jpg

Edited by Greg
Added spoiler tags

• Answers 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

In your OP, one of the screenshots shows your current list of mods. In it is a mod listed as 'Unmanaged' called XFLMain. What is this and why isn't it installed via MO?

That is just the Extended follower mod

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12933/?

I was using NMM before and it is still routed that way.  I have not moved it over because I would have to dismiss my 2 current followers to in order to install it in MO (or at least that is what I have been told)

You had a gray screen problem with NMM, switching to MO didn't fix it.

I think you need to sort out your computer setup before you move forward with correcting your game setup.

Your computer is misidentifying your video card.

1. AMD HD 7800 M series.

2. In PCI slot.

3. One Gb vram.

Those three statements can't all be true.

Since your computer is a desktop it should not be reporting an mobile GPU.

An AMD HD 7800 series GPU should be reporting TWO Gb vram.

I am going to suggest that:

You may have an incompatible driver.

You may need a BIOS update.

You may be experiencing hardware failure.

You may have your monitor hooked to the on-board graphics.

If your computer was manufactured by an OEM like Dell or HP or etc. did your check the manufacturer's support page for Window's 10 upgrade compatibility requirements and issues? If it has a proprietary BIOS it may need a proprietary GPU driver only available through the OEM.

If this is a DIY or custom built computer, what hardware is actually in the box (not what Windows is reporting)?

You had a gray screen problem with NMM, switching to MO didn't fix it.

I think you need to sort out your computer setup before you move forward with correcting your game setup.

Your computer is misidentifying your video card.

1. AMD HD 7800 M series.

2. In PCI slot.

3. One Gb vram.

Those three statements can't all be true.

Since your computer is a desktop it should not be reporting an mobile GPU.

An AMD HD 7800 series GPU should be reporting TWO Gb vram.

I am going to suggest that:

You may have an incompatible driver.

You may need a BIOS update.

You may be experiencing hardware failure.

You may have your monitor hooked to the on-board graphics.

If your computer was manufactured by an OEM like Dell or HP or etc. did your check the manufacturer's support page for Window's 10 upgrade compatibility requirements and issues? If it has a proprietary BIOS it may need a proprietary GPU driver only available through the OEM.

If this is a DIY or custom built computer, what hardware is actually in the box (not what Windows is reporting)?

Thanks for weighing in.

I am using a Samsung Desktop  https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/DP700A7D-X01US stock I have made no changes.

I ran a driver update program (driver agent) which showed that I needed some updates.

I updated every driver (which included some chipset).

I updated the AMD Driver ... yesterday there was nothing to update ... today there was.  

I deleted the AMD gaming evolved software from the computer.

I ran a BIOS check which says I need a BIOS update but I can't find an update anywhere for it.  The Samsung website does not provide one as far as I can tell.

I downloaded CPU-Z Which tells me the MotherBoard manufacturer and BIOS details but still can not find an update.

CPU-Z Identifies my graphics card correctly and says I clock at 300 MHz and have 150 MHz memory with 1024 MB memory with it.

My Device Manager is recognizing my AMD Radeon HD as it's display adapter.

When I start Skyrim in the upper Left hand corner is recognizes my AMD Radeon.

I am running windows 10 and I did do a compatibility check through the Samsung website. Everything seemed to come out ok.

As far as hardware failure, everything else works perfectly as far as I can tell.  I only get this grey screen when I play Skyrim.

After all this, the Grey Scren still appeared within 5 min of playing.

Any thoughts on how I can update my BIOS would be helpful.

Edited by Spartacusds

The one thing that jumps out at me is your monitor is 1920 x 1080, but you are telling Skyrim that you are running at 1600 x 900.

I'm not seeing anything in the way of a bios update either, nor any driver downloads either. The GPU is proprietary so you might try the original driver that you were using with win 8.1.

Everything about your computer is geared toward energy efficiency. 

I really doubt you need to update your BIOS.

You basically have a laptop. Those all-in-one desktop computers like that are basically the same as laptops, just presented differently.

Are you running ENBoost?

I never thought of it like that, but it makes sense. 

Yes I am.  I installed it after I got the grey screen in an attempt to fix it.

A quick question ....

Y'all have said things like skyrim is seeing the wrong Vid card or in this case  saying that I am telling it my monitor is smaller and I am wondering where you are seeing that.  When I open skyrim using the skyrim launcher instead of SKSE it gives me a menu.  On the right side it offers Play, Options, Data Files, Tech Support and Exit.  When I choose Options it shows my Graphics Adapter as the "AMD Radeon HD 7800M Series" and it is showing my Resolution as "1920x1080" which conflicts with what you are seeing so I am just wondering where that difference is. 

That seems odd to me because when I start Skyrim in the upper left corner it has txt that shows it is recognizing the correct Vid card but with your comments in mind I went in and made the changes / add's to the ini anyway.

I played and the game and did a small simple quest.  The audio seemed off from the game play but when I completed the quest, it updated right away (big change from before) however before I was able to do anything else the game froze (not the computer, just the game and it did not crash just froze).  I went to maps and it stopped there.

Still confused from the original no card in ini, I did a search of the skyrim folder and found there are 2 "Skyrimprefs.ini" files.

The one I modified that did not have the vid card listed is in

>Skyrim>Skyrim

The other is in 

>Skyrim>Mod Organizer>profiles>Default

They are not copies of each other.  The one in MO has the vid card listed but is in a different place than where I added it to the on in the Skyrim >Skyrim file.

Is this correct?

I would post it, but I tried before but was told not to just paste it and I don't know how to add it properly.

Your sD3DDevice= will be different from TechAngel85's. That the line is missing from your skyrimprefs.ini means that you did not set the game up correctly the first time.

I was mistaken about your video card info, because I did not take into account that your "desktop" computer might be an all in one.

@TechAngel85 Will SpINI fix a game that was not installed correctly, with .inis initially set by Bethesda on first run?

Your sD3DDevice= will be different from TechAngel85's. That the line is missing from your skyrimprefs.ini means that you did not set the game up correctly the first time.

I was mistaken about your video card info, because I did not take into account that your "desktop" computer might be an all in one.

@TechAngel85 Will SpINI fix a game that was not installed correctly, with .inis initially set by Bethesda on first run?

When I added the sD3 line, I put mine in not his, but thanks for pointing that out.

It is possible that it was not set up correctly in the first place.  My son set it up to begin with but it has been working perfectly for over a year possibly 2 years with mods included until just a few months ago this issue came up.

SpINI will work as long as the launcher has been ran once, which it has.

Only edit the INIs associated with the MO profile. Don't change any other INI related to Skyrim on your system. These are in the second location you mentioned. SpINI should pick up the MO profile INIs on its own. These can be edited manually within MO via the INI Editor (don't use the configurator).

After Win 10 was released Microsoft changed the way it allocated memory for 32 bit programs like Skyrim. Win 10 is now limited to a total 4 Gb memory for 32 bit. That change when it happened will show up a flawed set up that might have run okay before.